PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hillcrest prospects

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hillcrest prospects

Postby SMUguy » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:17 pm

The Dallas Morning News is counting down its top high school teams in 4A and 5A. Today's paper talks about several playes, 4 of who sound really interesting.

QB Bryan Clampitt (6-4, 195) "Good size and strong arm, should get more chances to throw downfield" (despite the absence of Hillcrest's best receiver from last year, LaKeldrick Bridges, who is headed to Georgia Tech.)

OT Chad Oliver (6-5, 280)

OT Cody Jones (6-4, 295) "Exceptional speed and blocking abilities."

WR Keith Alexander (6-4, 180) "Should become Clampitt's main target; good hands, impressive speed and size."

Anyone know anything about these guys? Are they really that good? Has SMU shown interest, or are they interested in us?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Hillcrest prospects

Postby Recruiting Guru » Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:00 pm

Cody Jones is a terrific prospect who might fall below the radar screens of some of the bigger programs. He's be a terrific fit at SMU.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby BornRed&Blue » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:39 am

I've been watching all of these guys for years at Hillcrest. Want to see some good football, here's the place folks. Cody and Chad have been referred to as the "twin towers" since junior high. 2 years ago, when Hillcrest was undefeated, and went to the playoffs, Chad was inillegible because of grades, and boy did it show, the offense was stymied without him and he was a sophomore then.

Bryan Clampitt is third generation Dallas, and would bring a good following to SMU. This year will really be his proving ground at Hillcrest.

If you're looking for something to do on Fridays, you might stop by Franklin Field @ Hillcrest and Lakehurst, it's good ol' high school football at it's best.

BTW, why did we let Lakeldrick Bridges go to Georgia Tech . . . .
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:46 am

Cavan and his staff got a really late start recruiting Bridges. By the time they made a real push, he already had narrowed his choices. I heard Jeff Johnson, who coached Hillcrest last year, viewed the late arrival by SMU coaches as a slap in the face. But Bridges already was leaning toward Georgia Tech by that point.

Too bad we lost him. He's going to play football at Tech, he wants to try to walk on to the basketball team and has been approached about running sprints for the track team. Think we could have used an athlete like that?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:52 am

Clampitt threw for 120 yards and a touchdown in Hillcrest's win over Bishop Dunne last week.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUFinns » Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:52 pm

No disrespect to Bishop Dunne but it could not have been very difficult to accomplish.

Go Mustangs..........
Power Mustangs "Now is the Time" They will believe in #PonyUp
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUFinns » Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:03 pm

Just To Make My Point....

Is anyone looking at this QB.

TCA-Addison 32, Bishop Dunne 14

Donny Lasko rushed for 149 yards and two touchdowns to help Trinity Christian Academy send Bishop Dunne to its sixth consecutive loss.

Lasko ran for 66 yards on the game's first play from scrimmage, and quarterback Jordan Smrekar finished off the drive with a 5-yard touchdown run for an early 7-0 Trinity Christian lead.

Lasko finished Trinity Christian's next two scoring drives himself to pace to an easy victory.

Smrekar threw for 186 yards, completing passes to six receivers.

Go Mustangs
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:35 pm

Never underestimate the football juggernaut that is TC-Addison! That has to be one of the winningest programs in the state, although that would certainly be a more impressive claim if they were 4 or 5A instead of a pipsqueak private school.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby whatasteve » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:13 pm

Lest anyone have any doubt, our man PerunaPunch was a stellar defensive end at TCA-Addison.

Question for SMUFinns: you reported that "Donny Lasko rushed for 149 yards and two touchdowns to help Trinity Christian Academy send Bishop Dunne to its sixth consecutive loss." Is that an indication that Lasko/TCA is really good, or that Bishop Dunne is terrible? Hopefully the former...
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:56 pm

...And Tight End, and Special Teams, and Waterboy, and Towel Boy...

As you know, those TAPPS teams are only allowed 5 players each.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby whatasteve » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:59 pm

That's true -- PerunaPunch made TAPPS all-state as a towel boy. And he serves up a mean water bottle.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUFinns » Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:16 pm

"Whatasteve"

As I stated "No disrespect to Bishop Dunne but it could not have been very difficult to accomplish"
Bishop Dunne has some fine athletes and I am sure that also goes to the coaching staff but the program just moved up from TAPPS 4A to TAPPS 5A and is predicted to struggle. ( They have not shown any signs to indicate an improvement thus far )

As for Donny Lasko, I have no dought that he could go to the next level if he so choses.
He plays in a great program and offten a great program can mask average players and credit must go to the coaching staff of TCA.

TAPPS 5A match up will be TCA v's Bishop Lynch at Ford Stadium Nov 09th ( Come out and see for yourself ) It will be a great game. I am also sure that the Mustang Football staff will be on had the see Chris Phillips first hand.

Never underestimate the football juggernaut that is TC-Addison! That has to be one of the winningest programs in the state, although that would certainly be a more impressive claim if they were 4 or 5A instead of a pipsqueak private school.

That's correct " Never underestimate..." however I take exception to "pipsqueak private school" who have provide some great local athletes. Lynch killed North Dallas, Bryan Adams recently and have taken on Highland Park with the same or simular results as from some of your more so called reveered schools such as Rich Pearce, Mes Horn & Plano etc....

Go Mustangs

[This message has been edited by SMUFinns (edited 10-14-2002).]

SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:51 am

I can call TCA a pipsqueak private school if I want. I earned 7 letters there, so I think I have the right.

I think the least they could do is retire my towel at Ford Stadium on November 9.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustang Stomping » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:42 am

Chris Phillips had 235 yards of total offense Friday / Saturday night in a rain delayed game.
Passing = 10-23-151-1-1, Rushing 8-84. As you know it was not a night to be airing the ball out but he did and put the ball right in the receivers hands. His completion rate would have been more but for the wet ball & conditions.
<A HREF="http://dallasnews.statsonline.com/football/02/stats/event34287.shtm" TARGET=_blank>http://dallasnews.statsonline.com/football/02/stats/event34287.shtm</A>
He is still very much interested in the Mustangs it's just a matter of time to see if SMU offers.

BTW Great win for ALL the Mustangs players and coaches.

PP you may have earned the right to say TCA is a pipsqueak school but keep it in-house. On a lager scale private schools should have the respect form the like of you and All.
P.S Hope you get your wish on the towel.
Mustangs Will Ride Again @ The HillTop
Mustang Stomping

Postby MustangFan » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:16 pm

I hear SMU is very interested in Phillips, but that HE is losing interest in US.
Is that not true? Have I been misinformed?
MustangFan
All-American

Return to Recruiting