PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jarrett Stidham

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jarrett Stidham

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:49 pm

gostangs wrote:Neither of those programs will hire Briles. You don't understand who makes these decisions if you think so. Presidents want to advance their entire university, not just their athletic departments. There is NO reason to draw fire on yourself by hiring this person and then having something happen. That would mean the president is fired instead of the coach.

Yep. No big university president is going to sign off on hiring Briles. Maybe UH, but I think even that's a stretch
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
gostangs wrote:Neither of those programs will hire Briles. You don't understand who makes these decisions if you think so. Presidents want to advance their entire university, not just their athletic departments. There is NO reason to draw fire on yourself by hiring this person and then having something happen. That would mean the president is fired instead of the coach.

Yep. No big university president is going to sign off on hiring Briles. Maybe UH, but I think even that's a stretch

I think that might not be true. Recently, he has done a nice job of deflecting blame onto the school.

I believe in second chances. Hopefully, he can figure out a path toward rehabilitation.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Digetydog wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:

I think that might not be true. Recently, he has done a nice job of deflecting blame onto the school.

I believe in second chances. Hopefully, he can figure out a path toward rehabilitation.

Digety,

There is a looming Federal investigation.

Simple question. Would YOU hire him before the Feds present their results? You realize the potential egg on your face if you find out he's not so innocent. That could lead to the end of your job and maybe your career. Way too high a risk IMO. And why take that risk?, because you want success on the FB field?, totally plays into the narrative of what's wrong.

I mean, it's not like schools don't have other choices.
SoCal_Pony

Postby gostangs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Literally no president of BOT would approve Briles. If something happened on his watch you would be cleaned out by the slimy attys.

He will not work at any big program again.
gostangs

Postby Digetydog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Digety,

There is a looming Federal investigation.

Simple question. Would YOU hire him before the Feds present their results? You realize the potential egg on your face if you find out he's not so innocent. That could lead to the end of your job and maybe your career. Way too high a risk IMO. And why take that risk?, because you want success on the FB field?, totally plays into the narrative of what's wrong.

I mean, it's not like schools don't have other choices.

1) Simple, I don't think that he is "innocent." Second chances are for people who make mistakes and who are guilty. Generally, I don't believe in lifetime bans.

2) The Federal Title IX Investigation is into Baylor's Title IX Compliance (clearly lacking) program. One of the reasons businesses/schools/other have compliance programs is to protect people from doing dumb stuff. Clearly, Briles made mistake and used poor judgment on transfers/suspensions.

Unless once strongly suspects there may be evidence that he concealed evidence of crimes (see Dave Bliss) and/or otherwise advised players on how to "get away with it" out there, I think he should be able to work again as a coach (with appropriate supervision).

Questions:

1) If he is "guilty," how long before he can work again?
2) If he wanted to coach HS again, would that be OK? Pee Wee Football?
3) If I am a HC I want to hire him to be my OC, is that OK? If not immediately, what is the mandatory waiting period? Does he have to be a QB coach before he can be a coordinator?
4) If he cannot coach again, what jobs are OK for someone with his "record?" Can he sell insurance? Do radio/TV? Serve on a Bank Board?
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:46 pm

“It was all about football, My response was that we felt like our fiduciary duty was to uphold the mission of the university. That was the primary objective. It was not just to win football games.”

Ron Murff, Chairman of Baylor Board of Regents.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Digetydog » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:38 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:“It was all about football, My response was that we felt like our fiduciary duty was to uphold the mission of the university. That was the primary objective. It was not just to win football games.”

Ron Murff, Chairman of Baylor Board of Regents.

Briles is probably done.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Briles should either take a job with Liberty (Jesus) or as Saban's assistant. He is too hot for any other College program

Jesus or Saban-take your pick
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:06 am

Stallion wrote:Briles should either take a job with Liberty (Jesus) or as Saban's assistant. He is too hot for any other College program

Jesus or Saban-take your pick

Saban would give him time to rehab and become a HC once again, but Liberty will sink him a la Bo Pellini.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Recruiting