PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burnet OL Eddy Parker

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Burnet OL Eddy Parker

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:43 am

I talked with Burnet OL <A HREF="http://www.fox7.com/dynamic/text/prospects/p1084.html" TARGET=_blank>Eddy Parker</A> last night and he's been offered by the Ponies after camping. Here's his updated bio:

Despite playing at a 3A school in the Hill Country that doesn't get near as much media exposure as some big city programs, Eddy has established himself as one of the top offensive line prospects in the state. "I like being down & dirty," Eddy tells Fox 7. "I like being where the play starts everytime. I like having that kind of control. My feet quickness combined with my long arms are my keys along with my strength. Being smart on the offensive line is crucial in order to know your blocking assignments on each play.

Georgia Tech, SMU, TCU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Rice and Oklahoma State are among the schools who have discovered this terrific prospect in the Highland lakes area.

"Georgia Tech & SMU are my first two offers. My reaction was stunned to get offers from Georgia Tech and SMU. SMU is an up and coming program and Georgia Tech is a Top-25 team almost every year. That two real good schools to having wanting me."

When asked about his favorites, Eddy replied very quickly and emphatically. "My favorite school would be Texas A&M. But they are only taking three offensive linemen and they've already taken two. And I think I'm a few notches down on their list. They've got other guys that they are going to after befor eme. But that would be number one choice to play. Kyle Field is one of the most awesome stadiums to play in in college football. My second choice would probably be Georgia Tech. Their program and their winning percentage and how good they do in bowls. And they're academic program is really outstanding."

Eddy caught the attention of a number of college coaches at the Nike Combine in College Station on May 4th. He's now considered one of the top offensive line prospects in the state this fall. "For my size, I can evidently move really well. It was kind of awkward and kind of neat to know that college coaches were looking at you to see how you would perform. And I just went out and did my very best."

Eddy attended 3-day camps at TCU (6/3), SMU (6/9) and A&M (6/16).

He'll continue to hold down the right tackle this fall after an outstanding season protecting outstanding Class of 2004 QB prospect Stephen McGee. "You have to be extra quick to face the defensive end that normally runs 4.6 or 4.7. You have to be a real athlete to play either tackle position. Coaches usually put their studs there."

As a sophomore, Eddy worked his way into the starting lineup for the Bulldogs by the time district play kicked into gear.

Eddy benchpresses 300 lbs, squats 520 lbs and powercleans 275 lbs.

------------------
<A HREF="http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Re: Burnet OL Eddy Parker

Postby PonyFan » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:57 am

Sign him! He looks like a great prospect.

Thanks for the scoop, FOX7.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby 91Stang » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:25 pm

Good size kid. With that height (and looking at his picture on your site), he looks like he could bulk up quite a bit. He might be a cornerstone tackle, if he's as good as he sounds.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby hotrod » Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:53 am

I also heard there was a tackle, at the three day camp from Madisonville,Tx., that took it to the kid from Burnet. He is not as well known,yet. 6'3", 270#, long arms, quick feet, bench 300, squat 550, 5.2, GPA 3.21. He has drawn interest from Rice, TCU, Dartmouth, and a little from SMU. His name is Howard Savell. He is listed with Dave Campbell and Rivals.com.
hotrod

Postby HorsePower » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:26 pm

Do you know if Savell has any interest in us? He must have at least a little interest if he came to our camp, right? Or perhaps he was just trying to improve and SMU was a logical camp to attend. Any insight?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby hotrod » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:01 pm

The kid is a work a holic(sp), plays with a lot of heart. One school has him at 6'4". Savell moved into the starting line-up the 2nd game his Soph. season, and never looked back, at quick side tackle,and tight end end in power formations. He may be moved to pulling guard his Sr. season. He can play anywhere on the line. He is always looking to improve. He has large frame, and growing to do. He has a lot of intrest in SMU. He was pulled off to the side after the camp, and told they appreciated the hard work he put in.
hotrod

Postby hotrod » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:13 pm

Also, Savell was part of the line that blocked for blue chipper, David Underwood. The running back now at Michigan.
hotrod

Postby Recruiting Guru » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:21 pm

Good eye, FOX7. Eddy Parker is a very intriguing prospect. He has a huge frame - very long arms and legs, which indicates he can add a lot of muscle to his frame. He has above-average strength and when he gets his hands locked on to a defensive lineman, it's over - he can overpower a guy.

Additionally, he also has very good footwork and gets a lot of bend into his knees -- he plays lower than a lot of linemen, allowing him to gain superior leverage. When he gets underneath a pass rusher, he has good explosion in his legs and backside, and can drive a defensive lineman backward.

He will be recruited by many of the larger schools (maybe not as big as the UT's of the world, but certainly schools like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State will show interest), and he'd be a very nice addition to the SMU line.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Return to Recruiting