PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charlie Brewer Wins AP Texas (All Classes) Player of Year

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Charlie Brewer Wins AP Texas (All Classes) Player of Year

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:56 pm

This is in addition to 6A Offensive Player of the Year

BUT not Texas Top 100 according to Scout, Rivals or 247Sports. He's No. 185 Player in the State by 247Sports.com which uses a Composite score of all the services. He has decent size in comparison to other highly rated QBs, unequaled accuracy, throws a great deep ball, has a strong arm, runs about a 4.6 with excellent mobility. He's a Top 50 Player and has performed better than those 4 star QBs at Texas who are basically the same size. I think he's Colt Mccoy

Nonsense

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/coa ... JSdUqvgSO/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Charlie Brewer Wins AP Texas (All Classes) Player of Yea

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:58 pm

I think he's underrated too but he went to the same camps and combines that all the top kids went to and received a grand total of zero P5 offers. I've said it over and over and over again I don't care about Rivals/Scout ratings. I care about offers. Every major college program in the country hits Lake Travis hard in recruiting and not one P5 program saw fit to offer Charlie a scholarship. It isn't like he's playing at some 2A program out in the sticks.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:09 pm

QB offers to the Class of 2017 went out 10-12 months ago-first to offer and first to commit. They screwed up. Hopefully, UT will continue its tradition of picking the WRONG QB EVERY time and letting an All-American/Heisman right under their nose get away. It would be even funnier this time since he's from Austin and his grandfather, father and uncle played QB at UT and another brother played at TT and VT
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Charlie Brewer also selected as 1st Team All-State 6A QB as reported in Austin paper. Not even honorable mention for Ehrlinger (UT), but he was hurt most of season. No Cade Brewer either.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:08 pm

I agree that I think a lot of schools missed on Charlie Brewer but the fact remains that his offer list is Hawaii, UNT, SMU, etc. He plays for one of the most high profile high school programs in Texas and went to every camp under the sun the past two years. Either every P5 program was wrong or SMU was brilliant to get in on him early. I will say you can't put up those kind of numbers at the 6A level without being really talented. Will it translate? We'll see.
StallionsModelT

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:17 pm

Look at the athletes Herman recruited at OSU at QB and the way Ward played for him at Houston. Herman wants to find the next Vince Young, not the next major Applewhite or colt McCoy. A little taller Tyler Page with a little better arm would be more what he is looking for than Brewer.

Accuracy, athleticism and a great TD/INT ratio translate at the next level. That is what got Wilson and Prescott to the pros and helped them be successful once there. That good of accuracy, TD ratio, and athleticism displayed at the highest level in Texas HS football will absolutely transfer to the college level. This is a repeat of every coach in Texas passing on Drew Brees.

Look at how successful a litany of QBs from Lake Travis have been in college. And he has been way better than any of them were in high school. It is absolutely mind boggling and stupid that he isn't being recruited by big programs.

Of course, it could also be that he is such a hard commit to Morris that other schools aren't bothering with him. Don't write that off.
JasonB

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:22 pm

Interesting article in Austin paper about Lake Travis O-line saying they are one key to LT success this year. May be why Charlie's numbers are so spectacular. Just sayin'.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:27 pm

They ought to review tapes of the Katy defense in last year's 6A Championship-they were dominated-but that was perhaps the greatest Defense in THSFB History. I think they actually outscored their opponents in points surrendered with defensive scores

Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:31 am

JasonB wrote:Accuracy, athleticism and a great TD/INT ratio translate at the next level. That is what got Wilson and Prescott to the pros and helped them be successful once there. That good of accuracy, TD ratio, and athleticism displayed at the highest level in Texas HS football will absolutely transfer to the college level. This is a repeat of every coach in Texas passing on Drew Brees.

Was just going to say, please let him be our Drew Brees!
mustangxc

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:52 am

I'm glad that Charlie is enrolling early if for no other reason he will half a big head start on the strength and conditioning program. He's listed at around 190 but that seems very generous. He needs to put on about 10-15 pounds before he's ready to play. I think the same could've been said for Shane Buechelle. So many of these kids who want to play right away as true freshmen simply aren't physically ready to handle the college game.

I do wonder if part of what has hurt Charlie's perception among college coaches is the insane amount of skill talent that Lake Travis has. Maleek Barkley, Cade Green, Cade Brewer, and I think another wideout are all big time.
StallionsModelT

Postby birddogger » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:53 pm

The guy's a winner. And I bet he's motivated to prove himself. Glad he's on our side. Congrats and welcome Charlie!
birddogger
All-American

Postby longbuzzer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:43 pm

First half of the game against the Woodlands, and Charlie the Peruna looks great. It will be a long seven weeks sweating out his commit until signing day.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:46 pm

When can he officially sign since he is enrolling early?
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:49 pm

he could have signed Letter of Intent last Wednesday

Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:56 pm

SoCal_Pony

Next

Return to Recruiting