PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NSD Coming...

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NSD Coming...

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:08 pm

McQueen signing letter of intent early?!?

https://www.facebook.com/terrellisd/pos ... 4341770697
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Re: NSD Coming...

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm

mid-term enrollee

"Offensive Linebacker"--well that's very nice
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:34 pm

I want my linebackers to be as offensive as possible without drawing flags.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 pm

BTW in high school he ran for about 1500 yards as a Senior but also was a starter at LB. District MVP. But he's either going to be a Star or Safety at SMU
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Not to be a downer but I don't think he was going to get snagged by anyone given he's got the highest I saw of 2 stars and unranked in other places.

With out team recruiting ranking at:

Rivals: 74
247: 75
Scout: 83

It's hard to get excited about recruitment this year. I get that we were a 5-7 team, but you think we could have at least got a 4* recruit with Chad Morris at the helm.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Is this a joke? We have a four star offensive tackle committed (Alan Ali) and the majority of our commitments have P5 offers. We are also adding two Rivals 250 guys in Rafe Peavey and Trey Quinn that will be ready to roll in the fall. The reason our class rank is relatively low is that we are only taking about 16-17 guys. Our class is, pound for pound, just as good as last year. In certain positions we are way better. We are just taking fewer guys.
StallionsModelT

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:51 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Is this a joke? We have a four star offensive tackle committed (Alan Ali) and the majority of our commitments have P5 offers. We are also adding two Rivals 250 guys in Rafe Peavey and Trey Quinn that will be ready to roll in the fall. The reason our class rank is relatively low is that we are only taking about 16-17 guys. Our class is, pound for pound, just as good as last year. In certain positions we are way better. We are just taking fewer guys.

Do you know where the 4* is coming from? I checked the sites before posting so I'm thinking he got downgraded unless you see it somewhere else. While I understand that we have few guys giving us a lower overall points, it still looks like an average class especially with the brewers gone.

Now taking to your point on offers, and credit Stallion and whoever else, RankByOffers does improve our position a little bit with a national ranking of 65 in both overall "offer points" (4,729) and average "offer points" (295.59). From a conference ranking, we are position at 5 out of 11 (Navy wasn't in the data pull), which against isn't super flattering given that ECU and UCF are higher than us.

From an overall G5 conference perspective, at least the American looks good as the top 10 teams are: Houston (1), USF (2), UCF (3), ECU (6), SMU (7), Memphis (8) in the average points and overall metric.

Lastly, from overall "offer points" perspective by conference, SEC leads (256k), ACC (172k), Big 10 (167k), PAC (100k), Big 12 (85.7k) next drop off American (52k) next drop off CUSA (25k).

Still my point stands on this recruit and not really seeing the big hoo-rah! Then again, I'm sure someone will argue against it. Also as a disclosure, the data is updated as of 12/18/16.

The data still contained Cade Brewer who had 3 top 25 offers (598 points) and Charlie (211). So if anything we would go down closer to what the other websites were ranking us in the 70+ ranking spot.
Last edited by SMU_Alum11 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:56 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Is this a joke? We have a four star offensive tackle committed (Alan Ali) and the majority of our commitments have P5 offers. We are also adding two Rivals 250 guys in Rafe Peavey and Trey Quinn that will be ready to roll in the fall. The reason our class rank is relatively low is that we are only taking about 16-17 guys. Our class is, pound for pound, just as good as last year. In certain positions we are way better. We are just taking fewer guys.

Do you know where the 4* is coming from? I checked the sites before posting so I'm thinking he got downgraded unless you see it somewhere else. While I understand that we have few guys giving us a lower overall points, it still looks like an average class especially with the brewers gone.

Now taking to your point on offers, and credit Stallion and whoever else, RankByOffers does improve our position a little bit with a national ranking of 65 in both overall "offer points" (4,729) and average "offer points" (295.59). From a conference ranking, we are position at 5 out of 11 (Navy wasn't in the data pull), which against isn't super flattering given that ECU and UCF are higher than us.

From an overall G5 conference perspective, at least the American looks good as the top 10 teams are: Houston (1), USF (2), UCF (3), ECU (6), SMU (7), Memphis (8) in the average points and overall metric.

Lastly, from overall "offer points" perspective by conference, SEC leads (256k), ACC (172k), Big 10 (167k), PAC (100k), Big 12 (85.7k) next drop off American (52k) next drop off CUSA (25k).

Still my point stands on this recruit and not really seeing the big hoo-rah! Then again, I'm sure someone will argue against it.

Not taking sides but from a content perspective, pretty solid post 11
RGV Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Still my point stands on this recruit and not really seeing the big hoo-rah! Then again, I'm sure someone will argue against it.

Not taking sides but from a content perspective, pretty solid post 11

Appreciate it, I have my moments where I speak from a data perspective than just throwing out opinions. 8)
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Still incredibly flawed data.

There is no accounting for Rafe Peavey or Trey Quinn who would both be the #1 recruit of any AAC program from an offer perspective. There is also no accounting for D.J. Gillins who even as a JUCO recruit had offers from Auburn and Ole Miss. I'm sorry but the data just isn't representative of the totality of the guys we have coming in for next year.
StallionsModelT

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:04 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Still incredibly flawed data.

There is no accounting for Rafe Peavey or Trey Quinn who would both be the #1 recruit of any AAC program from an offer perspective. There is also no accounting for D.J. Gillins who even as a JUCO recruit had offers from Auburn and Ole Miss. I'm sorry but the data just isn't representative of the totality of the guys we have coming in for next year.

I think the class is good. Not trashing it. But every program gets transfers, and the sites don't include their transfers either.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:00 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Still incredibly flawed data.

Hey maybe those two guys will be huge and I think at QB and WR, we are pretty strong relative to a lot of programs but that doesn't mean the rest of team/positions aren't something to be potentially be worried about. Do I think CM recruiting class is better than JJ's, by a long shot. However, it doesn't seem it's big enough of a jump to make as competitive relative to P5 programs. Again, happy to be wrong but there's no data or anything un-bias to suggest I'm off the reservation.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Noteworthy-

Recruit announces commitment to a JUCO "without further or do". Good luck kid-I hope Its not "Much Ado about Nothing".

Stallion

Postby No Quarter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:08 pm

So far as Elijah McQueen is concerned the commitment list shows All-District honors as a junior. Was it not updated to reflect his last season on did he get hurt or what?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 pm

he was District MVP this year-had about 1400 yards rushing in addition to playing defense

Stallion

Next

Return to Recruiting