PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sources: SMU rescinded offer from QB commit Raylen Sharpe

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sources: SMU rescinded offer from QB commit Raylen Sharpe

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:34 pm

SMU quarterback pledge Raylen Sharpe of Allen announced he had decommitment from the program after his offer was rescinded on Tuesday, per a source close to Sharpe.

This was a result of Sharpe declining to sign during the early signing period on Dec. 18, per another source close to the situation. The source told The Dallas Morning News that SMU expected Sharpe to sign in December, but he told the school he’d rather wait until national signing day in February.

SMU told Sharpe at that time that it couldn’t guarantee a spot for him in the 2020 class if he waited until February. The source said the football program was unsure if Sharpe was seriously committed to SMU. And as the Feb. 5 national signing day approached, SMU came to the conclusion that it didn’t have space for Sharpe in the class, the source said.

Sharpe told The News in December that he remained committed to SMU and planned to sign in February. He committed to SMU in June.

The source close to Sharpe said that Sharpe and his family reached out to SMU consistently since the early signing period to reaffirm the commitment.

A separate source close to the situation said SMU wasn’t sure if Sharpe wanted to sign with SMU in February.

SMU coach Sonny Dykes was asked on the Dec. 18 early signing day if he still considered his one unsigned commitment a part of the 2020 class.

“You keep recruiting him,” Dykes told The News. “And the big thing you want to do is just make sure that, you know, you want kids to sign when they’re comfortable signing. So we don’t ever really put a lot of pressure on them to sign in December.”

SMU is prohibited from speaking publicly about Sharpe because he’s an unsigned recruit.

There were two significant changes for SMU since the early signing period. The first was getting a commitment from four-star QB Preston Stone of Parish Episcopal. And second, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, Sharpe’s primary recruiter, left to take the same job at Miami.

Sharpe (5-8, 152) is also a competitive track athlete. He broke Allen’s 300-shuttle record and ran a 4.36 40-yard dash at a TCU camp in the offseason.

Sharpe had offers from Arizona, Air Force and Army, among others. It is unclear if those offers remain on the table with the Feb. 5 signing day nearing. Sharpe is still considering the option of running track in college, the source close to him said.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... -december/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: Sources: SMU rescinded offer from QB commit Raylen Sharp

Postby Timothythegreat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Yet another perfect example to illustrate for us why we should not get excited until the ink dries
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:56 pm

I didn't like this commitment anyway, can't be a D1 QB and not sure where else he would play for us with the depth we have at WR.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:44 pm

I kinda guessed this might be coming. Wonder if we didn't try to talk him into switching to the other side of the ball?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:57 pm

ponyboy wrote:I kinda guessed this might be coming. Wonder if we didn't try to talk him into switching to the other side of the ball?

Where on defense would any 5’8 player line up? He was a slot and kick returner for us, which is what he’ll be for anyone else. Too bad, could have used that speed.
gostangs

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:28 pm

He picked up an offer from Tarleton State today
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:43 pm

gostangs wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I kinda guessed this might be coming. Wonder if we didn't try to talk him into switching to the other side of the ball?

Where on defense would any 5’8 player line up? He was a slot and kick returner for us, which is what he’ll be for anyone else. Too bad, could have used that speed.

Have to figure that was the only way he was ever going to play at the DI-FBS level (slot and return guy). Does look like he's got good quickness and speed.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:43 am

He will have some quality options before all is said and done. He is worth a flyer because he does have a decent arm, and boy, if he does actually work out at QB you have a hell of a player.
JasonB

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 am

AfricanMustang wrote:commitment from four-star QB Preston Stone of Parish Episcopal

there ya go
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 am

Article said, class was full.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mavsrage311 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Pretty simple to me - if you are committed and don't sign during the early signing period, then you really aren't committed. This sets a good precedent for future recruits. I have no problem with cutting him loose at all.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Timothythegreat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:41 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:Pretty simple to me - if you are committed and don't sign during the early signing period, then you really aren't committed. This sets a good precedent for future recruits. I have no problem with cutting him loose at all.

So I guess we should also cut everybody else loose who did not sign during the early signing period. Good idea, let's completely gut this recruiting class on principle. Great precedent to set
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby mavsrage311 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi Timothy. He was the only one. Carry on...
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Timothythegreat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:Hi Timothy. He was the only one. Carry on...

The only one this year, maybe. Do you also not want all of the recruits that signed on national signing day in the past years? Maybe we should've cut all of them too and let them go to their second choices. After all, they weren't "Committed".

Fantastic precedent to set: Force a 17 or 18-year-old kid to make a choice they aren't quite ready to make yet or they lose their spot. I'm sure all of the high school coaches will become great advocates for the Dykes regime with tactics like that. And in any case I'm sure we would be a great trail blazer; there's probably a pretty good reason why nobody else does that. Sounds like a really good way to lose out on kids with P5 offers who want to hear what other coaches have to say. I'm sorry to bust your bubble, but SMU is not the hottest girl at the dance and if you want to pool people from big conferences to come play in a G5, there's a little bit of give-and-take because you don't have all of the leverage so as to be demanding that they prematurely jump the gun.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby Timothythegreat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:16 pm

And in any case, I'm not quite buying that he was cut from the class for not committing on early signing day six weeks after early signing day passed and national signing day is right around the corner. That math does not add up- if they cut him for not being all in, Why wait until now and why wasn't he replaced immediately with somebody who was if they have that much demand for the roster spots?
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Recruiting