PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Linebackers!!!

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Linebackers!!!

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:57 pm

SMU needs to find a couple surprise JUCO LB recruits! Or recruit a couple out of High School. Also as I was looking at some poaching opportunities I noticed a Brenden Jaimes from Lake Travis. He was a 3star OL. I don't understand why SMU shouldn't be able to get him to follow the Brewers here. Looks like he is going to Nebraska. Anyway SMU needs to get some LB help in this class,
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Re: Linebackers!!!

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:05 pm

SMU targeted Brenden Jameis from Day 1 but he committed to Nebraska any way. BTW TCU offered him today. I kind of agree with on LB-I think we need more quality there but we are full on numbers. We do have probably 3 inside LBs that can really help next year in redshirt Noah Spears, medical redshirt Jordan Carmouche (if he moves from RB) and Jordan Ward. Some of those taller DBs recruited as the Star may grow into LBs too. Again, the rebuild on defense is 1 year behind because we emphasized offense so hard in Morris' first recruiting class. I think we will definitely see upgrades at LB next year but need to keep adding quality depth 3 or 4 deep like at RB, QB, WR, TE and DE. In my mind the biggest target area in the Class of 2018 needs to be a step up in QUALITY (not just numbers) at LB, CB and S. Another quality DT too. Would love to have some high 3 stars at those positions in 2018. Address those issues with top quality recruits and I see us strongly competing for Championships in 2019
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:15 pm

LBs please
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Ok, thanks for info on Brenden Jameis. I just found him on 247 Sports and it doesn't add up. He must have a special tie back to Nebraska. As far as LBs, I believe those type Athletes could help our ST in a hurry! Maybe the RS will help. I know Amie will help for sure.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Note on the 247 time line SMU was the first to offer after he went to an SMU camp with the 2 Brewers

http://247sports.com/Player/Brenden-Jai ... lineEvents
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:16 pm

Its our biggest weakness for sure. We will continue to struggle with the option from Navy until we can dominate them with some LB's. I would think a high rank guy could get some big promises on playing time day one.
gostangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Stallion wrote:SMU targeted Brenden Jameis from Day 1 but he committed to Nebraska any way. BTW TCU offered him today. I kind of agree with on LB-I think we need more quality there but we are full on numbers. We do have probably 3 inside LBs that can really help next year in redshirt Noah Spears, medical redshirt Jordan Carmouche (if he moves from RB) and Jordan Ward. Some of those taller DBs recruited as the Star may grow into LBs too. Again, the rebuild on defense is 1 year behind because we emphasized offense so hard in Morris' first recruiting class. I think we will definitely see upgrades at LB next year but need to keep adding quality depth 3 or 4 deep like at RB, QB, WR, TE and DE. In my mind the biggest target area in the Class of 2018 needs to be a step up in QUALITY (not just numbers) at LB, CB and S. Another quality DT too. Would love to have some high 3 stars at those positions in 2018. Address those issues with top quality recruits and I see us strongly competing for Championships in 2019

What about Myles Duke? Is he another RS FR who might compete for playing time at LB next year?
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:51 pm

Yeah I've just never seen him play much Defense as he was moved to WR as a High School Senior-I was extremely impressed with his athleticism-thought he might actually be a WR prospect-so I'll wait until I see him play Defense before commenting about whether he could help in 2017. But athleticism is promising

Stallion

Return to Recruiting