PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charlie Brewer Starting QB Next Season?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Charlie Brewer Starting QB Next Season?

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:00 am

Jump ball at QB, WR, RB, TE and about 15 new players ready to contribute on both Offense and Defense-this is going to be the greatest Spring Training around here in Decades
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 am

leopold wrote:Christ, I got sick of the June Jones QB drama every year and don't want to see it now with CCM.

Hicks showed he could play. It's his until he loses it.

The QB drama will be nothing like June drama. Instead of two QB's trying to prove they aren't horrible, we are going to have 3-4 good QB prospects trying to prove they are the BEST QB. We are going to have the best QB competition in the post-DP era in the Spring.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:29 am

I really think this team will look close to nothing like last years - except maybe a bit on defense. It will feel like someone turned on a light switch.
gostangs

Postby Boston Pony » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:38 pm

The key isn't the skill positions, but the Lines (both OL & DL).
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:40 am

Boston Pony wrote:The key isn't the skill positions, but the Lines (both OL & DL).

So true
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:43 am

In general terms this is true but in our case our DL is pretty solid. It is the LBs that need to improve. Especially if we want to keep Navy in double digit scoring.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 am

2017 OL will be relatively young but by far the most highly recruited and talented group we've had on campus since the DP. Kadarius Smith and Jacob Todora could've started for us this year but they weren't physically ready to go. Both will be an upgrade over Saena and McCarty. I fully expect Braxton Webb, Harrison Barton, Alan Ali, and Hayden Howerton to push for playing time as well. Keaton Bates is Charmin soft as well as Marcus McNeil. Evan Brown is an NFL caliber center. Also, you can't even fathom what getting Chad Pursely back will do for this group. Pursely was easily our best OL in 2015 as a redshirt freshman playing at 275 pounds. He's up around 290 now and (hopefully) will be ready to roll in the fall. Collectively, I'm very optimistic about the offensive line.

The defensive line should be able to run out two full rotations of quality depth. Lawler, M. Scott, D. Scott, Gary, and Badejo are all quality ends. I do worry that we will be a bit soft in the middle with the departures of Deon Green and Zelt Minor. That said, we return Mason Gentry, Chris Biggurs, and very highly recruited redshirts in Ken McLaurin and Patrick Jones. I'm also pretty high on Harrison Loveless. I don't think he's going to be physically ready as a true freshman but you never know.

I agree that the LB's are the unit that is desperate for talent and depth. Noah Spears and Jordan Ward should be able to get plenty of PT early. Hopefully this spring we have the talk with Jordan Carmouche about moving to LB. We are about 5 deep at RB and his skill set is redundant with the ascension of Ke'Mon Freeman as the big back.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stangs1970 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:46 pm

My understanding is that Austin WL still runs Chad Morris' offense. So there isn't much of a learning curve if that's true.

As far as Hicks, he is a tough fit for this offense. He is not mobile at all and that takes away options from this offense. I think we could have won another have if he was somewhat mobile. There were lineman running him down. Not a knock on his performance, just a fact.
Stangs1970
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyCav » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Stangs1970 wrote:My understanding is that Austin WL still runs Chad Morris' offense. So there isn't much of a learning curve if that's true.

As far as Hicks, he is a tough fit for this offense. He is not mobile at all and that takes away options from this offense. I think we could have won another have if he was somewhat mobile. There were lineman running him down. Not a knock on his performance, just a fact.

Dude - it's Austin Lake Travis. We LT fans are offended easily.
PonyCav

Postby smupony94 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:37 pm

MadForChad wrote:
Stangs1970 wrote:My understanding is that Austin WL still runs Chad Morris' offense. So there isn't much of a learning curve if that's true.

Dude - it's Austin Lake Travis. We LT fans are offended easily.

How about me? Westlake grad now living next to LT high school
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:38 pm

And a purple nephew. You taking him to the Liberty Bowl?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:55 pm

We should have plenty of depth at QB next year so I would love to see Brewer RS, stick around for 5 years, earn a graduate degree and be the QB that has the rest of our conference mates wondering "will that guy ever graduate and leave?"
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:39 am

Charleston Pony wrote:We should have plenty of depth at QB next year so I would love to see Brewer RS, stick around for 5 years, earn a graduate degree and be the QB that has the rest of our conference mates wondering "will that guy ever graduate and leave?"

I used to ask that question about Case Keenum for like 8 years... :lol:
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:46 am

Congrats Charlie Brewer and Lake Travis! Texas State 6A High School Champion. 20-0 at the end of the first quarter. 4 TD passes. Lake Travis wins 41-13.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:30 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:We should have plenty of depth at QB next year so I would love to see Brewer RS, stick around for 5 years, earn a graduate degree and be the QB that has the rest of our conference mates wondering "will that guy ever graduate and leave?"

Just because you have depth does not mean you don't play the best player. If Brewer comes out of Spring ball as the best QB he should start period.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting