PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting Update

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruiting Update

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:43 pm

Please refer to my list posted here on 9-22.
Guru may once again be able to comment on the additions and deletions.

Quarterback
Delete Arnel Rolf

Running Back
Delete Damon Carruthers
Delete Taurence Rawls
Add Colby Hollingsworth - H.P.

Fullback
Delete Vince Chukwukelu

Offensive Tackle
Delete Kyle Thornton
Delete Chad Smith Allen
Add Nathan Collier - Stephenville

Center
Delete Eddie Montoya

Linebacker
Paul Sturdivant - Atlanta, GA(son of former player)

Cornerback
Delete Stephen Hodge

Please note that this information is derived solely from a national recruiting service that constantly updates its information.
50's PONY
Heisman

Re: Recruiting Update

Postby Recruiting Guru » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:55 pm

Too bad Arnel Rolfe has bowed out of the running for SMU. He's thin, but it's a strong, wiry kind of thin, and he's very fast. Very good athlete.

Likewise, Carruthers and Rawls are terrific prospects. Maybe SMU will be able to get back in with one or both of them.

Hollingsworth is a very strong, powerful back who's faster than he appears. He doesn't have pure sprinter's speed, but he is tough to catch from behind, and he has a burst that lets him slip through a hole into the secondary. When he cuts back and runs against the grain, he's very tough, because he has good speed and great power - if you don't hit him head-on, he'll run over LBs and DBs. He has very thick legs, giving him a low center of gravity, and a muscular frame that allows him to endure the beating of running between the tackles.

Don't give up just yet on Kyle Thornton - the SMU coaches haven't. SMU isn't at the top of his list, but it's early. And they're not giving up on Chad Smith, either. Unlike Thornton, he's already given his verbal commitment, but look for the SMU coaches to try to get in and change his mind.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:06 pm

Thanks Guru, I haven't given up and I know the coaches haven't either. I am just using the CURRENT updated list of schools after each name. This is why I always like to have your comments because I know you know.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby Coach Rob » Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:04 am

Someone's source is incorrect. Arnel Rolfe is wide open about where he wants to go to school. He hasn't even begun to narrow down his choices.

Coach Rob
Coach Rob
Scout Team

Postby No Quarter » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:29 am

Anyone have biographical details and family information about the player from Georgia, Sturdivant? When was his father at SMU?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:44 am

Atlanta Constitution listed a Joey Sturdivant as a 6-2, 200 pound DB, who had 131 tackles as a junior for State Chanpion Parkview. Parkview is # 01 again in Georgia 5A this season. Can this be the Paul Sturdivant listed above?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Recruiting Guru » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:14 pm

That's good to hear, Coach Rob, about Arnel not cutting SMU from his list. I had the chance to see Skyline play earlier this season, and he's an extremely impressive athlete.

Since you work with him every day, do you know if he's open to the idea of being recruited for another position, or is he locked in on playing QB only in college? I know a few schools project him as a WR or DB.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Coach Rob » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:48 pm

I think he could possibly play WR because he has great hands. He would be a possession receiver in my opinion. I think Arnel has good speed for a quarterback and he is very elusive, but I don't think he has the speed to beat corners deep.
Coach Rob
Scout Team

Return to Recruiting