PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QBs in transfer portal

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

QBs in transfer portal

Postby PonyPride » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:46 pm

With the reports circulating that Tanner Mordecai is transferring, perhaps to Wisconsin, that leaves SMU with three scholarship quarterbacks: Preston Stone, Kevin Jennings and incoming freshman Keldric Luster. Many have suggested that the Ponies might add a veteran through the transfer portal to fill out the depth chart.

A lot of passers have found new homes, and maybe this list already is obsolete if others have landed elsewhere, but these guys reportedly are still available:

Brennan Armstrong (Virginia)
Austin Aune (North Texas)
Hank Bachmeier (Boise State)
Connor Bazelak (Indiana)
Davis Brin (Tulsa)
Zach Calzada (Auburn)
Sam Hartman (Wake Forest)
Malik Hornsby (Arkansas)
Grayson McCall (Coastal Carolina)
Chance Nolan (Oregon State)
Chandler Rogers (UL Monroe)
Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma State)
Mike Wright (Vanderbilt)

Some — including Armstrong, Brin, Hartman, etc. — are proven starters.

Aune will turn 30 before the end of the 2023 season.

So ... who do you want to see on the Hilltop?

Who is a reasonable target?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

QBs in transfer portal

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:47 pm

I would love to see Hornsby but no way we get him. He wants to be the starter. He is fun to watch.

Also we do have the Pulaski Academy from Little Rock. He is not bad and I would think if we lost 3 QBs for the season that we might as well give up anyway
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Re: QBs in transfer portal

Postby Otto » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:48 pm

My first thought when reading this was to think about Stone, but he seemed to understand competing with Mordecai, so maybe he would embrace more competition. You want all QBs (or all players at any position) to want to start. But based on what we have seen, in admittedly small sample sizes, we have 2 returning QBs who hopefully could play long-term, if called upon.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:23 pm

I'm assuming most of those guys want to start and earn NIL money so I don't necessarily see them as backups to Stone. I think in Stone and Jennings we have a duo that can compete in the AAC. Coaches have a challenge finding QB depth if Stone and Jennings both get hurt
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:00 pm

Hopefully they can have some RPO plays for Jennings to run. With Lavine and all those talented speed backs, that could be lethal change of pace. Maybe Lashee can get Niumatolo’s playbook.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:30 pm

I wonder if we might be able to get someone like Aune. Someone looking for a good grad degree, knows he isn't going to the NFL. OK with playing as a backup to get that degree. I'd look for us to bring in someone who has been a solid backup who is looking for a good grad degree and is okay with being third string.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:08 pm

JasonB wrote:I wonder if we might be able to get someone like Aune. Someone looking for a good grad degree, knows he isn't going to the NFL. OK with playing as a backup to get that degree. I'd look for us to bring in someone who has been a solid backup who is looking for a good grad degree and is okay with being third string.

Agree. I was even thinking someone from a lower division school who might at least have playing experience
Charleston Pony

Return to Recruiting