PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Two who will be stars

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Two who will be stars

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:31 pm

There are two guys out there that any of you who are into recruiting already know about. They are viewed as strong prospects by most high school coaching staffs, but they would be bona fide stars at SMU, where Coach Bennett's systems would allow them to thrive.

1. The first, and the one player who I think should be the #1 priority on the SMU recruiting list, is offensive lineman Jorrie Adams (6-6, 285, 4.8) of Jasper, Texas. His height and weight jump off the page at you, but the number that makes coaches drool is that 4.8 in the 40. For a player of his size, that's exceptionally quick. There are lots of tight ends and linebackers, and even a few running backs (OK, slow ones) who can't move like that. I've seen Adams play in person, and he's incredibly light on his feet. When he pulls on a sweep, he runs about as fast as the running back he's leading, and defenses have very little chance of getting to the running back until he's picked up considerable yardage. Adams is the type of player that defensive coordinators gameplan for, when it's usually the other way around.

2. Quarterback James Battle (6-0, 180, 4.6) of Denton (Ryan) is tailor-made for the Kansas State-turned-SMU offense that Coach Bennett brings down from Manhattan to Dallas. As a passer, he has a deceptively strong arm, whether it's on a deep ball or when delivering mid-range passes that require the ball to be delivered with velocity (he can throw most crossing patterns and even the "deep out" route). He sets his feet very quickly, whether he's in a three-step, five-step or seven-step drops. Really deep passes are still something of a heave (read: "erratic") for Battle, but he throws all the short and mid-range passes with zip and accuracy. But Battle also is a serious threat as a runner - enough so that some view him as a WR, DB or RB prospect. He plays faster than his 4.6 and he can stop on a dime and change direction instantly. What makes his speed dangerous is that his acceleration is unmatched - he hits top speed in about two or three steps. Remember watching Michael Bishop at K-State? Same kind of player, although Battle doesn't (yet) have Bishop's canon arm. But he can freeze oncoming pass rushers with a series of head- and hip-fakes and be gone downfield before the second wave of defenders realizes what's happened. Battle is a special talent and has a very bright future.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Re: Two who will be stars

Postby SMU00 » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:49 pm

Do you know if they're academically qualified?
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby Recruiting Guru » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:25 pm

I don't know if they've qualified.

Two more things to consider about Jorrie Adams:

1. SMU doesn't have a long history of players from Jasper, but that town is in East Texas - deep in the heart of Bennett Country. With all of Coach Bennett's connections in that part of the state, the Mustangs might have a legitimate shot at Adams.

2. He's not through growing. His frame is so lean he almost looks skinny, if that's possible at 285 pounds. His shoulders are very wide, and he has extremely long arms - meaning he could easily add 40 or 50 pounds with maturity and proper weight training. Considering how quick he is, he could add a lot of weight and strength and still be quicker than most offensive linemen. Like I said before, Jorrie Adams should be at the very top of Coach Bennett's wish list, at least in my opinion.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Casey » Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:10 pm

Might be a tough sell. Adams says he has had "too many offers to count."
Coach Bennett and his staff have their work cut out to get this kid.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Vitale » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:59 pm

Nebraska has Battle as the #1 QB prospect on its recruiting board.
Vitale
All-American

Postby 50's PONY » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:20 pm

Dear Guru,
I say this with all due respece, you are constantly listing names of players who have not shown ANY interest in S.M.U.! Today, Insiders, Emfinger and Heartland came out with updated lists and neither of these guys list S.M.U. among the 7-8 schools they are considering -- which usually means they have no interst in us. I admire you for saying that they are great players and should be at the top of Coach Bennett's list but sometimes you have to be a little realistic.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby Recruiting Guru » Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:19 pm

Dear 50s:
I welcome and appreciate all feedback. But as you pointed out, all I said was that these are talented players who SMU should try to get - not that they're interested in SMU. Some are, some aren't. And the list of players with interest in SMU -- and the list of players SMU coaches are interested in -- will change dramatically in the coming months. My comment about Adams said merely that because of Coach Bennett's connections in that part of the state, the Ponies MIGHT have a legitimate shot. At the moment, I'm hearing all the big schools that appear at the top of a lot of kids' lists. And as for Battle, I only said that Nebraska likes him, not that SMU has any kind of an inside track. Believe me, there will be a major recruiting battle over both of those kids.

So far, I'm just dropping names out there for fans to watch out for.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Return to Recruiting