PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Michael Ibukun-Okeyode

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Michael Ibukun-Okeyode

Postby redpony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:09 pm

ponyboy wrote:Help me understand what you would have done differently. We had Lashlee identified and hired before Dykes was announced at TCU. That’s unprecedented alacrity, as coaching searches go. Describe the problem. Perhaps I’m not understanding your point or points.

Thought that I had delineated them. For comparison- we have at best a skeleton coaching staff with nothing on the D side of the ball. There are no announcements or very few regarding new recruits etc. - Now, across the f-way our former coach ( who started his job at the same time) has basically a complete staff and is recruiting like crazy. Get the point? Same time frame drastically different results.

Our team needs a very very strong recruiting class to help fill the void left by graduation and theft. Do not think we will be able to fulfill all our needs via the portal.
Sorry if my 'do it today' aggressive attitude offends you I am just tired of the 'too little, too late' happenings that so frequently occur at SMU along with an admin who readily accepts mediocrity.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Come on Red. Dykes has a complete staff because he took ours. Take a nap and snore off some of your hate and see what happens. Lashlee was not going to be able to get a good staff together until after the season which ended yesterday. We are not going to have a good early signing period because of Dykes/Samples, not Lashlee. But the portal does give us hope for shoring up the team for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:55 am

redpony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Help me understand what you would have done differently. We had Lashlee identified and hired before Dykes was announced at TCU. That’s unprecedented alacrity, as coaching searches go. Describe the problem. Perhaps I’m not understanding your point or points.

Thought that I had delineated them. For comparison- we have at best a skeleton coaching staff with nothing on the D side of the ball. There are no announcements or very few regarding new recruits etc. - Now, across the f-way our former coach ( who started his job at the same time) has basically a complete staff and is recruiting like crazy. Get the point? Same time frame drastically different results.

Our team needs a very very strong recruiting class to help fill the void left by graduation and theft. Do not think we will be able to fulfill all our needs via the portal.
Sorry if my 'do it today' aggressive attitude offends you I am just tired of the 'too little, too late' happenings that so frequently occur at SMU along with an admin who readily accepts mediocrity.

TCU hired their coaching staff from a G5 and filled it up quick.

We are pulling our coaching staff from the P5. Specifically OU, SEC, and Miami. I would rather be in our situation.

Lashlee is waiting for his DC to clear the hiring situation at LSU. Once we hired the OC, the rest of the offensive staff has filled out pretty quickly. When he hires the DC, I am sure of the same. The exception was the OU DL coach, who is a recruiting rock star and you can't pass him up.

I'm quite happy with the hires so far. We have a Samples replacement, and I think have upgraded our recruiting ability at OC. We will see how it all pays off with this class coming in.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:47 am

That's really not a fair comparison. This staff has no chance to match or surpass Samples and company for the 2022 class. A fair way to compare the recruiting prowess is to compare the 2023 class and even more the 2024 class.
mustangxc

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:44 pm

TCU only got nine early signees which is about the same as SMU. They took 2-3 top players thanks to Samples moving over. The key will the Portal. Hope Lashlee and Team can win over more top Portal guys than TCU, Baylor or Tech.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUguy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:27 pm

tristatecoog wrote:TCU only got nine early signees which is about the same as SMU. They took 2-3 top players thanks to Samples moving over. The key will the Portal. Hope Lashlee and Team can win over more top Portal guys than TCU, Baylor or Tech.

Yup. "Transfer portal" might now be thre most important words in college sports.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Previous

Return to Recruiting