PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

transfers and grad transfers

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

transfers and grad transfers

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:07 pm

seems like sonny is making much more effort to go after the transfers and grad transfers than coach morris ever did. (the trey quinn transfer is an outstanding exeption, but kind of thot he "followed" coach morris more than was recruited). generally, i guess more is known about how they have developed as college players and should be fewer "busts" than there are with hi school players, and the coach doesn't have to wait a year or two to realize that. the assumption here is that we were "depleted" talent wise after the tiki disaster, and might have benefited from some of those "developed" players.

its really a matter of strategy. discussion?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Re: transfers and grad transfers

Postby horsemanx » Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Agreed. Transfers didn't create enough of a full tilt boogie social media splash for Chad I imagine.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 pm

It's risky but in areas where you have youth it could be a good move, just depends on what you want to do. If you have a bunch of straight out of high school guys in positions where they need to redshirt and beef up (OL/DL), then transfers are good to fill the gaps. In other areas, I'd rather them get the experience if they are good enough (skill positions like CBs or WRs).

The biggest question is 'why are they transferring?' If they are second string junior defensive lineman at Alabama and just want to start somewhere and put some play on tape for the pros, then I take them all day long. If they have a major coaching change and don't fit the new coaching vision and their starting position is at risk at a school like LSU (ie Trey Quinn) where they got lots of good early playing time, then I take them. If they got stuck behind an All American at Tennessee, I take them. However, if they never got on the field at all for whatever reason and are about to be seniors at, say, a lower P5 or less, and are here for just one year, I'd question it. I like JUCOs in the defensive secondary and on the lines and a select number of transfers if they fit the above and in areas of immediate need (Nelson/Levingston/Denbow). I'm not a huge fan of GTs with one year of eligibility left unless emergency type filler (like the guy from TN last year).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue May 29, 2018 11:21 am

again, a lot of inaccurate BS being posted. SMU had 4 transfer starters last year plus a 5th later in the year

Trey Quinn
Raymond Epps
Will Hopkins
Mixon who got hurt and was replaced sometimes by ...
Tyeson Neals

Morris also recruited Richard Moore who will start this year
4 star QB transfers Rafe Peevey and D.J. Gillins were beaten out by his QB recruit Ben Hicks
He also had a trio of JUCOs scheduled to visit on the week he left
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 30, 2018 4:56 pm

I think Chad got a DL transfer from SC his 1st year here. I would agree he took those opportunities to fill weak spots in the roster when they were available, as would any coach worth his salt.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 am

June had success with one guy, Gilbert. He brought in about one per year, but the rest of the GTs didn't really perform well - they were backups for a reason at the schools they attended.

Chad came in and was much more active in the transfer market overall. Epps and Mixon were starters last year as GTs, I wish Mixon hadn't gotten hurt. And from a pure transfer perspective, he pulled in guys who had started at SEC schools in Quinn and Moore, ,or were significant recruits at other P5 schools (Peevey, Gillins). He didn't put as much focus on JUCO, but that was primarily because he was filling classes with HS players in order to build the relationships with HS coaches.

The new staff has more experience, and thus more connections nationwide. So they have more contacts for GTs overall. They also have a lot of connections at JUCOs.

I suspect that when the staff came in, they looked at the size of our players and the alarm bells sounded. So they grabbed a handful of JUCOs in their first signing period and started talking about a ton of GTs (up to 11).

They may have assumed that there would be a lot of attrition once the kids were thrust into the new weight program. Which didn't happen. Or maybe they thought that the kids couldn't carry the weight, but they saw better than expected results in the new program. Or they have just flat out missed on some candidates.

The truth is probably somewhere in-between, but when I look at the roster right now, I'd love to see 1-2 WR and a DT. We are relying on a lot of youth and inexperience at those two spots.
JasonB

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm

McNeal was fairly successful as a transfer.
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Great point. Miss that guy
ponyboy

Postby docabel » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:28 am

The Gunslinger, Bo Levi Mitchell, was a pretty good transfer. Unfortunately, that was a transfer in the wrong direction...
docabel
Heisman

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Kyle Padron had a solid career after transferring as well
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:37 pm

docabel wrote:The Gunslinger, Bo Levi Mitchell, was a pretty good transfer. Unfortunately, that was a transfer in the wrong direction...

We couldn’t stop Bo leaving
ponyboy

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 am

docabel wrote:The Gunslinger, Bo Levi Mitchell, was a pretty good transfer. Unfortunately, that was a transfer in the wrong direction...

Josh McCown has done pretty well after transferring to Sam Houston State with career earnings north of $32 million.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Dykes is just filling in the massive holes left by the lack of successful recruiting by Morris.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Dykes is just filling in the massive holes left by early departures to the NFL due to Morris’s success on offense.

FIFY

Put Courtland and Trey back on this team with Dykes offense - we’d all be licking our chops right now.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Jason B makes a good point. These GTs will let Dykes redshirt more HS linemen he recruited this year. Even if these guys are only 2nd or 3rd deep, it keeps some freshmen off the field in case of injuries. And if they can earn a starting position, so much the better. I imagine that every coach would love to redshirt all their freshmen linemen.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Return to Recruiting