PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive lineman with SMU connections

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offensive lineman with SMU connections

Postby Corso » Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:19 pm

Borrowed from heartlandrecruiting.com

By David Garvin
Date: Apr 30, 2002

Big, strong, quick, smart and versatile, Turner is certainly one center/guard prospect to keep an eye on in 2002.

Bryan Turner
Tyler (Lee HS), Texas
Birthday: 4-6-85
High School Position: Offensive center, guard
Projected College Position: Offensive center, guard
High School Head Coach: Mike Owens

6-foot-2

280 pounds

5.0 (40-yard dash)

4.7 (Shuttle)

Bench press: 365

Squat: 530

Vertical: 29 inches

GPA: 3.3

SAT: 1040

Planned Major in College: Pre-Med

Five College Choices: SMU, Alabama, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor

College summer camps to attend: Baylor, Texas A&M, Alabama

Favorite college team: Texas A&M

Parents attended college: SMU, UT-Tyler

-----------------------------------

If I was smart enough to figure out how to pirate and post a picture, I would (he can be found at <A HREF="http://heartlandrecruiting.TheInsiders.com/2/46447.html)." TARGET=_blank>http://heartlandrecruiting.TheInsiders.com/2/46447.html).</A> He looks tough, and has nice SMU connections. A parent went to SMU, and we're in his top 5 choices, but it looks like it will be a hard sell if A&M or 'Bama offers.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Offensive lineman with SMU connections

Postby PonyExpress » Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:12 pm

The 2003 college freshmen were born in 1985?
That hurts.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:21 pm

If he wants to go Pre-med, he would be hard pressed to find a better school where he could play football too. Approximately 60% of our pre-med students get accepted into medical schools....the national average for all pre-med schools is about 30%!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Wed May 01, 2002 3:04 pm

From what I've read on PonyFans.com, here are the offensive linemen I'd like to see sign with SMU:

Bryan Turner (6-2, 280, 5.2) Tyler Chapel Hill
Jorrie Adams (6-6, 285, 4.9) Jasper
Kyle Thornton (6-5, 300, 5.0) Dallas St. Mark's
Daniel Chavez (6-5, 290, 5.1) El Paso Del Valle
Edwin Harrison (6-5, 310, 5.1) Houston Westbury
Shannon Boatman (6-7, 290, 5.3) Beaumont Westbrook
Ofa Mohetau (6-3, 325, 5.0) Euless Trinity
Kharylake Martin (6-5, 340, 5.4) Dayton
Devarius Jackson (6-5, 330, 5.4) Killeen Harker Heights
Marcus Martin (6-5, 265, 5.0) Fort Worth Dunbar
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed May 01, 2002 3:15 pm

Good eye, Hoofprint. If Coach Bennett can land that gang of blockers - or even some of them - the offensive line will be set for years. Three or four of them could play (and play well) as true freshmen.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby PX » Wed May 01, 2002 10:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>If he wants to go Pre-med, he would be hard pressed to find a better school where he could play football too. Approximately 60% of our pre-med students get accepted into medical schools....the national average for all pre-med schools is about 30%!!!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, those numbers apply to 1st time applicants. 60% of smu pre-med students get acccepted to a medical school after their first round of applications. The norm is to apply to between 7-10 schools. Nationally, about 22% of all applicants get acccepted after their first round of applications.
Further I might mention that there is no such thing as a Pre-Med major. Most pre-med kids get biology degrees, because by the time you take all the med school prerequisites you're 3/4ths of the way to a biology degree anyway. You can major in anything, though, and go to med school, as long as you also take the required classes. Tommy Nabity had a Chemistry major and an English minor when he graduated year before last. He's our most recent athlete to go on to Medical school.
PX
Varsity

Postby PK » Thu May 02, 2002 11:49 am

Well my facts were a little shaky, but the drift was on course...I think. Thanks PX for the clarification.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Recruiting Guru » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:24 pm

I talked to Bryan Turner last week, and he's still very interested in SMU, although he's added more schools (Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech) to his list. But he insisted that SMU is at or near the top.

He hasn't yet decided what schools he'll visit officially, but said he expects SMU to be one of them.

Incidentally, of the offensive linemen listed below by Hoofprint, some are off the list of candidates for SMU, I'm afraid.

Bryan Turner (6-2, 280, 5.2) Tyler Chapel Hill
Jorrie Adams (6-6, 285, 4.9) Jasper -- not looking at SMU anymore
Kyle Thornton (6-5, 300, 5.0) Dallas St. Mark's
Daniel Chavez (6-5, 290, 5.1) El Paso Del Valle
Edwin Harrison (6-5, 310, 5.1) Houston Westbury
Shannon Boatman (6-7, 290, 5.3) Beaumont Westbrook -- not looking at SMU anymore
Ofa Mohetau (6-3, 325, 5.0) Euless Trinity -- not looking at SMU anymore
Kharylake Martin (6-5, 340, 5.4) Dayton -- committed to Arkansas
Devarius Jackson (6-5, 330, 5.4) Killeen Harker Heights -- not looking at SMU anymore
Marcus Martin (6-5, 265, 5.0) Fort Worth Dunbar

--------------------

Again, a lot of that could change between now and February. There are still a lot of linemen out there, and a lot are considering SMU at some level.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Return to Recruiting