PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Austin High DB Will Fowler

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Austin High DB Will Fowler

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:47 am

We caught up with <A HREF="http://www.fox7.com/dynamic/text/prospects/p1085.html" TARGET=_blank>Will Fowler</A> by phone in Maine of all places as part of a very busy summer for him. Here's his updated bio:

Will is an emerging star for the Maroons in the secondary heading into his senior season for the Maroons in 2002. "Last year, I started out at free safety, but I moved over to corner during district and I didn't have a pass completed on me at corner. I had 75 tackles, most of them unassisted since I was in the backfield. I had three interceptions with two caused fumbles and two recoveries with four pass breakups."

He caught new head coach Steve Davis' attention with his performance against Westlake where Davis was then offensive coordinator. "I had like 15 tackles which was one of my best games."

He also started on varsity as a sophomore in 2000 at free safety and some at receiver as well. "It was really a rush right at the beginning because it was such a huge jump from freshman football to varsity 5A football in Texas. It helped prepare for my junior season. Against Stony Point, I blocked a punt and picked it up and ran it in for a touchdown. I had 55 tackles with four to five pass breakups with a few fumble recoveries as well."

After impressing Coach Davis during timing day in the spring of 2002, Will decided to run track for the Maroons. Sucess came quickly as he long jumped 21' winning his 5A district title. He also ran a leg of the Austin High's school record mile relay while also competing in the 300m hurdles.

Will has had an extremely full camp schedule this summer. "Well I went to the UT camp (6/9-6/11). I talked to Coach Akina afterward and he told me since they only have 18 scholarships, they probably only will take DB but he said I could definitely play division I football. Then I went to SMU 1-day camp (6/15). It was obviously a smaller deal than at UT. It was much more laid back. I talked to their recruiting coach Johnny Ringo and he said that he'd be in touch soon and he'd like for me to go up there for a visit. Then I headed to a 1-day A&M Camp (6/22). I liked the coaches there, but there were so many kids there that i couldn't get the personal attention of some of the other places. I would've probably liked it better if I had gone to a 3-day camp. But there were so many kids doing the drills. Then I went to Harvard (6/25) 3-day camp. I didn't think I would like it but I loved it. Irt was a really pretty campus and the coaches were from the South. I really like dit a lot. It was nice because they had sent me about 20 handwritten letters. the head coach would always come up and talk to me. Being a Texas 5A football player really means something up there. I saw some video of their games and its a lot like high school football in Texas. On the 6th, I'm going to Princeton Camp. I'm really looking forward to it."

He's also planning on making a few unofficial visits to campus on sojourns across the country. "I'm going to go see Virginia. They have excellent academics. I'd love to go there. Then as random as this may sound, Oklahoma State coaches saw me at the Nike Combine and they have really been calling me a lot and I'm going to go check out Stillwater."

In the midst of all his travels, he's still managed to get things done here in Austin. "I've been working out most of the summer at UT. I've been working on my 40 (4.41), shuttle and vertical using their pro-style testing. I ran a 4.63, which they said was as fast as their current DBs. Then I ran a 4.15 shuttle, which they said would be second fastest on their team to Nathan Vasher. The weird thing was that my best thing was the standing broadjump (10' 3"). But I did win district in the longjump."

------------------
<A HREF="http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>

[This message has been edited by Fox 7 Sports (edited 07-01-2002).]
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Re: Austin High DB Will Fowler

Postby PonyFan » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:01 pm

Sounds like he didn't get the sense he'll get a shot at UT or A&M, and he seemed to want the "personal attention" he can get at a smaller school like SMU.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Recruiting