PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ponies Get New Basketball Recruit

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ponies Get New Basketball Recruit

Postby 50's PONY » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:49 pm

Insiders.Com is reporting that S.M.U. has just made a "Super Pickup" in shooting guard Demetric Bennett of Albany, Georgia. Insiders said "SMU has to be excited about its most recent commitment." Bennett is 6-3 and weighs 210 lbs. He averaged 25 ppg. as a junior and selected the Ponies over South Alabama. He had a terrific Nike All-American Camp where he made a ton of 3s with precision and range. Insiders liked his size and speed.
Way to go Mustangs!
50's PONY
Heisman

Re: Ponies Get New Basketball Recruit

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:14 am

Someone who calls himself/herself "Mustang J" posted this on the other board - sounds like we have two new hoops commitments:

"According to TheInsiders.com, both DEVON PEARSON and DEMETRIC BENNETT have committed to SMU. They both took their official visits a couple of weeks ago and looked extremely athletic.

Pearson is a power forward from Miami who can handle the ball and jump out of the gym. Bennett is a guard who again is extremely athletic and can shoot the ball from outside.

Apparently, Boubacar Coly's visit went really well and the 6'11 Lithuanian kid will be taking his visit this upcoming weekend. So if either of these guy's commit, does that mean Chris Reay is out of a scholarship?"
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby PX » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:25 am

Devon Pearson is about 6'6", the same height as the forwards we already have, but he's much thicker and more muscular, and he likes to operate in the low post. He can step out and nail a jumper from around 15 feet, and he handles the ball well enough to play on the wing, but he really prefers to operate down low. His style reminds me alot of former Tulsa star David Shelton. I dont know if he will be as productive as Shelton, but thats the type of player he is. Not tall enough for most people to consider him a true post player, but he's a bull under the basket. He's a different kind of player from the forwards we already have, but thats a good thing, because he compliments our current lineup well.
I never saw Demetric Bennett until he came for his official visit, and that was just one pickup game. He looked like a pretty fair athlete, but nothing else about him stood out. I did hear that he shot really well during the Nike camp. One thing that bothers me is that his 2nd choice was South Alabama, the worst team in the Sun Belt Conference. He wasnt being recruited by many even vaguely succesful teams, and Georgia Southern was probably the best program that offered him a scholarship. Kind of odd, considering where he is ranked on some of the recruiting lists.
As far as I know, Paulius still plans to take an official visit with us. That would appear to indicate our coaches think another scholarship might open up.
If we reneged on our offer to Reay at this late point I would never set foot in Moody again and this athletic department would never see another dime from me. I know this is a big joke to alot of you, but to back out on a kid after he committed to us 6 months ago, effectively removing himself from the summer evaluation period and fall recruiting by other schools, would be nothing short of immoral and de****able. I know alot of you dont mind using a kid if it somehow provides you with a little entertainment, but its something I never want to be a part of. For those of you who can only grasp a concept if there is a selfish motive involved, think about this: Reneging on our offer to Reay would severely and permanently damage our ability to recruit in the Dallas area. Doors would be slammed in our face. Why do you think Billy Tubbs couldnt sign local high school players? No one ever forgot about Brian Brookehart.
PX
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:45 am

Do any of these guys play other sports? Do any of these guys run hurdles? Triple jump? A track scholarship available or is that illegal?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:53 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>Do any of these guys play other sports? Do any of these guys run hurdles? Triple jump? A track scholarship available or is that illegal?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a convoluted rule, I know how it works for football, but its not neccessarily the same for basketball. If someone plays football they cant be on scholarship for another sport, for example TCU's kicker, who is also their best soccer player. He HAS to be on football scholarship, instead of soccer.
Regardless, I seriously doubt you could get our track coaches to give up a scholarship (which they already dont have a full number of) to give to someone who wont help their own program.
PX
Varsity

Return to Recruiting