PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Low number of committments

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Low number of committments

Postby The Falcon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Water Pony wrote:I have watched this site for a long time and our self loathing is a frequent theme by some.

However, I see more than a brighter future, based on Sonny and his vision for success. It is apparent that Sonny is committed to SMU for the long term, while he is effectively recruiting for Dallas' Division 1 and hometown team, SMU. He is genuine, talented and able to target the athletes, who have been unavailable to us for 30 years. BTW, he is a hell of a FB coach.

Well done, Sonny

Amen Water Pony. You are right about the self-loathing of some. Various programs at SMU,
especially Soccer and Football, and I would include BASKETBALL - are on the way up. I think
we have turned the corner. Sonny Dykes is for real and I agree with all of your praise for him.

I should also include progress in volleyball, equestrian, golf, and swimming & diving.
The Falcon
All-American

Re: Low number of committments

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:54 am

The Falcon wrote:
Water Pony wrote:I have watched this site for a long time and our self loathing is a frequent theme by some.

However, I see more than a brighter future, based on Sonny and his vision for success. It is apparent that Sonny is committed to SMU for the long term, while he is effectively recruiting for Dallas' Division 1 and hometown team, SMU. He is genuine, talented and able to target the athletes, who have been unavailable to us for 30 years. BTW, he is a hell of a FB coach.

Well done, Sonny

Amen Water Pony. You are right about the self-loathing of some. Various programs at SMU,
especially Soccer and Football, and I would include BASKETBALL - are on the way up. I think
we have turned the corner. Sonny Dykes is for real and I agree with all of your praise for him.

I should also include progress in volleyball, equestrian, golf, and swimming & diving.

I agree with all of this.

I think I have figured out what our recruiting pattern is going to be:

1) Only go after players you really like. Don't settle for less. 15 every year
2) Plug in any holes in the upper class roster with transfers - JUCO, GT, and normal transfers. This will slow to 5 or so every year.
3) Instead of filling in the class with two star "reaches", every year we are going to invite a ton of walkons. The walkons are essential to the program to provide a really strong scout team to practice against. That is why we come out strong every game - our scout team we practice against daily is awesome. I guarantee you we are holding a handful of scholarships in this class for the walkons that prove themselves. It is much more effective than taking a shot on a 2 star player. The rest of the walkons are either on academic scholarship or will receive some sort of recommendation when they transfer to another school. Then the pattern will repeat - a new slew of walkons will come in next season, and in the next recruiting class some scholarships will be held onto to provide to walkons that earn it.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Recruiting