PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Two OL prospects - and we have a shot

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Two OL prospects - and we have a shot

Postby Corso » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:15 pm

There are two guys out there that we can get, and who can contribute.

One is Highland Park OL Ryan Gray. The guy is huge (6-4, 290) and has solid footwork. Does pretty well in pass blocking and in run blocking. He's not being chased too hard (yet) by the big programs, and word is he's good friends with the two HP kids who signed this year, Brent Karrington and Grant Eidson.

The other is OL Wade Sisk of Brenham. OL Dustin Moore (6-4, 348) is getting all the headlines and the attention down there, but Sisk (6-6, 255) is very quick for an offensive lineman and has very long arms, meaning he could really beef up once Coach Faucette gets ahold of him.

Maybe these guys can slip under the radar screens of the big state schools and we can sneak in and grab them. We sure need to.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Two OL prospects - and we have a shot

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:42 pm

Here's another that a lot of people haven't noticed.

Defensive lineman Tyler Brown is going to be a senior at The Winston School in Dallas. He's 6-3, 290 and pretty strong. The two hangups: His team is terrible - they get killed on a weekly basis - so there's not a lot of attention paid to them, and it's possible that even the SMU coaches don't know about him.

Also, I'm not sure how to gently phrase this .... Winston is a school for students with learning differences. (Their slogan is "bright students who learn differently.") They have some perfectly bright kids there, and they do a great job helping them new ways of absorbing and retaining information. But I wonder if a student-athlete coming from that school would have different requirements for admission to a college. A 3.5 average there might not be viewed the same as a 3.5 at another school - I don't know. I don't know Tyler personally, but my neighbor's son goes to Winston, and says Tyler is a really bright young man who works very hard and wants to succeed at everything he does. What better place to keep working hard than at Ford Stadium, in front of friends and family?
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Corso » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:53 pm

Not so fast my friend!

Tyler Brown is a very gifted prospect, since he's the son of recently-released NFL offensive lineman Ray Brown (who has played for many teams.) But I'm not sure you can stand by that "works very hard" statement. He's a good looking kid, very strong, and I have no doubt he wants to succeed. But there were a lot of times last year when he appeared to take plays off. A lot of plays. If a coach can light a fire under the kid, he could be a great player. The bloodlines are there, to be sure.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:55 pm

And if I'm not mistaken, Tyler Brown plays both offensive line and defensive line.

(Oh yeah .... Not so fast my friend!)
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby ShanDtheMan » Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:15 pm

So can this Brown kid get into school? Sounds like a good player.
ShanDtheMan
Scout Team

Postby WildHorse » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:38 pm

We have just as good or bad a shot at him as we did when his old man played for the Niners. Ray Brown signing with Detroit won't change anything.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Recruiting