PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Potential QB Signees

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Potential QB Signees

Postby Mickey » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:52 am

Is it possible that SMU will award five scholarships this year to the following QB's: Bartel, Meeks, JUCO QB, Phillips, and Foran? I know the JUCO QB is a long shot but we could use him until the high school players develop. Also, most people say that Foran will not sign with SMU, but we are still on his list. If he wants to play QB in college, SMU might be the place.

If we sign all 5, that certainly fills the hole at QB, but it will certainly hurt us at the other positions.
Mickey
All-American

Re: Potential QB Signees

Postby Corso » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:03 pm

Not so fast, my friend!

I've been under the impression that Foran, while being courteous enough to say he'll still think about SMU, really doesn't have any interest any more in us, and that he's leaning more heavily toward Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech, if the Hokies offer him a scholarship. Based on the kind of offense we run, I'd think Coach Bennett would greatly prefer to get his hands on QB James Battle, from Denton Ryan. Of course, Battle and Ryan both would be good additions to the stable of Mustang QBs.

And don't think for a minute that the coaches have given up on the idea of signing a JUCO QB. They're trying to do exactly that.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Potential QB Signees

Postby Mickey » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:21 pm

Foran may not presently have SMU high on his list, but we are still on his list. I understand that some of the schools pursuing him don't want him as a QB. Also, as some of the big schools get their first choice, he may be dropped from their list. Because of this, I have heard that he may be warming up to SMU again.

I agree with you on James Battle. He would be a great signee. Also a JUCO QB would be a valuable addition.

Sounds like SMU is going to sign several QBs this year.
Mickey
All-American

Return to Recruiting