PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question about recruiting...

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question about recruiting...

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:55 am

This might have been answered earlier in the year, so apologies in advance I generally only get on for football/basketball (since we have no baseball :( ).

What is up with the 2* and no ranked players? Are we going back to the DiR strategy that June was doing? I think there were 3 2* and 2 0* and if I saw correctly they didn't have any P5 offers. I'm just curious if they were just trying to get bodies or if they have some true hidden potential. Thanks for the comments, this looks to be another year where we watch recruiting versus football.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Question about recruiting...

Postby Digetydog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:20 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:This might have been answered earlier in the year, so apologies in advance I generally only get on for football/basketball (since we have no baseball :( ).

What is up with the 2* and no ranked players? Are we going back to the DiR strategy that June was doing? I think there were 3 2* and 2 0* and if I saw correctly they didn't have any P5 offers. I'm just curious if they were just trying to get bodies or if they have some true hidden potential. Thanks for the comments, this looks to be another year where we watch recruiting versus football.

For 2017, we don't have any No Star commits. Generally, we are getting high level AAC talent + a few players that are P5 level prospects. Because our coaches actually do Due Diligence trying to find talent, we aren't just throwing out random offers. They know what they are looking for.

Last year, we lost a commit to Memphis late in the process. Morris responded by offering and signing K Freeman.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:30 am

Our last two recruiting classes have been above average and not even close to June's video tape and personal favors selections.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:18 pm

the difference is that when we offer a kid with a more modest offer list they generally have been to our camps for 2 years, they have been thoroughly scouted and we have concrete relationships with both the recruit and their coaches ie we do our homework and we are generally finding them very early in the process not scrambling around at the last minute

a guy like Justin Guy-Robinson who has run a laser timed 4.45 and the Athlete Kayce Medlock who ran a laser timed 4.40 (and been upgraded) We've had about 5 decommitments and just about every one was under the radar before later committing to BCS powerhouses. I think SMU's staff is canvassing the Texas recruiting crop as well as any staff in Texas

Wasn't there a statistic from the last class that all SMU commits (or close) had attended SMU camps
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:26 pm

I appreciate the feedback fellas. It's great to hear the confidence in our recruiting methodology and I know its night and day compare to ol Jones recruiting.

In response to the no-stars and 2*, I was referring to PonyPride's list (as examples: Shane Hailey and Elijah McQueen).

I do value the "RankByOffers" website, I do think that's more indicative of value for recruits, but anyways thanks everyone.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Shaine Hailey was First Team All-State last year as a Junior in the highest private school classification and Elijah McQueen has averaged about 160 yards per game so far this year as a RB and plays LB as well.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Stallion wrote:Shaine Hailey was First Team All-State last year as a Junior in the highest private school classification and Elijah McQueen has averaged about 160 yards per game so far this year as a RB and plays LB as well.

Good info thanks.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:28 pm

TidePony wrote:Our last two recruiting classes have been above average and not even close to June's video tape and personal favors selections.

While that is a valid point one other thing to remember is that this is not CUSA and the other coaches in the conference can flat out recruit as well. We are just trying to catch up to stay even mostly with the middle of the road teams.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:25 am

Rebel10 wrote:
TidePony wrote:Our last two recruiting classes have been above average and not even close to June's video tape and personal favors selections.

While that is a valid point one other thing to remember is that this is not CUSA and the other coaches in the conference can flat out recruit as well. We are just trying to catch up to stay even mostly with the middle of the road teams.

Yes but there is no excuse for SMU to not be pulling top 3 AAC classes every year with UH and USF/UCF
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:33 am

No excuse for a Head Coach recruiting off 1 and 2 win seasons? Rebuilding is a stair-step process. You don't go out and recruit Top 40 Classes in the AAC off 1 and 2 win seasons. We need to get to 6 wins and then watch Morris recruit

Stallion

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:56 am

Stallion wrote:No excuse for a Head Coach recruiting off 1 and 2 win seasons? Rebuilding is a stair-step process. You don't go out and recruit Top 40 Classes in the AAC off 1 and 2 win seasons. We need to get to 6 wins and then watch Morris recruit

I was referring to long term. Long term in the AAC, SMU has no excuse to be a top 3 or even top 2 essentially battling UH for the best kids.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:43 am

Pony Boss wrote:
Stallion wrote:No excuse for a Head Coach recruiting off 1 and 2 win seasons? Rebuilding is a stair-step process. You don't go out and recruit Top 40 Classes in the AAC off 1 and 2 win seasons. We need to get to 6 wins and then watch Morris recruit

I was referring to long term. Long term in the AAC, SMU has no excuse to be a top 3 or even top 2 essentially battling UH for the best kids.

Need to get to six wins though to even get a shot at USF and UH type recruiting classes as Stallion said. I think we can go to a bowl next year, not sure about anything this year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Digetydog » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Pony Boss wrote:

Even with two dismal seasons, Rivals had SMU right behind (mixed in with) the AAC bowl teams. Long term, We are going to be fine if we stop losing 10+ games per year.

For 2017, our class is currently 3rd in Avg Stars behind UH and Memphis.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:00 pm

I agree that losing 10+ games a year is a detriment to success.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:26 pm

So wait.... Just to be clear....the goal is to win games? I'm so confused!!
gostangs

Next

Return to Recruiting