PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Redshirted This Past Season?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Redshirted This Past Season?

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Morris was very tempted to pull redshirts but did everything possible not to waste someone's year. I am disappointed that the LBs didn't start at the end of the year. We probably could have used them on special teams as well.

K Smith was the closest to play. In the fall you could tell he moved well for a big guy, but he just didn't have a punch. But I agree with Stallion - the fact that they weren't renewed indicates that the coaching staff feels like the others are ready to go.

The other thing I would point out is that Hicks looked awful at practice and during the first several games. The staff were the ones saying that Hicks was going to be good, even though nobody else who watched would have made that assessment. Hicks ended up having a pretty decent second part of the year, and the staff moved up a notch in my book in terms of projecting players.

I think your lineup is:
Pursley/Natour, Frosh/Hyder, Brown/JUCO, Frosh/Frosh, Frosh/Wilds.

So, if the frosh aren't ready, we should all be scared. But the fact that starters were not renewed indicates that the frosh are ready. I would expect us to be much more physical in the run game up the middle of the field next season.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Stallion wrote:No Offensive Lineman (other than David Richards) should ever play except in an emergency-I admit I thought we had an emergency on our hands after Temple

While I generally agree OL should RS, our OL was depleted enough that there was enough PT available for someone "good enough" that I would have made an exception for someone good enough to handle it b/c Some of them will have to play next year.
Last edited by Digetydog on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

JasonB wrote:Morris was very tempted to pull redshirts but did everything possible not to waste someone's year. I am disappointed that the LBs didn't start at the end of the year. We probably could have used them on special teams as well.

K Smith was the closest to play. In the fall you could tell he moved well for a big guy, but he just didn't have a punch. But I agree with Stallion - the fact that they weren't renewed indicates that the coaching staff feels like the others are ready to go.

The other thing I would point out is that Hicks looked awful at practice and during the first several games. The staff were the ones saying that Hicks was going to be good, even though nobody else who watched would have made that assessment. Hicks ended up having a pretty decent second part of the year, and the staff moved up a notch in my book in terms of projecting players.

I think your lineup is:
Pursley/Natour, Frosh/Hyder, Brown/JUCO, Frosh/Frosh, Frosh/Wilds.

So, if the frosh aren't ready, we should all be scared. But the fact that starters were not renewed indicates that the frosh are ready. I would expect us to be much more physical in the run game up the middle of the field next season.

I heard McCarty was renewed but didn't want to come back. Since he has had a lot of injuries and is not s NFL prospect, I get that.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Redshirted This Past Season?

Postby TidePony » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:16 pm

Kadarious was told twice to be ready to go in, but thank goodness he got to keep his redshirt. He'll be stronger and meaner next year. He needs to work hard in the off season to be ready to do his part. Push hard KD!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Recruiting