PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting, The Ratings

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruiting, The Ratings

Postby hotrod » Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:49 am

There seems to be a misconseption to the stars (1-5) the rating services give these players. To give a player a 1 star rating, to some, means the player is not worthy of a 3,4, or 5 star rating. That is not true. Its a non evaluation. These sevices will tell you that a 1 star rating indicates that they have not seen enough of the player to evaluate him. They will also tell you if they didn't feel like they were a D1 prospect they would not list them. The players they like to rate are highly
publized players that get deep into the playoffs. That is normally the only time they get to watch them play. I read on the other SMU sight the other day that the player that just gave a verbal was a 1 star, and probily not a good player. Thats not right. In order to really evatuate the kids you need to see them in action, and even thats not fool proof. The only way these kids can get there names out is by trying to make as many camps as possible during the summer. That is when the coaches can really get a look at them. Thats when we let the coaches do there job. And even then, a lot of good players fall through the cracks. It is hard for me to believe that a coach worth his salt, will take a scouting sevices word, over what the see with there on eyes. You could have a 6'3" lineman, that is better than a 6'5" lineman, but the one at 6'3" doesnt get the same hype as the kid at 6'5". Larry Allen is only 6'3". Mel Kyper didn't want the Cowboy's to take Aikman. So I guess what im trying to say is, read and enjoy the hype by these recruting sevices, news papers and so called experts. But take it for what it's worth. Sorry I dont normally vent like this, the other sight got my blood perkin.

[This message has been edited by hotrod (edited 08-09-2002).]

hotrod

Return to Recruiting