PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Football Talent Level

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Football Talent Level

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Long time reader, first time poster...

SMU signed some good recruits yesterday. With those guys combined with the guys already on the team for next year, the team will have 18 of the highest 32-ranked players coming out of high school it has had since 2000, as rated by 247 Recruiting. So, of the 32 most talented players (in theory) since 2000, 18 will be on the team next year. Not bad.

7 of those 32 players transferred from other schools so that's where some of the talent is coming from as we know. And that source just may deepen the talent pool before next September.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Re: Football Talent Level

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:16 pm

I think the class looks great. I need to do my deeper dive compairing the offers.

The one thing I would keep in mind is that they are giving away 3 stars like candy this year. Almost every recruit shows up as a 3 star in 247. The composite ranking is a better indicator, but I am still worried that they will trend higher than historical classes because of the 3 star overload.

All that said, we are somewhere around 50 in average recruit ranking this year. Miles ahead of where we have been in the past. It would put us in the lower-middle tier of a P5 conference, but we have much more, higher rated transfers than those teams do. So, if you factor in the eventual transfers, the overall class might end up being upper-middle P5 quality.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:41 pm

JB, I agree with your points about 3-stars. I think the more reliable player rating is the numerical rating, like the 0.8893 247 Recruiting gives to Danny Gray. And that's what my 18 out of their best 32 players since 2000 numbers come from. Even that's no perfect science, but suggests are talent is definitely on the rise.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Composite ranking and P5 offers to me are the best indicators. Obviously you can't account for overrated duds and DITR.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:51 pm

dumb q here. what is P5?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Power 5 conferences: BigTen, Big12, SEC, ACC, PAC-10
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:40 pm

and how many aac teams do we estimate have upper middle p5 talent? my expectation/litmus test is to compete for aac championships. in fb and bball. is there an estimate for this in bball?

i would think upper middle p5 talent is what we need to do that in aac.

i know its a lot of questions, but thanks to any who will respond.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby leopold » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, and UCF all have mid to upper level P5 talent right now. Tulane, ECU and possibly Temple are making a push as well.

The good news is that the conference is getting better. The troubling news is that the conference is getting better.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:46 am

leopold wrote:Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, and UCF all have mid to upper level P5 talent right now. Tulane, ECU and possibly Temple are making a push as well.

The good news is that the conference is getting better. The troubling news is that the conference is getting better.

#P6
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Recruiting