PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Profile of SMU quarterback prospect

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Profile of SMU quarterback prospect

Postby PonyPower » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:03 pm

Found this on Heartlandrecruiting.com. (Note that it was written long before Mt. Vernon QB Ricky Joe Meeks committed to SMU.)

The Bandera Bomber
By David Garvin
Date: Feb 25, 2002

Even coming off knee surgery, Bandera quarterback Brett Hicks is receiving much attention from D-I recruiters.

"I tore the ACL in my left knee at the end of the first quarter in our first playoff game against Carrizo Springs," Hicks said. "I don't know exactly what happened, but the turf was wet. Fortunately, the San Antonio Spur team physician, David Schmidt, performed the operation and it's coming along just fine. I'm scheduled to be cleared for workouts on May 16th."

Up to that point in the season, the 6-foot-four and , 185-pound quarterback was having a terrific year, completing 58-of-128 passes for 1,280 yards and 10 touchdowns with only five interceptions. Extremely nimble in running the option, Hicks added 475 rushing yards with five more scores. "Those running stats are a bit misleading," he said. "We had quite a few sacks at the beginning of the season that brought the total down."

Even so, Hicks posted these numbers while playing only 34 quarters as the Bulldogs totally dominated district 27-3A in 2001.

On tape, Hicks displays great footwork in setting up in a three-to-five step drop and delivering the ball. He looked especially good in throwing the seam route, rolling out to either side and throwing on the run and great touch on deep balls.

"That's something I need to continue to work on," Hicks said. "I thought I short-armed too many of my deep throws last year."

Brett was asked about interested parties.

"I've been receiving letters from Boston College, SMU, Rice, Michigan, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Texas, Texas Tech and Tulane," he said. "I may receive a couple of formal offers as soon as this week. I also plan on attending the summer camp at Texas Tech. After that, I'm not certain where I'll go."

Hicks, who benches 205, squats 335, runs a 4.65 forty and has a 28-inch vertical leap, was asked if he had one early favorite.

"I do, but they have not contacted me yet," he said. "I really like LSU and the area around New Orleans."
'
Hicks has two older sisters that currently attend Texas A&M, one that will be graduating in May.
PonyPower
All-American

Return to Recruiting