PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Low number of committments

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Low number of committments

Postby JasonB » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:37 am

Not sure if this has been discussed...

But I think the low number of commitments we have right now is in order to give the 40+ walkons an opportunity to earn a scholarship.

I bet that during or immediately after the season, a handful will be put on a scholarship and then several others will transfer out with a recommendation that allows them to get a scholarship at a smaller program.

This combined with the fact that we are obviously set up to have a really good year and will attract higher level recruits than we would have previously explains the lower number of commits thus far this season.

Just a thought...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Low number of committments

Postby Pony81 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 pm

I think the coaches believe they have a good team and by year end will be in a much better place to recruit the high 3 star guys they really want. If we win 8+ games, we will have a rising program to sell to recruits.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:35 pm

I think you are right but I would also add that we don't know who might show up in the transfer portal. That change is a huge opportunity area, especially if most of the DFW "natives" find immediate success here.
Charleston Pony

Postby ojaipony » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:05 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I think you are right but I would also add that we don't know who might show up in the transfer portal. That change is a huge opportunity area, especially if most of the DFW "natives" find immediate success here.

As we build, we should rely less and less on that BUT for right now it's a gold mine for us. I'd hold maybe 5 spots for transfers like that. Especially for CBs (mental maturity is huge) and DT (physical maturity).
ojaipony

Return to Recruiting