PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Re-vamped recruiting priorities

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re-vamped recruiting priorities

Postby SMUguy » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:17 pm

Coach Bennett said that ideally, he'd like to have balanced recruiting classes each year. But until the roster is more balanced in talent and depth, I think we still need to recruit for specific positions. As I see it, the areas of need (in order) are:

1. Offensive line
2. Defensive line
3. Wide receiver
4. Linebacker
5. Quarterback
6. Secondary
7. Kicker/punter (for competition)
8. Running back
9. Tight end

What do you all think?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Re-vamped recruiting priorities

Postby 50's PONY » Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:54 pm

I suggest you ask Coach Bennett.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby HorsePower » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:08 pm

Why? Do you disagree with that order? I think that sounds pretty right-on.

Although with MacMurtray and Mentzel being freshmen, you could argue that kicker/punter should be at the bottom of the list. (Although a little competition never hurts.)

What do you think the order should be, 50s Pony?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby In Tate We Trust » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:55 pm

By my screen name you can tell I'm always pulling for our man from Ennis, but with Luker leaving school, quarterback might be a higher priority than you have it listed there.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby Mickey » Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:35 am

With the loss of Luker and the graduation of Viloria, Johnson, BJ Williams, J Williams, Hampton,Ford and K Briggs the priority should be: QB, OL, DL, FB, LB, TE, WR, DB, RB, K/P. If 25 are signed, the goal should be: 2 QB, 6 OL, 4 DL, 2 FB/RB, 4 LB, 2 TE, 2 WR, 3 DB.
Mickey
All-American

Postby Corso » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:18 pm

Not so fast my friend!

Take one of your LB signees and one of your TE signees, and increase the number of signees on each line by one, and then I agree with you completely.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Mickey » Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:09 pm

Corso,

Great minds think alike. I was going to take either Cole Horton and Jamar Bey and make DE's out of them. Both of them are 6-5 and would be tremendous DE's with speed. Thus, we would need to sign 4 LB's since we lose 4 to graduation next year and 2 the year after that. The only two underclassmen LB's on the roster right now are DD Lee (soph) and Don Stansbury (RF).

We need to sign two TE's this year as Hampton and Ford graduate and Hrncir is a JR. Until, Bennett gets expereinced personnel to run a multiple offense (especially QB), the offense will have to rely on the KISS system and focus on the run. Therefore,another TE is needed since we only have one True Frosh (Kennedy) recruit at the position now. SMU will be playing some two TE sets until the transition to the multiple offense is completed. At this time, we don't need to overload on WR's as we appear to have adequate #'s at the position with Taylor, Griffin, Vinson, Nixon, Eliott, and Francis returning in 2003. We could get by with recruiting only one TE this year if Bey is moved to the position. This could be interesting since he is 6-5 and is a great athlete as he was an ALL-State BB player. I have heard that he has great speed for his size, and since he played baasketball, this tells me that he has good hands.
Mickey
All-American

Return to Recruiting