PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruits Jumping Ship

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Recruits Jumping Ship

Postby Smumba2009 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:31 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
geezerdonk wrote:Every single one of them should jump ship

Really?
Is that alcohol or frustration talking? Or both?
Recruits should be thrilled with Mr November Collapse?
Happy with Mr. Never won a bowl game at SMU?
Happy with Mr. Never won the Conference Championship?
Happy with Mr. Never even played in a Conference Championship game at SMU?
We are getting a young bright guy that we should be excited about.

Actually I have to agree with you. We need to hire an absolute positive step forward kind of guy and announce asap.
This ship isn't sinking, it's taking another step towards more success.
Coaches come and go....we need to quit being titty babies.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 pm

There are recruits who change their minds with most coaching changes. But when schools like TCU and Texas Tech lack any modicum of class and fire coaches mid-season and create a coaching carousel mid-season it becomes extra disruptive.

I suspect schools will need to band together in the off season to establish some rules around that, to effectively legislate decency that those schools lack left to their own devices.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby ponyup123456 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 pm

No reason to freak out. They are decommitting because our coaches are leaving. Very normal, hopefully a new coach will come in quickly and rebuild the class with kids that committed to him elsewhere. Rarely do kids commit to schools anymore. It’s the coach(es) that get them.
ponyup123456

Postby BUS » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:27 pm

Ok... I'm old.

I committed to a university.... not a coach... FYI... that changed. 83 grad.

Mustangs are strong.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:27 pm

Nothing set in stone but Lashlee looks like the hire that will come in immediately. Thankfully it seems both parties are ready to sign and we get a nice buyout from Sonny to play this last game. Smart not to get rid of him out of pride and capitalize those funds.

Recruits decommitting sucks but that's because like 90% of recruits, they commit to coaches not programs. Expect Miami to get something similar if everything goes as plan. It's just natural unless you have a recruiting class of legacies which never happens.

Let's just enjoy turkey, support the seniors, boo sonny and give an ovation to our next mercenary coach and hope we can keep Samps and Kaz. The good thing is Lashlee knows our attendance issues and still defended us against Sam Pansy Blum.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby orguy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:51 pm

All predicted. As said, the commitment by recruits is to a coach.

Glad to see Dykes gone frankly. It is the state of our program. Dykes defines "slick" and "fake".
Its doubtful longterm he would have been good for the program regardless. The NIL and transfer
portal success were temporary. Dykes failed at Cal and its likely he fails at TCU. All the B.S about
Dykes not being a good "cultural fit" in the Bay Area is just that. He failed as a coach and all that entails. Guy is definitely not ready for the Big 12 and its highly likely he falls flat on his face in
Cowtown. It will be a pleasure to watch albeit bittersweet.

Sadly SMU will not fire Hart. SMU will not fire Turner. Such is life on the Hilltop.

Time to move on. SMU football is what it is. Not all bad but far from what we could be. Sadly.
orguy
All-American

Postby Big Hoss » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:26 am

DC-Pony wrote:There are recruits who change their minds with most coaching changes. But when schools like TCU and Texas Tech lack any modicum of class and fire coaches mid-season and create a coaching carousel mid-season it becomes extra disruptive.

I suspect schools will need to band together in the off season to establish some rules around that, to effectively legislate decency that those schools lack left to their own devices.

I don’t think it has anything to do with class. I think it’s a change in tactics because of the early signing day in December nowadays.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:01 am

Right. Some schools have the class of controlling themselves and not fire their coach mid season despite the early signing period. Some schools do not.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby CBpony » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:17 pm

ponyup123456 wrote:No reason to freak out. They are decommitting because our coaches are leaving. Very normal, hopefully a new coach will come in quickly and rebuild the class with kids that committed to him elsewhere. Rarely do kids commit to schools anymore. It’s the coach(es) that get them.

The December signing period makes it really hard to rebuild a class. Whoever comes in will be well behind the curve and will have to hit the JUCO ranks hard
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:09 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:29 pm

I'd be in favor of an August 1 signing date. That would help eliminate the current in-season nonsense.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:32 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how bush league the sports world is - colleges and professional - when it comes to business and operational practices, compared to business world writ large.

Hearing about what Chad Morris and his assistants did - pillaging laptops and iPads and deleting all files from SMU servers is stunning. Those actions would draw law suits from employers from other industries, as all work product produced while working for an employer is the property of the employer.

With Rashad Samples orchestrating decommitments of SMU recruits WHILE SERVING AS AN SMU EMPLOYEE is even more stunning. This goes beyond a lack of ethics. It's a whole other thing to terminate employment, go to another school, and then try to recruit those players away. Even that in the past has led to coaches garnering a shady reputation. But, this is in a league of itself.

I appreciate everything Coach Samples has done during his time at SMU, but someone needs to coach him up before he irreparably damages his professional reputation with stunts like this.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 pm

And now another recruit has de committed… https://247sports.com/player/micheal-ib ... e-46098084
DC-Pony
Varsity

Previous

Return to Recruiting