PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

RB Denzell Evans from Arkansas to SMU?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: RB Denzell Evans from Arkansas to SMU?

Postby JasonB » Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
No Quarter wrote:One reference says that Evans scored two touchdowns in the Arkansas spring game. Is this a surprise to closer observers given his limited production in two seasons or had he been hurt or just waiting to get to top of the depth chart? Or is it possible he will change to defense at SMU?

He had 2 NFL RB's in front on him. I think he stays at RB.

I wonder if it increases the odds of our frosh recruit switching to LB sooner rather than later.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:22 am

JasonB wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:
No Quarter wrote:One reference says that Evans scored two touchdowns in the Arkansas spring game. Is this a surprise to closer observers given his limited production in two seasons or had he been hurt or just waiting to get to top of the depth chart? Or is it possible he will change to defense at SMU?

He had 2 NFL RB's in front on him. I think he stays at RB.

I wonder if it increases the odds of our frosh recruit switching to LB sooner rather than later.

It shouldn't, he was promised a chance at RB and he should be given a legitimate chance at RB. Part of the reason he committed to SMU over other P5 schools is that he was promised a legitimate chance at RB. Plus we only have Evans for 2 years anyway. We can redshirt Carmouche if he does well at RB and he will give us a big back for 3 years after Evans is gone.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu May 26, 2016 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ClickClack » Thu May 26, 2016 7:36 am

A very reliable source close to one of the offensive coaches said coach doesn't think he is going to have Carmouche on offense for long...kid is a LB all the way.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

ClickClack wrote:A very reliable source close to one of the offensive coaches said coach doesn't think he is going to have Carmouche on offense for long...kid is a LB all the way.

Yeah, I was thinking that when Carmouche comes in and sees the players we have at RB (we had 4 legit in the spring and then you add Evans to that mix), he will move to LB so that he can play early. Evans only has 2 years but the others are all underclassmen.
JasonB

Postby stangsup4 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 am

ClickClack wrote:A very reliable source close to one of the offensive coaches said coach doesn't think he is going to have Carmouche on offense for long...kid is a LB all the way.

This is great news.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:10 pm

JasonB wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that when Carmouche comes in and sees the players we have at RB (we had 4 legit in the spring and then you add Evans to that mix), he will move to LB so that he can play early. Evans only has 2 years but the others are all underclassmen.

All the "others" are not big backs. We only have 2 of those, Evans and Carmouche. He may move to LB but not before he gets a legit chance at RB.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri May 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Evans not happening now.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Rebel10 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:03 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Evans not happening now.

Is it a transfer credit issue?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

RB Denzell Evans from Arkansas to SMU?

Postby smupony94 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:06 pm

June's revenge

Aka Pony's Law
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Fri May 27, 2016 6:41 pm

The WDNWHA Committee does not have an off season
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Fri May 27, 2016 6:55 pm

basically it boils down to-we don't have room for him in the class under the 25 scholarship limit-tried to fit him under an exception allowing us to count him forward to the Class of 2017 but can't because he was previously recruited by SMU. If we had a spot left in Class of 2016 we could have signed him. The heavy hand of Gerald Turner and his anti-athletic army of academic overlords had nothing to do with it---this time :|
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Fri May 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Bummer!!!
mustangxc

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:58 am

Stallion wrote:basically it boils down to-we don't have room for him in the class under the 25 scholarship limit-tried to fit him under an exception allowing us to count him forward to the Class of 2017 but can't because he was previously recruited by SMU. If we had a spot left in Class of 2016 we could have signed him. The heavy hand of Gerald Turner and his anti-athletic army of academic overlords had nothing to do with it---this time :|

I appreciate this perspective, but I've decided to blame Turner anyway. It's just so much easier and doesn't require any independent thought, which just makes me tired. Anyone want to grab a pitchfork and join me as I go burn down Dallas Hall over this outrage?
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonyKai » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 am

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
Stallion wrote:basically it boils down to-we don't have room for him in the class under the 25 scholarship limit-tried to fit him under an exception allowing us to count him forward to the Class of 2017 but can't because he was previously recruited by SMU. If we had a spot left in Class of 2016 we could have signed him. The heavy hand of Gerald Turner and his anti-athletic army of academic overlords had nothing to do with it---this time :|

I appreciate this perspective, but I've decided to blame Turner anyway. It's just so much easier and doesn't require any independent thought, which just makes me tired. Anyone want to grab a pitchfork and join me as I go burn down Dallas Hall over this outrage?

Let's do it.
PonyKai

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Kind of ironic - as I understand it we couldn't blueshirt him because SMU had previously recruited him at his high school. So one of the few times June's staff went out to recruit actually ended up hurting us.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting