PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017 Baylor commitments

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017 Baylor commitments

Postby Lebanese4Life » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:30 am

Rebel10 wrote:While I realize when a commit decommits to look at bigger offers it can be considered a good thing from a recruiting pub standpoint but I don't think it was a good thing to lose Hampton unless they can replace him with someone equally as good or better and there are no guarantees that will happen. Can't wait for the first Baylor decommit to commit to SMU since some believe that will happen. If it does more power to this coaching staff.

Um, no matter how you look at it, this hurts. And I'd be ecstatic if any of Baylors highly rated commits pick SMU over A&M, Texas, TCU, or hell, even Houston.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:21 am

mrydel wrote:Losing commits mean you have good commits.

Not necessarily. June Jones proved the exception to the rule when one of our commits decided to walk on at another school because we did not keep in touch at all.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:27 am

Stallion wrote:UH is right on our heals with 3 top decommitments-TCU and A&M had double digit decommitments last year. Its what happens when you get early commitments from top recruits sometimes more than a year before signing date. Kids want to go on visits and I don't blame them. It didn't happen much when we recruited leftovers. Coaches that insist on this zero tolerance test are going to get burned.

I really see that as being a mistake by Morris. He needs to loosen up and allow committed players to take all of their allowable official visits. I think if he does, he will improve the relationships he has with recruits and sends the message of "you are free to look around but I challenge you to find a better all around package when you add it all up including academics, alumni relations, football schemes, relationships with our coaching staff, Dallas, etc." Honestly, recruiting visits are one of the few perks allowed by the NCAA, so players should take advantage and have their egos massaged and be taken out to fancy dinners, etc.
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 am

I just do not have a problem with it. I am sure the kids are told the guidelines. If they want to continue visits then don't commit. If change the policy we are just being used as a safety school and I do not want that reputation.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:14 am

mrydel wrote:I just do not have a problem with it. I am sure the kids are told the guidelines. If they want to continue visits then don't commit. If change the policy we are just being used as a safety school and I do not want that reputation.

I see your argument, but I see it more as players taking advantage of the other schools. The other schools are willing to be taken advantage of in the off chance one of these recruits has a change of heart.
mustangxc

Postby ojaipony » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:58 am

If you build the relationship right, with the recruits/parents/coaches, then I don't see an issue with "stick to your commitment or don't commit". And I have faith that Chad et al are building the relationships right. So, it sounds like a sound policy to me. It's easier to have those direct/frank commitments when the relationship is solid.
ojaipony

Postby footballdad » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:01 pm

The policy is worthless in the real world, and provides zero benefit, as witnessed by the 4 decommits already.

I'm sure all of them said 'yes sir, I'm 100% committed and won't take any of my visits.' Then they called back and said 'I've received a number of other offers, and since this is the most important decision of my young life, instead of having my hands tied by your stupid policy, I now have to decommit.'
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:13 pm

What part of don't commit until you know you are done with your visits and you know you are dedicated to our team are these geniuses unable to grasp?
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:39 pm

I'll take Morris vast recruiting experience on this issue over the opinion of any of the inexperienced recruiting hacks on this board. Its his career on the line - Im guessing he has this pretty well figured out.
gostangs

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Glad we have Charlie Brewer to help keep Cade Brewer committed to SMU. I would not think he would visit OU.

Billy Embody
Billy Embody‏ @BillyEmbody
2017 #SMU commit with a big offer from #OU.
Embedded
FridayNightFanstand‏ @FridayFanstandNEW FRIDAY: iReporter @mdavis98 confirms #LakeTravis (SMU commit) TE Cade Brewer ('17) latest offer from #Oklahoma
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby footballdad » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:34 pm

mrydel wrote:What part of don't commit until you know you are done with your visits and you know you are dedicated to our team are these geniuses unable to grasp?

Not sure if 17/18 year old kids, and geniuses belong in the same sentence.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:44 pm

gostangs wrote:I'll take Morris vast recruiting experience on this issue over the opinion of any of the inexperienced recruiting hacks on this board. Its his career on the line - Im guessing he has this pretty well figured out.

Vast recruiting experience......wasn't he a high school coach only 5-6 years ago?

Wonder if they had the same policy at Clemson? (not)

How many other D1 coaches have that policy? Is there a SINGLE P5 coach?

Yeah I'm sure he's got it all figured out.....it's time for all of those other clueless coaches and hacks to catch up with the times! :roll:

Time will tell, or not, when he's coaching at A&M in 2 years and he tosses the policy.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:46 pm

That is why a parent or parents should be helping them to grow up and accept some responsibility.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Mack Brown did--and it worked until it didn't. It especially worked when Texas was the first to emphasize early commitments at its Junior Days at end of February-early March. Now pretty much everybody gets their offers out early-except for the Offensive Coordinator at Kapolei High
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:05 pm

mrydel wrote:That is why a parent or parents should be helping them to grow up and accept some responsibility.

Yeah, I'm sure the Ebner's, Hampton's, Green's, and McBride's are just bad parents, with poor parenting skills. Their 'genius' offspring most likely just clueless and bad kids.

Damn helicopter parents!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting