PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

LB in the house for Houston game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: LB in the house for Houston game

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:36 pm

LB loves McDowell... and his reaction on his travel was funny. Just burried his hands in his arms
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Talked with him a second after the game Thursday at Bandito's. I have no doubt he misses this place and wishes he had a decision to make over again. But I saw him standing on a Ben Moore dunk tonight and like/want it or not, I think he deserves a standing O from the crowd and the folks around me were so hoping we would introduce him during a time-out. maybe next time.
78pony
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:09 am

Whether his agent or a personal decision I also wish LB with on the SMU bench for this season at least.

New Topic. Sorry for an ignorant question but when to DD prospects visit? Who has been seen on campus or in Moody this season?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 am

So great to have LB back in Moody these last two games. I get he doesn't want the attention but we have to recognize and honor him at some point. He gave us something many thought wasn't possible at SMU. I will forever be grateful.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jpe747 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 am

I wonder if there would be anything LB would take that would keep him involved in some other capacity other than head coach like Honorary Assistant Dean to the AD or Advisor to all Athletic Coaches and players (a made up desk job). That way he could still be involved but not too close to one program. I hate to see him miss out on the love.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:37 am

It wold be good for SMU publicity to have LB on staff in some capacity.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:14 am

LB is my coaching hero, love him, quote, him try to teach D like him, when I coach. That said, he was a biznnitches of the highest order w/the way he exited. He's the crypt keeper from Tales from the Crypt and wanted how many guaranteed years? Then, he and his agent get huffy b/c of APR clauses which matter, so he steps down morning after the Dallas shooting? Oh yeah, first weekend of the open July evaluation period. That's as reckless for a burgeoning program as hiring Snacks and Ulric, just saying.

Anyway, we should honor the old bastid, but we should also keep him arms length. It's Janks and his '17 class is the perfect example of how to be sustainable for the long haul. His style of play may be methodical right now, but it's still ways ore open. Wait till we get 10 kids in here and a few waterbugs.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:14 am

I like you're white gangster speak
One Trick Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 am

No Quarter wrote:New Topic. Sorry for an ignorant question but when to DD prospects visit? Who has been seen on campus or in Moody this season?

It's been SCOUTED pretty well. No shortage of visitors this season.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:23 am

SMU was foolish to get cute with Larry's contract. Coach Jankovich can obviously coach, but the question remains can he take us to the next level because his head coaching resume offers zero proof that he can.

This is a very crucial year for SMU basketball and Jank. We absolutely must make the NCAA tournament and we can't lose the first game. The good news is we have a team that can accomplish that. The bad news is we only have 6 guys that can bring it.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:26 am

We only have six guys primarily due to LB, and we would have most likely lost Jank had we given LB what he wanted. I think it has all worked out pretty well and I have always said and continue to say I will be first to donate to an LB statue if ever promoted.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:31 am

Last year the consensus was that the NCAA screwed us. This year its Larry's fault.

I truly hope that the gamble pays off because I have enjoyed the hell out of watching winning basketball at New Moody.
lollaperuna
All-American

LB in the house for Houston game

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:36 am

You do not think that LB lying to the NCAA had anything to do with the punishment? The penalty may have been too harsh but the reason was there.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:42 am

lollaperuna wrote:Last year the consensus was that the NCAA screwed us. This year its Larry's fault.

I truly hope that the gamble pays off because I have enjoyed the hell out of watching winning basketball at New Moody.

While it may be premature to say, we really do not have a reason to think otherwise at this point. Jank is 26-4 all while facing tough circumstances generated by LB. That being said we were able to get the Shake's, Semi's, and Whitt's of the world with LB. Can Jank and Co bring in that caliber either through recruiting or transfer. We won't know for a while since this recruiting cycle was bisected with the LB departure.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Jank has proven that he can coach the team that Larry built. I'm vey thankful for that and loved watching our defense dominate Houston on Saturday, but please put his SMU won loss record in perspective. I do however give him big kudos for getting things corrected after our less than stellar start this season. I have hope.
lollaperuna
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball