PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN commits!

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN commits!

Postby MustangFan » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:12 pm

50's Pony reported on the other site that we have a new commitment:

Justin Boren
Offensive lineman
6'4", 280
Colleyville Heritage

If this is true, this is a good addition. Time to pick up steam in recruiting.
MustangFan
All-American

Re: OFFENSIVE LINEMAN commits!

Postby Corso » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:41 pm

So the list now stands at 2:

Ricky Joe Meeks
Quarterback
6'3", 210, 4.8
Mount Vernon, Texas
Recruited by Jerry Bennett

Justin Boren
Offensive Line
6'4", 280
Colleyville (Heritage), Texas
Recruited by … Bob Fello? Bob Stanley?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:49 pm

Got this from Dave Campbell's preseason magazine (and I know, there's a wide array of opinions about the accuracy of its contents and about its "unbalanced" -- to say the least -- writing). Nonetheless, it says:

Ricky Joe Meeks is 6-3, 210, 4.8 and completed 101-of-192 passes for 1,704 yards and 15 touchdowns last year. It also called him "a top-notch punter" with his junior year average of 40.4 yards per punt. He converted 31-of-35 extra points last year, and hit three of four field goals.

and ....

Justin Boren played on both lines last year. As a junior, he had 72 tackles, six sacks and an interception.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:34 pm

More info from Rivals

Justin Boren
Offensive Guard, 1-Star
6'4", 280 lbs. 5.0 40-yd.
Bio Notes and Stats: Boren helped Heritage to district and bi-district championships as a junior. He also stars in powerlifting and track.
You can see Justin's profile and photo at:
<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=10268" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=10268</A>
Looks like a pretty tough kid.

Ricky Joe Meeks
Pro-style QB, 3-star
6'3" 210 4.7 40-yd.
Bio Notes and Stats: Meeks, a right-hander, is the son of Mount Vernon coach Dickey Meeks. He passed for 1,717 yards, completing 104 of 191 passes as a junior. Also an all-state selection at punter, averaging 40.7 yards per boot.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:54 pm

To add to Corso's post...

Dave Campbell had Ricky Joe Meeks listed Second Team All-State as a punter last year. I imagine as a senior, Meeks will head that list, assuming that Mount Vernon will continue to use their QB to punt.

...Which could make defending against the Mustangs on 4th down rather interesting in the next few years. Will he kick or will he throw??? Hmmm....
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangMan » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:00 pm

Peruna Punch, can you copy the information and picture from that bio and post them here? I can't get that link to open. Thanks.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:04 pm

Not so fast my friends!

I like the idea of having a punter who can throw the ball - but let's not give up just yet on our new punter, Ryan Mentzel. Coach Bennett seems completely enamored with him. And if he's good enough for Coach B, he's good enough for me.

I want to see Ricky Joe playing quarterback more than I want to see him kick the ball.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:13 pm

From Rivals:

"Justin Boren 6-4,285 5.0 bench 320, squat 525. No other offers other than SMU but A&M and Missouri were both writing hand written letters and called in the month of May' according to his father. He will be a 2-star player. In film he has solid footwork and the ability to both pass and run block successfully"
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby PK » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangMan:
<B>Peruna Punch, can you copy the information and picture from that bio and post them here? I can't get that link to open. Thanks.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you click on the adress line in Punch's post? It worked for me. If you are trying to type it in the address line of your browser, there is a " _ " between "pr" & "key", i.e., pr_key.

Try again.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hotrod » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:53 pm

I have met this kid, should be a good one....
hotrod

Postby Recruiting Guru » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:56 pm

You're right, Hotrod, Boren should be a good one.

He'll remind PonyFans of James McCarthy. He's a strong player with a sturdy, powerful build, and he has the brawler mentality that was McCarthy's signature. He'll stand toe-to-toe with the biggest linemen out there and scrap from start to finish on every play. And he still can get a lot stronger. His body is thick, but he could easily add 30 more pounds. He's also very dedicated to the weightroom, and will add significant strength. His footwork is above average, if not great (yet?), but his strength is in the way he uses his hands. Once he gets his hands on you, he's very tough to move, and on defense, he's very adept at slapping away blockers' hands to keep moving. Great motor.

Whether he develops into another James McCarthy remains to be seen, but he certainly has a chance.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:42 pm

Our man PK located this in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Colleyville Heritage offensive lineman Justin Boren said SMU has the
right coach to turn the program around in Phil Bennett. He plans to be part
of that rebuilding and has committed to the Mustangs.

"I just can't wait till I get there," Boren said. "I know they are going to have such a great team. [Bennett] brings such a presence no matter where he is; I know he is going to be successful." Boren, 6-foot-4 and 285 pounds, also considered
Texas A&M and Missouri.

- John Miller
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Recruiting