PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017 Baylor commitments

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017 Baylor commitments

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:43 pm

The NCAA states that verbal commitment are non binding. And nobody is married until signing day in February. If these kids were told by the coaches if after they commit they have second thoughts and wanted to visit other schools that they should decommit but that SMU would not hold there scholarship then I see nothing wrong with what these kids are doing. They are not making other visits while committed to SMU. The did the right thing by decommitting and then looking at other options. Seems like they are doing what they were asked to do if any uncertainty came up before signing day. Again, they are not visiting while committed. And some decommits from SMU are still being recruited by SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:14 am

I actually agree with Rebel in this. I do not agree with them committing in the first place if they are not ready to do so. That means we are being used as a safety school and I do not like that. But I would believe the door is still open for some to come back should they desire.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mtrout » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:03 am

Getting top players to SMU football right now is hard. CM gets an A for effort. If SMU truly had such excellent football facilities then maybe he wouldn't be as inclined to prohibit other visits. If a kid visits SMU then visits a decent P5 (or Houston), it's like a different world in the football area. That's why he keeps showing that football facilities master plan. If it wouldn't really freakin help then he wouldn't sell design plans.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:51 am

Anyone that would prohibit an official visit I would tell to blow. That game may have worked for a national championship contender. But not at SMU.

Furthermore I believe it would bode well for everyone for them to be able to use our free parking - in other words your stock Rises when you commit because our staff knows how to focus on guys under the radar.

If the head coach is successful for two years he won't even be around these kids for their entire collegiate career - so why should they be loyal to him. Fools are born everyday ..
One Trick Pony

2017 Baylor commitments

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:17 am

Then why should they commit? Has anyone looked up the definition of that word?

I guess our wives should have no problem if we keep dating other women. This is great.

And if the coach leaves, I think the player should be allowed to transfer without having to sit out.
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:41 am

Actually I should compare engagement and still dating since marriage would be the equivalent of signing.

This is why I think there should be an early signing period. How many of our kids would actually sign today? If they would not, they should not commit.
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:03 am

The NCAA really should use other terms than commitment. Really the NCAA says it is a non binding commitment. Kind of an oxymoron. But we really should not redefine verbal non binding commitment to mean verbal binding commitment. By the way, the college can pull scholarships before signing day as well. I really don't have that much of a problem with kids visiting because some of get kids by have offers (even after they commit to SMU) from places that they may never go to ever in the there entire life and would just like to visit the area since that school is paying for it. But I am glad Eric Dickerson did not stay committed to aTm and came to SMU. Also, we are talking about commitment and commits should stay committed even though it is defined as a non binding commitment then I guess the Baylor kids should stay committed since they gave their word to Baylor.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby footballdad » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:17 pm

mrydel wrote:I actually agree with Rebel in this. I do not agree with them committing in the first place if they are not ready to do so. That means we are being used as a safety school and I do not like that. But I would believe the door is still open for some to come back should they desire.

SMU IS a safety school, just like most of the rest of the non-P5.

A Texas player with a few non-P5 offers looks at the location, the education, the campus, and commits to SMU.

Then he gets his first P5 offer, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd or 4th. He takes an unofficial visit and gets wowed by the facilities and all the extra goodies. Once the season starts, he takes in an SMU game with 15k fans, followed by a P5 game with 50-80K, and it's over.

Highly, highly unlikely they come back once they decommit. The only reason for decommit in the first place is greener pastures.

It's a tough job, and Morris is doing the best he can. Just another reason he'll jump to P5 asap, so he doesn't have to worry about being the safety school. No doubt once he gets to A&M (or wherever) he'll be hauling in Top 10 recruiting classes (without the no visit policy).
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:18 pm

My son asked me to go on every one of his official visits so I did we had a blast.

One of the guys recruiting him the hardest at Iowa State wasn't there during the official visit and the person that was, wasn't high on him. Kyle was ready to commit up there but this guy said no we really don't have a spot for you because they were thinking they were going to get the 5 star. I looked him dead in the face and told him to screw off and quit wasting OurTime. Of course they never got that five star and thought they were getting the three-star haha. And in McCartney's words Kyle is a cyclone right oh yes absolutely one hundred percent sir. UCF treated him like gold from the start to the Finish. After that [deleted] he committed to everyone

It's a game you need to play it or get played. The rest is all just semantics
One Trick Pony

Postby footballdad » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:24 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:My son asked me to go on every one of his official visits so I did we had a blast.

One of the guys recruiting him the hardest at Iowa State wasn't there during the official visit and the person that was, wasn't high on him. Kyle was ready to commit up there but this guy said no we really don't have a spot for you because they were thinking they were going to get the 5 star. I looked him dead in the face and told him to screw off and quit wasting OurTime. Of course they never got that five star and thought they were getting the three-star haha. And in McCartney's words Kyle is a cyclone right oh yes absolutely one hundred percent sir. UCF treated him like gold from the start to the Finish. After that [deleted] he committed to everyone

It's a game you need to play it or get played. The rest is all just semantics

Terrible parenting! Haha 8)
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:29 pm

I taught them to fight too 8-)
One Trick Pony

Postby footballdad » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:30 pm

......and Iowa State thought they were actually going to get a 5 star? :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Well this story sounds better if its a 5 star. Maybe it was just a really fast 2 Star star lol
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:41 pm

Well I was recruited after I committed and although I was asked repeatedly just to visit I said no because I respected the word commitment. I do not know what Hayden's policy was because it did not matter. I chose to be a man of my word. Sorry to hear other parents think it is fine not to think that way.
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:44 pm

I'm really disappointed you're disappointed lol.

How do you feel about the ZIP code marriage rules
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting