PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Barefield and McQuaid give SMU #6 ranked 2015 class so far

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Barefield and McQuaid give SMU #6 ranked 2015 class so f

Postby ojaipony » Tue May 06, 2014 3:31 pm

The guy's defense and passing skills in the paint are good enough right now for a pro look alone. And he is VERY skilled around the rim offensively - especially with his basket to the rim. Working on his midrange would be good - everyone wants versatility. He starts knocking that down consistently to go with everything else, he's a lottery pick. If not, he's probably a free agent and/or Europe.

And, yes, of course you go to Europe once you graduate if that's the best way to get a paycheck. Why would you stay? (unless SMU pays more, who knows).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 06, 2014 4:11 pm

I don't know, but those guys are celebrities at SMU right now- not a bad life. I realize you can get a paycheck in Europe, but for starters you're in a foreign country and secondly if you've got a chance to make a run at a national championship in 2016 with all your bills paid for, that's got to be enticing.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU 86 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I don't know, but those guys are celebrities at SMU right now- not a bad life. I realize you can get a paycheck in Europe, but for starters you're in a foreign country and secondly if you've got a chance to make a run at a national championship in 2016 with all your bills paid for, that's got to be enticing.

If whoever has high draft stock they should go and strike while the iron is hot. Way too much chance of injury if they stayed. I know as selfish fans we want them to stay so the SMU program can win but they need to strike whenever the iron is hot imo.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby ClickClack » Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 pm

ojaipony wrote:The guy's defense and passing skills in the paint are good enough right now for a pro look alone. And he is VERY skilled around the rim offensively - especially with his basket to the rim. Working on his midrange would be good - everyone wants versatility. He starts knocking that down consistently to go with everything else, he's a lottery pick. If not, he's probably a free agent and/or Europe.

And, yes, of course you go to Europe once you graduate if that's the best way to get a paycheck. Why would you stay? (unless SMU pays more, who knows).

Lottery Pick, haha
ClickClack
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Agreed, if there's a good chance they can go to the NBA, they should jump on that. Markus *might* have that chance if he improves his game over the summer. At 5'9" I don't see Nic having that opportunity.

My point was the decision between senior year at SMU on what could be a loaded team with the '15 class might be more attractive than a paycheck in Europe for a year.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 06, 2014 6:33 pm

and I thought this thread was about our 2015 recruiting class
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Tue May 06, 2014 6:45 pm

One thing no one is talking about when thinking who could possibly be back for the 2015 class, in college basketball you have to anticipate the possibility of losing 1-3 players on transfers or academic issues. So far it seems we have avoided the transfer bug so far but we have a long time to wait to see if we will doge the academic bullet.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby GiddyUp » Tue May 06, 2014 6:49 pm

Doesnt appear to be CP...

Markus will be worthy after next season, there are plenty of crummy NBA guys on benches now.

I am going to chk out Matt on Sat.
GiddyUp

Postby MFFL02 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Why are people seriously discussing if Markus Kennedy and/or Nic Moore will leave early for the NBA? Not only do they not pass the eye test, but not a single pundit has speculated on this occurring. Please stop, this is getting awkward.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby max the wonder dog » Tue May 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Aren't the G5 rules going to allow schools to pay insurance to protect against career killing injuries? When this goes into effect I assume it will help retention, at least at the margins.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Tue May 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Pony_Law wrote:One thing no one is talking about when thinking who could possibly be back for the 2015 class, in college basketball you have to anticipate the possibility of losing 1-3 players on transfers or academic issues. So far it seems we have avoided the transfer bug so far but we have a long time to wait to see if we will doge the academic bullet.

Agreed.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Tue May 06, 2014 7:51 pm

MFFL02 wrote:Why are people seriously discussing if Markus Kennedy and/or Nic Moore will leave early for the NBA? Not only do they not pass the eye test, but not a single pundit has speculated on this occurring. Please stop, this is getting awkward.

Whose eye test? Yours?

It is my opinion that they both will end up eventually in the NBA. And, probably after next season. MK for sure injuries/personal issues excepting.
ojaipony

Postby SMU 86 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Pony_Law wrote:One thing no one is talking about when thinking who could possibly be back for the 2015 class, in college basketball you have to anticipate the possibility of losing 1-3 players on transfers or academic issues. So far it seems we have avoided the transfer bug so far but we have a long time to wait to see if we will doge the academic bullet.

Technically this is the only year that Coach Brown has been here that we have not had a transfer.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby SFtoHilltop » Tue May 06, 2014 10:12 pm

ojaipony wrote:
MFFL02 wrote:Why are people seriously discussing if Markus Kennedy and/or Nic Moore will leave early for the NBA? Not only do they not pass the eye test, but not a single pundit has speculated on this occurring. Please stop, this is getting awkward.

Whose eye test? Yours?

It is my opinion that they both will end up eventually in the NBA. And, probably after next season. MK for sure injuries/personal issues excepting.

There is not a chance in hell Nic makes it in the NBA. He is listed at 5'9" but there isn't a chance he is a centimeter over 5'7". His closest comparison is Nate Robinson and he can't shoot or jump like Robinson can. I have ehard around campus that Markus is gone after this year. Whether that is the NBA or transferring I don't know, but I think it is safe to say he won't be here. And yes Markus does have an NBA future if he can polish up and keep his weight down.
SFtoHilltop
Recruit

Postby gostangs » Tue May 06, 2014 11:12 pm

i think nic can play in europe but not the NBA - he is 5-9, but that does not cut it. MK has more of a shot but not a good one. He is probably too short also to play post in the NBA
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting