PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017 Baylor commitments

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017 Baylor commitments

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Maybe SMU should not try to go after kids that are or were committed to Baylor. Maybe the Baylor kids should keep their verbal non binding commitment. SMU has offered kids that are committed to other schools, maybe they should stop doing that. Seems hypocritical to some degree. But anytime you redefine what the NCAA has defined then this type of thing can happen.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/fu ... commitment

This phrase is used to describe a college-bound student-athlete's commitment to a school before he or she signs (or is able to sign) a National Letter of Intent. A college-bound student-athlete can announce a verbal commitment at any time. While verbal commitments have become very popular for both college-bound student-athletes and coaches, this "commitment" is NOT binding on either the college-bound student-athlete or the college or university. Only the signing of the National Letter of Intent accompanied by a financial aid agreement is binding on both parties.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:33 pm

mrydel-how long before signing date did you commit? Most recruiting in the Dark Ages was done in November through February or was it March back then
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:38 pm

this "commitment" is NOT binding on either the college-bound student-athlete or the college or university. Only the signing of the National Letter of Intent accompanied by a financial aid agreement is binding on both parties.[/quote]

---------

That's all I've been trying to say mofos word of Honor has nothing to do with it.

Furthermore it's year to year ..
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I committed very late.

By the way guys, I do know the NCAA rules, no need to keep quoting them. I do realize people have changed commitments before.

I am going to just call it "I promise you I am going to go to your school but I don't really mean it and I am just using you until someone likes me better because you are really not good enough for me but I am not sure if I am good enough for anyone else and I guess you are better than nothingment."
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Unfortunately that's it in a nutshell.

Now take college recruiting out of it yes my work is extremely important to me.
One Trick Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:26 pm

As stated by the NCAA the word commitment by their meaning is not used as the traditional meaning of the word. Nor does it give any nuisances of it thereby. That is probably why they capitalized the word NOT. But some coaches from schools go to these recruits and say things like we only have a few slots left and we are only taking one RB so you need to think about it before someone else commits. Then the kid commits early because at the time the school might his best or only offer but a few months later he gets a better offers and wants to visits. So sometime the coaches can put recruits in a position of commit now or loose your chance. Also usually schools pull scholarships too so they do they same thing because they know it is not binding.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Stallion wrote:mrydel-how long before signing date did you commit? Most recruiting in the Dark Ages was done in November through February or was it March back then

This is so true. If I recall, I was not contacted by a school until after my last game of my senior year. And that was the norm. I do not remember exactly when I committed but I was the last commit to SMU that year and I believe I was number 35 or 38. It was the most ever signed at SMU at the time. Back in those days I believe there was a 60 limit and the big boys would use BB or other scholarships to sign 70 or 80.
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:31 pm

mrydel wrote:
Stallion wrote:mrydel-how long before signing date did you commit? Most recruiting in the Dark Ages was done in November through February or was it March back then

This is so true. If I recall, I was not contacted by a school until after my last game of my senior year. And that was the norm. I do not remember exactly when I committed but I was the last commit to SMU that year and I believe I was number 35 or 38. It was the most ever signed at SMU at the time. Back in those days I believe there was a 60 limit and the big boys would use BB or other scholarships to sign 70 or 80.

Mrydel, was Tom Osborne at Nebraska back in those days. I remember he signed a lot of players at signing day in his early days.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm kinda wondering how many stars your chipmunk is
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:33 pm

Chipmunks are rated by "nuts" and he is a male so he has 2 nuts.
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
mrydel wrote:

Mrydel, was Tom Osborne at Nebraska back in those days. I remember he signed a lot of players at signing day in his early days.

Osborne, Royal, Broyles, Fairbanks, et al
mrydel

Postby SMU89 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:41 pm

mrydel wrote:Chipmunks are rated by "nuts" and he is a male so he has 2 nuts.

So his diamonds in the sack have been determined
SMU89

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:53 pm

Ain't no party like a chipmunk party
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:54 pm

To get back on to the previous subject I would like to reiterate my personal position. I certainly have no problem with a player decommitting. I also have no problem with Morris pulling the commitment of the player continues visits after committing. I believe they both work equally and independently. If you are going to stay committed there is no reason to visit others. Either do not commit and visit your tail off or decommit and visit until you are ready to commit. I feel like it had morphed into me being against decommitting. Actually that is what should be done if your are going to keep visiting.
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:59 pm

I disagree but that's okay we're both grown men.

And getting back to the more important storyline here.

One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting