PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charlie Brewer Starting QB Next Season?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Charlie Brewer Starting QB Next Season?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:We should have plenty of depth at QB next year so I would love to see Brewer RS, stick around for 5 years, earn a graduate degree and be the QB that has the rest of our conference mates wondering "will that guy ever graduate and leave?"

Just because you have depth does not mean you don't play the best player. If Brewer comes out of Spring ball as the best QB he should start period.

I agree but just not sure it will happen. I don't think Morris always put his best guys on the field this past season because he appeared to be thinking longer term. 2017 is time to produce so whoever gives this team it's best shot at winning games should get the nod.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Well next year will be 2017. And yes that is the time to produce so he will put the best players on the field imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:52 pm

I think Rafe Peavey will probably be the guy to emerge in the Spring but if he doesn't or is injured I could see a scenario of Brewer running the offense better than Hicks or Gillens during the Spring and playing as a freshman just as Buechele out-played 2 Senior experienced QBs at Texas. I don't anticipate it-hope we can redshirt Brewer but I'm confident he could do it. As Hank Carter said yesterday-when he took over for Morris they didn't change much
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Stallion wrote:I think Rafe Peavey will probably be the guy to emerge in the Spring but if he doesn't or is injured I could see a scenario of Brewer running the offense better than Hicks or Gillens during the Spring and playing as a freshman just as Buechele out-played 2 Senior experienced QBs at Texas. I don't anticipate it-hope we can redshirt Brewer but I'm confident he could do it. As Hank Carter said yesterday-when he took over for Morris they didn't change much

Buchele out played two QBs who had a history of being AWFUL at UT. It is a little different situation. Hicks, for all his flaws, showed more this Fall then either of the UT QBs ever showed.

In October, HIcks has a 50% completion percentage, 2 TDs, 7 picks, and a 101.7 efficiency.
In September, 53.2, 7-4, 120
In November, 62.3, 8-4, 139. Significant improvement.

I'll also point out that while Buchele's stats overall were better than Hicks because he got out to a fast start, eventually teams figured out he couldn't go throw progressions, that everything he did was based on a pre-snap read, and as a result he really struggled at the end of the season.
November: 54.9, 4-5, 108.9

You don't want to go and risk your make or break year on a true freshman QB.

I agree that Morris is going to play the best player. I'll also suggest that Morris absolutely wants to name the starting QB for the fall coming out of spring practice.

He will start out the spring letting everyone throw - Hicks, Peavey, Gillens, Brewer, Colbert. After the first week, he will narrow it down to 3, and the last week will be the top two getting the majority of snaps. Last year the reason we had 3 still throwing at the end of spring was because none of the QBs looked that great. Matt got the time with the 1's and Colbert and HIcks split reps with the second team.

I think there is probably a 95% chance of both Hicks and Peavey surviving the first week of competition. The third slot I would put Gillens at 70% odds just because he has experience on a college campus.

Please don't mistake this for me saying that Hicks was the great QB I have seen or that I doubt Brewer's talent. I just think the odds are long for him to be the starting QB on this team heading out of Spring or heading out of the Fall. Everything is riding on our performance next fall, and 1) the only way that gets handed to a frosh is if he is Joe Montana or your current crew sucks and 2) I think we have enough good QBs to justify a redshirt.
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:06 am

Captain Obvious/bowl4us is in rare form in this thread....... :lol:
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:56 am

Did you just out ?
One Trick Pony

Previous

Return to Recruiting