PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The LIST = 10!

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The LIST = 10!

Postby JasonB » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:22 pm

And to give you an idea, our only 3 star last year was barnett, the running back...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:29 pm

Here's the junior year writeup on Massey. I guess Coach B feel that in lieu of on offensive line, we can just hand the ball to Massey. "Blocking? I don't need no stinkin' blocking!"

Junior Focus: Richuel Massey

By: Geoff Ketchum
Date: March 31, 2002
Content from The-University.com

One of the top recruits that was in Austin on Saturday for the Texas Longhorn's Orange/White game was Hillsboro, Texas star running back Richuel Massey.

The 5-11, 200-pound Massey is regarded as one of the state's top running back and is without a doubt the state's most powerful player, having just recently shattering several; state power-lifting records.

"I liked it a lot," Massey replied when asked about his visit to the 40 Acres. "I really felt like I was apart of the family. I felt like I fit in."

Massey added that today's visit was a good chance for him to get to see the campus up close and for him to meet some of the coaches that will be recruiting him in person.

"They told me that they can't call me yet, but that they would be coming by the school in May and that they were very interested in me," Massey said.

As far as his list of top schools is concerned, it appears that the Longhorns are right at the top, along with several others.

"I'm really looking at Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and Texas," Massey said.

When asked if any of those four stood out more than the others, Massey replied, "No, I'm pretty open."

Massey also mentioned that he does plan on camping at Texas and Oklahoma this summer.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Silk » Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:53 pm

"I'm really looking at Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and Texas," Massey said. .... Massey also mentioned that he does plan on camping at Texas and Oklahoma this summer. "

Now THAT's landing a big-time recruit!
SMU coaches are kickin' tail!
Silk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:42 pm

hopefully this list of SMU verbals can be brought up to date soon and will include more guys from the DFW area. I like to see locals because that's the best way for SMU to garner more local interest in the program and ultimately put more butts in the seats at Ford Stadium on game day.

Someone posted on the football site asking us to speculate on next year's 2-deep. Just a hunch...but I'll bet we'll see some guys from our 2003 signing list on that 2-deep before all is said and done. More beef and more speed. Keep 'em coming. Can't wait to see the days of winning SMU football again.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dooby » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:30 pm

The Rivals 100 web site has a headline which says "SMU adds another" date Nov. 27, but it is exclusive content and I don;t have a subscription. Will someone with a subscription please let us know the content of the story.

<A HREF="http://rivals100.rivals.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://rivals100.rivals.com/</A>
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PX » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dooby:
<B>The Rivals 100 web site has a headline which says "SMU adds another" date Nov. 27, but it is exclusive content and I don;t have a subscription. Will someone with a subscription please let us know the content of the story.

They might be referring to Ben Poynter, Fred Turners teammate at Lamar. Offensive lineman. He committed after Turner.

<A HREF="http://rivals100.rivals.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://rivals100.rivals.com/</A></B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
PX
Varsity

Postby Dooby » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:36 pm

Yes, according to Stallion, Ben Poynter has committed. Sounds great, this guy seems a little lean to on the OL-6'3", 240 Lbs.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:50 pm

Fansonly has Poytner committing to us. On that site he is listed at 6-4 240. Although I saw Lamar play last week I didn't pay any particular attention to individuals in their line. Anyone in the San Antonio area might want to chack out the Lamar/Midland game on Saturday and give us a report, that is if you can keep your eyes off the blazing Turner.
Nacho

Postby Hoofprint » Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:21 pm

Borrowed from a couple of posters on the other site:

From old_hoss:
"Ben Johnson,a RB for Navrro JC, who was the star RB for Paul Pewiit's state championship team,is said to have comitted to SMU. I saw him play HS. He had good speed and ran tough. This info came from people in his home town. See what you can find about this."

From Stallion:
"Fullback-I believe this Ben Johnson guy was the FB in the Backfield for Paul Pewitt when they had OUs LB Jimmy Wilkerson at QB and TCU's RB Kenney Boyd at TB and won a state championship. Don't know much else about him. Although Derron Brown seem to have some good blocks when he returned to the lineup in the last few weeks-he is small and the only other FB we have I believe is Earl Morris who is also small. I wouldn't be surprised if Richuel Massey eventually ended up at FB too."

--------------------------

I don't know - I hear Massey is just too good a runner to make him a FB. He's strong enough, but he was highly regarded enough that I imagine he was issued some kind of promise about being a featured ball-carrier. Just a guess.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:27 pm

Maybe a candidate for the defensive line?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:25 am

He's 6'3" 240lbs and the kid can only run a 5.1 40 time? (according to rivals) He's a 2 star recruit...still not terrible. Any more info on the JUCO commitment?

Previous

Return to Recruiting