PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Transfer market

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Transfer market

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Many programs have reached out about both Semi and Gu. A few p5s even inquired about Jank and wanted to know if he'd bring those two w him. We've known the 5th years we thought we wanted since way before any of them formally decided to transfer. It's a spoken part of the recruiting landscape.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Crong » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Crong
Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:59 pm

I think the grad-transfers hurt the "small school cinderella's" more than the normal transfers. The normal transfers go both ways. They get alot of guys who cant quite cut it in the AAC, BE, A10, etc.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 pm

My position is that if they do what is expected of them by getting their degree on time-then they've earned the right to go to graduate school just like any other kid. I think its one of the greatest NCAA rules out there because it rewards the kids who have earned a degree. I'm happy to note that SMU Football/Basketball players appear to be pretty happy at SMU because this rule has worked in our favor in both sports
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:08 am

Stallion wrote:My position is that if they do what is expected of them by getting their degree on time-then they've earned the right to go to graduate school just like any other kid. I think its one of the greatest NCAA rules out there because it rewards the kids who have earned a degree. I'm happy to note that SMU Football/Basketball players appear to be pretty happy at SMU because this rule has worked in our favor in both sports

To be clear I am not anti grad-transfers, but I was just saying that I only think the gripe is really fair for small schools to make with GT's, since they are often built on gettin 1-2 regular transfers. I think Grad-transfer rule is great and should reward student-athletes who earn their degrees.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Rice's Marcus Evans to transfer after graduating in May. He's a guard which we don't need but the guy can flat out score and was one of the best players in C-USA last season. Many schools would love to have him for a season.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron.co ... 030694.php
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:36 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Rice's Marcus Evans to transfer after graduating in May. He's a guard which we don't need but the guy can flat out score and was one of the best players in C-USA last season. Many schools would love to have him for a season.

I bet he goes to VCU with his coach
CalallenStang

Postby ponyfan37 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:39 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Rice's Marcus Evans to transfer after graduating in May. He's a guard which we don't need but the guy can flat out score and was one of the best players in C-USA last season. Many schools would love to have him for a season.

I bet he goes to VCU with his coach

Yup and he is from Virginia.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby MFFL02 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Many programs have reached out about both Semi and Gu. A few p5s even inquired about Jank and wanted to know if he'd bring those two w him. We've known the 5th years we thought we wanted since way before any of them formally decided to transfer. It's a spoken part of the recruiting landscape.

LOL, Gu.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 pm

I added the most recent names i've seen to the grad-transfer list. Without any inside knowledge on guys so far the list is underwhelming. Long way to go, but no one that really stands out as someone we just HAVE to target.

Kanter and Whitman both have solid size and some numbers, but seem like average athletes and don't know how they are defensively. Would rather try and wait and find a guy who might be an average scorer, but is a real solid athlete, good rebounder and defender.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 am

Any thoughts on Duke Transfer Sean Obi?He is a grad transfer. I saw he did well at Rice, Transferred to Duke and then dealt with injury issues. He says he is healthy. I don't think he could give you the 35 minutes Ben played, but not sure what grad transfer really could. Definitely would add size down low
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 am

We should go for obi if he is interested. If he is healthy he could be the piece we need.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am

If the guy could eat up 20-25 minutes a game, I'd be perfectly content. Then allow the freshman bigs to get whatever big man playing time is left.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:03 pm

BleedSMUPride wrote:If the guy could eat up 20-25 minutes a game, I'd be perfectly content. Then allow the freshman bigs to get whatever big man playing time is left.

100% agree. Best name I have heard yet. Would want to look into his medicals, because he was injured at Duke. Don't know to what extent, because it could have been a minor tear, but K wasn't going to play him this season (he barely played Bolden and Giles). He averaged 11.4PPG and 9.3 PPG at Rice as a frosh.

He will be highly sought after. Seems to care about academics, which is good for us. Cant see him playing more than 25mins a game, but as mentioned that is fine. If healthy would give us a big body, good rebounder and likely solid defender in the post for 20ish mins a game.

Also, probably knows Semi, since they overlapped for half a season at Duke.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby leopold » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Here's an interesting one. Baylor guard who averaged almost 10 points a game is gonna be a grad transfer.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... final-year
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball