PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Round Rock Stony Point LB/DE Aaron Reyes

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Round Rock Stony Point LB/DE Aaron Reyes

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:53 am

We caught up <A HREF="http://www.fox7.com/dynamic/text/prospects/p1055.html" TARGET=_blank>Aaron Reyes</A> Sunday evening and here's his updated bio:

Aaron has quickly elevated himself to become one of the better defensive players in Central Texas. He's spent time in his high school career at both linebacker and defensive end and college coaches are looking at him at both positions.
"I can play both but I prefer to play middle linebacker because I can make more plays," Aaron tells Fox 7. "I'm able to read the ball better and I feel I can help my team the most at that position. I have good technique and I'm more of a run-stopping linebacker. The thing I like about DE is you are constantly on the ball. Playing end as a sophomore, it was tough. But I embarassed a few seniors at the time. There's a lot more athleticism at end and you have to be really strong to play both."
"Houston, Rice, Wyoming, Texas, TCU, SMU, UTEP ... all the schools in Texas have been contacting me. A lot of my coaches have been telling me that LSU is really interested in me too. If we would've made it to the playoffs, more college coaches would probably know that our school exists. I know a lot of people really are just learning about Stony Point and that hurts."
But Aaron already has some schools that stand out to him: "My top three schools would be Texas, LSU and Oklahoma. I wasn't really all that interested in LSU until my coach told me they had an interest in me. But LSU is a powerhouse. If I were to go to a school like Texas, I would expect to redshirt but I'd just be ready to compete. I feel like I can compete with about anybody in the country without sounding bigheaded or anything."
While the Tigers may just be now starting to make some noise, Aaron likes the direction the program has taken. "Personally, I've got high hopes for this team. I know we can make the playoffs. Its just a metter of being focused. My class is the first class to play all four years at the school. we were awesome as freshmen and we've continued to improve and now I think we can really go far."
Aaron enjoyed a tremendous junior season for the Tigers in 2001. From his middle linebacker position, he made 55 tackles with 25 assists and 4 tackles for loss while causing a pair of fumbles. He was unanimously voted 1st Team All-District 14-5A by coaches. "Honestly, I thought I could've done better. But I guess my style of play is what the coaches around here noticed. I feel if I was on a team that made the playoffs, I could've made All-State.
As a sophomore in 2000, he saw varsity action at defensive end collecting 30 tackles and blocking a field goal attempt.
Aaron has hit a few camps this summer as he prepares for his senior season. "The first was UT. I had blast there. I saw a lot of good athletes. I would've liked to have gone to the first session so there would've been more talent at my position. Coach (Carl) Reese was very interested in the way that I performed. One of the other coaches that was there said he was impressed with my feetwork. I ran a 4.7 in the 40 twice and a 4.5 20-yard shuttle. I really enjoyed talking to all the coaches especially Coach Reese."
He also joined several of his Stony Point teammates in a trip down to San Antonio for a combine put on by UTEP. "The two tests that I did really well at were the vertical where I did a 31" doing it the NFL-style where you jump from standing still. And in the standing broadjump, I went 9' 6". "

------------------
<A HREF="http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>

[This message has been edited by Fox 7 Sports (edited 07-01-2002).]
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Return to Recruiting