PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Trevor Denbow

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Trevor Denbow

Postby Webmaster » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Per my dad, who recently moved to Corsicana, TX:
"Good News from Corsicana for SMU! Trevor Denbow, high school All-American and good student, should make the starting lineup as a safety for the Ponies next year. His grandfather is Don Denbow, former SMU wide receiver and Corsicana's mayor."

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports ... 8b472.html

He was named to USA Today's American Family Insurance All-USA Team Wednesday.

Denbow, who played safety and receiver and also punted for the Tigers, earned the prestigious honor as an All-American on the USA Today's second-team defensive unit, one of only a handful of players named from across the nation.

“It's a great honor. He deserves it,'' said Corsicana Coach Steve Hoffman, who has had Denbow as his starting strong safety for four years. “He put in the hard work for four years. It's good for our young players to see what hard work does. Just look at all the accolades he has received."

Denbow took the honor in stride. He's always been quiet and reserved and humble about his accomplishments.

"I agree with Coach Hoffman,'' he said. "Hard work shows. Hard work pays off."

Denbow said he never expected to be named an All-American.

"It's not something I thought about and had at the top of my list,'' he said. "I don't think it will affect me. I will just keep doing what I'm doing (on the football field.)"

Denbow has not only had memorable moments on the field, but some spectacular moments, including a leaping one-handed catch in the end zone for a key interception and a leaping one-handed catch at midfield that he turned into a 65-yard touchdown, and a 53-yard TD catch in the in final minutes in Jacksonville that completed a 14-point fourth-quarter comeback in the district opener that ended with the Tigers winning in overtime.

“He was one of leaders and made so many big plays for us playing safety and wide receiver, and punting,'' Hoffman said.

"It's a honor to be an All-American. If anyone deserves it he does,'' Hoffman said. “He's an amazing athlete.”

Denbow was recently named the Class 5A first-team all-state punter on the Texas AP's All-State team and an honorable mention as a safety, making the all-state team at two positions.

He was named to the Texas Sports Writers Association first-team All-State team as a punter and was an honorable mention at safety on that team a year ago as a junior. This year's TSWA All-State team will be announced later.

But being named a USA Today All-American is the highest honor a high school football player can earn.

Denbow made 45 solo tackles and had 35 assists this season and helped lead the Tigers to the playoffs as a captain and team leader as well as being one of the top players at his position in the nation. Playing on the deepest part of the field, Denbow managed to make three tackles for losses. He had two interceptions, including a one-handed interception in the end zone, and broke up 15 passes.

He was named the District 17-5A Defensive Player of the Year.

He was also named to the All-District first-team at wide receiver and the All-District first-team at safety. He could have easily been the first-team punter as well. He had a 46-yard average and planted 14 punts inside the 10-yard line this season.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: Trevor Denbow

Postby BUS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Fantastc sign!!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoss » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 am

Hope he's as good as you make him sound.
Any idea why he went JUCO instead of straight to college?
Hoss
All-American

Postby jimhagle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:04 am

Webmaster wrote:Per my dad, who recently moved to Corsicana, TX:
"Good News from Corsicana for SMU! Trevor Denbow, high school All-American and good student, should make the starting lineup as a safety for the Ponies next year. His grandfather is Don Denbow, former SMU wide receiver and Corsicana's mayor."

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports ... 8b472.html

He was named to USA Today's American Family Insurance All-USA Team Wednesday.

Denbow, who played safety and receiver and also punted for the Tigers, earned the prestigious honor as an All-American on the USA Today's second-team defensive unit, one of only a handful of players named from across the nation.

“It's a great honor. He deserves it,'' said Corsicana Coach Steve Hoffman, who has had Denbow as his starting strong safety for four years. “He put in the hard work for four years. It's good for our young players to see what hard work does. Just look at all the accolades he has received."

Denbow took the honor in stride. He's always been quiet and reserved and humble about his accomplishments.

"I agree with Coach Hoffman,'' he said. "Hard work shows. Hard work pays off."

Denbow said he never expected to be named an All-American.

"It's not something I thought about and had at the top of my list,'' he said. "I don't think it will affect me. I will just keep doing what I'm doing (on the football field.)"

Denbow has not only had memorable moments on the field, but some spectacular moments, including a leaping one-handed catch in the end zone for a key interception and a leaping one-handed catch at midfield that he turned into a 65-yard touchdown, and a 53-yard TD catch in the in final minutes in Jacksonville that completed a 14-point fourth-quarter comeback in the district opener that ended with the Tigers winning in overtime.

“He was one of leaders and made so many big plays for us playing safety and wide receiver, and punting,'' Hoffman said.

"It's a honor to be an All-American. If anyone deserves it he does,'' Hoffman said. “He's an amazing athlete.”

Denbow was recently named the Class 5A first-team all-state punter on the Texas AP's All-State team and an honorable mention as a safety, making the all-state team at two positions.

He was named to the Texas Sports Writers Association first-team All-State team as a punter and was an honorable mention at safety on that team a year ago as a junior. This year's TSWA All-State team will be announced later.

But being named a USA Today All-American is the highest honor a high school football player can earn.

Denbow made 45 solo tackles and had 35 assists this season and helped lead the Tigers to the playoffs as a captain and team leader as well as being one of the top players at his position in the nation. Playing on the deepest part of the field, Denbow managed to make three tackles for losses. He had two interceptions, including a one-handed interception in the end zone, and broke up 15 passes.

He was named the District 17-5A Defensive Player of the Year.

He was also named to the All-District first-team at wide receiver and the All-District first-team at safety. He could have easily been the first-team punter as well. He had a 46-yard average and planted 14 punts inside the 10-yard line this season.

Donnie Denbow was also a heck of a baseball player for SMU too.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby northtexsmu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:29 pm

GOOD LB/SS speed at 4.5 40, vertical leap 38, 500lbs. squat
northtexsmu
Recruit

Postby northtexsmu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:16 pm

RIVALS 3*
northtexsmu
Recruit

Postby Webmaster » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:07 am

Hoss wrote:Hope he's as good as you make him sound.

No clue. But I’ll be down there sometime on Christmas, and I’ll ask.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Mustang1980 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:38 am

Denbow was recently named the Class 5A first-team all-state punter on the Texas AP's All-State team ...... He had a 46-yard average and planted 14 punts inside the 10-yard line this season.

Maybe the Aussie lad should limbering up his leg some more!!!
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 pm

One of our biggest needs for sure...
gostangs

Postby Webmaster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 am

jimhagle wrote:Donnie Denbow was also a heck of a baseball player for SMU too.

Apparently so. As I understand it, Don Sr. graduated from SMU, but had a year of eligibility left, and the plan was to move him from safety to WR to start opposite from Jerry Levias. But regrettably for the Mustangs, Mr. Denbow was drafted in the first round by the Dodgers, so he left school to play baseball.

His son (Don Jr., who I assume is Trevor's father) also played baseball. He was drafted by the Giants. Both Don Sr. and Jr. played for several years in the minors.

Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Webmaster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Hoss wrote:Hope he's as good as you make him sound.

All my information is coming third hand, so we'll hopefully get you a better answer once we have the opportunity to interview Trevor directly. According to my dad (and heavily paraphrasing), Trevor is a good student, but being a small town guy, he just wanted to get some college under his belt before taking the next step. From looking up Don Denbow Sr.'s baseball stats (above), I noticed that Don Jr. also went JUCO (Blinn) before getting drafted. So maybe that played a part as well.

Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 pm

This ain't rocket-science-he didn't get any offers

looks like he had a good freshman year at JUCO, is a good athlete whose video shows he excels in defending in space
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Those defending in space need to be with NASA. We need those who will defend next to a receiver. We already have plenty that defend space.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 pm

mrydel wrote:Those defending in space need to be with NASA. We need those who will defend next to a receiver. We already have plenty that defend space.

good point!
Charleston Pony

Postby sail420s » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:22 am

mrydel wrote:Those defending in space need to be with NASA. We need those who will defend next to a receiver. We already have plenty that defend space.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sail420s
Varsity

Return to Recruiting