PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks commits!

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks commits!

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Exactly. I agree that this guy looks like a really promising player.
Welcome to SMU, Ben!
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby fan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Stallion wrote:Think I read Hicks has a 93 GPA so this may be a recruit our academic reputation helped

This might come as a shock to some on this board but there are actually very good recruits out there who are positively swayed by our academic rep. Parents and Grandparents do have an influence on these kids and the vast majority know the value of an SMU education.
fan
Varsity

Postby footballdad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 pm

fan wrote:
Stallion wrote:Think I read Hicks has a 93 GPA so this may be a recruit our academic reputation helped

This might come as a shock to some on this board but there are actually very good recruits out there who are positively swayed by our academic rep. Parents and Grandparents do have an influence on these kids and the vast majority know the value of an SMU education.

What is a 93 GPA?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm

footballdad wrote:
fan wrote:

What is a 93 GPA?

Averages 189 in all classes.

(4.0 = 100 , 93 - 4 + 100 = 189(Math, not even once))
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 pm

The assumption when making the post was that it was on a 100 point scale so perhaps A? 3.9?
Last edited by fan on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fan
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:20 pm

citation is to his Rivals page-actually listed as a 92 GPA
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jpe747 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:32 pm

92 GPA is OK with me. LOL
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Morris The Cat » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:58 am

My high school measured grades on a 100 point scale, not a 4.0 scale.
Has to be the same in this case, right?
Morris The Cat

Postby ponyup2018 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Possibility that he might redshirt next year? Matt Davis did show some promise towards the end of this year, so no need to throw him in with a team that's still in transition. And it might be a good idea to give Hicks a year to work with Morris before he takes over. He also will get to work with two Morris recruiting classes his first year as a starter instead of just his own. Plus, we get an extra year of eligibility out of him and are starting him in seasons where we actually might be contenders. Colbert could take second team reps this year while Hicks redshirts.

Hicks has a big arm and seems like he's mobile enough in the pocket (kind of a Tony Romo-like surprising elusiveness, but a little faster). I think he'll be a perfect fit in Morris's offense.
ponyup2018

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:05 pm

I personally bet Hicks knows the new offense better than Davis by the end of this spring practice. I wouldn't hand anything to Davis based on last season-he hasn't earned it. All he demonstrated was that he was an athlete-which we already knew-not that he's a QB.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby ponyup2018 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Stallion wrote:I personally bet Hicks knows the new offense better than Davis by the end of this spring practice. I wouldn't hand anything to Davis based on last season-he hasn't earned it. All he demonstrated was that he was an athlete-which we already knew-not that he's a QB.

I would still hold on to Hicks's eligibility as well waiting before throwing him out there. It's a stretch to expect this team to go from 1-11 to a good (used relatively) team. Is Hicks the better option? Yes. Does it make sense to start him right now? No. Don't not start him because he's the inferior player, but rather because we want to save his eligibility. It's going to be a process that isn't fixed with one recruiting class. Give it time for the Chad Morris effect to work its magic and then start Hicks when he has a better supporting cast around him. Don't want to set him up to fail.
ponyup2018

Postby malonish » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm

ponyup2018 wrote:
Stallion wrote:I personally bet Hicks knows the new offense better than Davis by the end of this spring practice. I wouldn't hand anything to Davis based on last season-he hasn't earned it. All he demonstrated was that he was an athlete-which we already knew-not that he's a QB.

I would still hold on to Hicks's eligibility as well waiting before throwing him out there. It's a stretch to expect this team to go from 1-11 to a good (used relatively) team. Is Hicks the better option? Yes. Does it make sense to start him right now? No. Don't not start him because he's the inferior player, but rather because we want to save his eligibility. It's going to be a process that isn't fixed with one recruiting class. Give it time for the Chad Morris effect to work its magic and then start Hicks when he has a better supporting cast around him. Don't want to set him up to fail.

Welcome to our humble-not-so-humble board!
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:26 pm

ponyup2018 wrote:

Hicks came here to compete for the starting job not to get summarily redshirted. If he's the best guy for the job then he should start.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:33 pm

sbsmith wrote:
ponyup2018 wrote:

Hicks came here to compete for the starting job not to get summarily redshirted. If he's the best guy for the job then he should start.

Not unheard of for true freshmen to start right away and do well. (well, not at SMU but at other places). But, of course, if he's better than Davis and Burcham then I guess we have to go with him. I'm hoping some lights come on for Davis.
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:42 pm

someone needs to push Davis so he learns the playbook

Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting