PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Round Rock Stony Point RB Rodrick James

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Round Rock Stony Point RB Rodrick James

Postby Fox 7 Sports » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:55 am

We caught up with Stony Point RB <A HREF="http://www.fox7.com/dynamic/text/prospects/p1054.html" TARGET=_blank>Rodrick James</A> (6'0" 185 lbs 4.4) this evening and here's his updated profile:

Rodrick heads into his senior season looking to show college coaches that he is a legitimate force to be reckoned with as a college prospect. "I didn't get a lot of credit in Texas Football magazine like some of the other guys in the district," Rodrick tells Fox 7. "But I'm just as good as some of those guys are and I'm going to try to stay injury-free and prove it this fall on the field."
SMU, Rice, Texas, Alabama, UTEP, OU and Oklahoma State are among the schools expressing an early interest in Rodrick this summer. <B>He already has three clearcut leaders: "I'd like to see SMU number one, Rice and Oklahoma State. Those three there are realistic goals for me and what I want to go get."</B>
Rodrick was among the 5A rushing leaders in the Austin area most of his junior season in 2001. He put up some nice numbers for the Tigers with 1008 yards on 203 carries and 13 touchdowns in 10 games. He was chosen 2nd-team 14-5A All-District by coaches in 2001.
"I'm kind of a north-south type runner. Every now and then you have to get outside. But I like to use my power and not my finesse. I've got good peripheral vision. I've kind of got an invisible-man type thing where I can see where a defender is going to be before it happens. That way I can make my move to avoid the contact. I'm not very big, but I'm tough. I'm only 185, but I'm tough as they come."
As a sophomore in 2000, he carried the ball 126 times for 548 yards and a couple of TDs. He also caught nine passes for 60 more yards including a touchdown reception.
Since Stony Point has only had varsity football for two seasons heading into the fall, Rodrick is really the only running back the Tigers have ever really had. "I'm kind of glad because I'm going to be the one to set the standard. I got a thousand yards last year and I hope to improve on that this year. It gives the guys come up behind me something to shoot for. We've had some tough breaks the past few years and we're just on the verge of breaking through on a couple of key plays. It give the young guys something to see."
Rodrick's working a summer job but still is finding some time to hit some camps. "I went to the minicamp down in San Antonio for UTEP in Mid-June and I didn't do as well as I'd like. It was my first camp in a long time with me playing 7-on-7. My speed wasn't all there that day and it frustrated me. But I'm attending mini-camp at SMU on July 27th and Rice on the 20th. I'm going to try to get the most out of those camps and hopefully do better than I did the other day for UTEP."
Rodrick is the son of Stony Point Head Coach Ronnie James.

------------------
<A HREF="http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
<A HREF=\"http://199.170.228.120/dynamic/story.asp?category=4\" TARGET=_blank>Austin Area Prospects</A>
Fox 7 Sports
Junior Varsity

Re: Round Rock Stony Point RB Rodrick James

Postby PonyFan » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:05 pm

That's a good-sized kid for someone who can run a 4.4 in the 40. If he's that big and athletic, even with the load of RBs we have, we'll find a place for him. Go get him, Coach Bennett.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Recruiting