PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charlie Brewer Wins AP Texas (All Classes) Player of Year

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Charlie Brewer Wins AP Texas (All Classes) Player of Yea

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:16 am

After watching that game, he doesn't have the arm strength of drew brees, but man his accuracy is fantastic. Great mobility as well. Needs a redshirt year to be able to run through his progressions. Right now it is pre-snap reads and that is it.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:17 am

I remember watching Baker Mayfield slice and dice SMU thinking he didn't have the arm strength as a true freshman at Tech. I think Brewer right now throws with better arm strength than Baker Mayfield did as a freshman. Brewer outperformed Gilbert, his brother and Baker Mayfield in the same offense. I'm not too damn worried about arm strength at all. He's thrown a great, catchable deep ball all season
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:07 am

Accuracy goes a long way. He doesn't have the arm strength Gilbert has. Excited about his prospects, just pointing out that he may need a year to adjust. The higher levels you go to, the more defenses are able to trick you in the pre-snap read, which puts more emphasis on going through at least some of your progressions.
JasonB

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:17 pm

There is just a good of a chance he's Riley Dodge as Colt McCoy. I love his accuracy and anticipation skills but his throwing motion (big windmill wind-up) and lack of velocity are clearly evident and explains the lack of offers despite playing for one of the most high profile high schools programs in America. Coaches know better than any of us.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:43 pm

JasonB... We can respectfully disagree. In other threads you seem to think that Coach Morris and Staff are going to stay with their man Ben Hicks. Hicks was given his chance. Hicks failed. Unfortunately Coach Morris and Staff did not have any other true options on the roster at QB last season. Hicks is horrible. Hicks even redshirted a year. Hicks was granted time to learn the offense, get stronger, and granted time to learn how to go through his progressions. This did not seem to help Hicks, let's face it you either have the talent or you don't. Hicks does not.

Some of us realists here are more than ready to turn the page on Ben Hicks. To think that Ben Hicks won an Honorable Mention with the games he played is laughable. Imagine if SMU had any other QB from the AAC, SMU would have probably won at least two more games last season. Ben Hicks is not our man going forward. Coach Morris now has options.

In this thread you mention that Charlie Brewer does not have the arm strength. Respectfully I don't know what game you watched. Brewer probably has more arm strength than Ben Hicks. Did you watch any of the SMU games this season? Brewer is definitely more of an accurate passer than Hicks. Hicks was incredibly inconsistent and horribly inaccurate with his throws. Ben Hicks has difficulty hitting open receivers. Give me a QB with the accuracy and consistency of Charlie Brewer any day. Charlie Brewer has command of his offense and understands the offensive system. Ben Hicks has no clue, plays scared, is not a playmaker, throws way too many interceptions, cannot read defenses, throws into double and triple coverage, cannot find open receivers. If you want to talk about a QB that cannot go through his progressions look at Ben Hicks.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:39 pm

While I agree Hicks is (hopefully) not SMU's starting QB going forward, it's more than a bit harsh calling him "horrible". Some are ignoring the fact he was a RS FR playing his 1st year at this level and doing so behind a patchwork offensive line...who was also without the team's best RB this season. Those things make a difference so from where I sat, Hicks might have been the most improved guy on our team this year. Having said that, I agree he throws a lot of wounded ducks and lacked the mobility I hope our next starting QB will have. I want defenses to fear a QB that will run when necessary to keep defenses honest and/or to move the chains at critical points in the game.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Baker Mayfield started as a freshmen and went through his progressions very well. And he came out of Hank Carter's offense too. That progression argument is just a bunch of junk. The young can play and is enriching early and will compete imo. He is accurate and has some wheels.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Riley Dodge was a 65% passer in College-he turned down several other Division 1A offers including SMU and Texas to play for his Dad-then he got hurt as an upperclassmen and had to play WR because he couldn't throw well any more. He actually committed to Texas before his Dad got the NTSU job

"UNT coach Todd Dodge said the decision was made after an MRI this week revealed damage to the ulnar nerve in his son's right elbow, the residual effect of two serious arm injuries in the last three years."

http://www.espn.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5059117
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Riley Dodge was never going to play QB at Texas. How were those UNT teams BTW?

The point is that college recruiters/coaches know more than any of us and despite playing for the #1 team in the state Charlie Brewer garnered zero P5 offers and really no interest from P5 outside of a flirtation with Colorado this summer. I hope he's a great one and we're the smartest guys in the room and he's a huge success but it is pretty clear he has some work to do before he's ready to play at the college level. Redshirting would do him a tremendous amount of good.
StallionsModelT

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Wild Mustang, I appreciate the conversation. I think I have a pretty strong record saying that I was never impressed with Hicks in any of the practices or scrimmages I saw. My nickname for him is Scud, because you just have no idea where the missile is going to land. He has mobility issues as well.

That said, he did play much better as the season went along. His accuracy improved as well (ball size adjustment and mechanics improvement). He struggled in some games towards the end, partially because when the weather gets colder and wind picks up, not throwing a tight spiral comes back to bite you.

All of that not withstanding, the coaches loved him going into last spring. They think he has a super high ceiling. I think there are feelings all around the fandom and the coaching staff that the team would have won a couple more games with Davis at QB. But they haven't lost faith in Hicks.

I fully expect Hicks to be the starter going into spring. But I also expect Peavy to give him a run for his money, and possibly (probably?) win the starting job. Having 3 QBs with experience in a college program gives us the luxury of redshirting Brewer.

I'm certainly not saying that I am not a big Brewer fan. I think he can be a tremendous QB. But I think that expecting him to come in and win the job is a little unfair to him.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Matt Davis was in College for 5 years and still doesn't know what a progression is

actually in the last 9 games, Ben Hicks was 5X better than Matt Davis ever was standing tall in the pocket and finding secondary receivers-that's one of his greatest strengths-patience in the pocket. The 3 or 4 balls a game that sail on him AFTER standing tall in the pocket was his problem

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Baylor offers Charlie Brewer

Matt Clare ‏@MattClareRivals 4m
4 minutes ago

Matt Clare Retweeted Charlie Brewer
#Baylor offers Lake Travis QB and #SMU commit Charlie Brewer. @SicEmSports
Matt Clare added,

Charlie Brewer @CBrewer16
Blessed to have received an offer from Baylor University. #SicEm

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:22 pm

....and Cade Brewer

Cade Brewer
‏@CadeBrew10
Proud to say I received an offer from Baylor University. #SicEm

Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:13 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Riley Dodge was never going to play QB at Texas. How were those UNT teams BTW?

The point is that college recruiters/coaches know more than any of us and despite playing for the #1 team in the state Charlie Brewer garnered zero P5 offers and really no interest from P5 outside of a flirtation with Colorado this summer. I hope he's a great one and we're the smartest guys in the room and he's a huge success but it is pretty clear he has some work to do before he's ready to play at the college level. Redshirting would do him a tremendous amount of good.

Baylor has offered him so he has a P5 offer.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:31 am

Yep the most gutted D1A roster in the country offered Charlie.
StallionsModelT

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting