PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Full 2018-19 non-conference schedule released

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Full 2018-19 non-conference schedule released

Postby bubba pony » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Rick Hart was considered for AD of Kansas. Imagine he brought this type of schedule to that school. If you look at Kansas OOC games, they are not afraid to compete.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 pm

bubba pony wrote:Rick Hart was considered for AD of Kansas. Imagine he brought this type of schedule to that school. If you look at Kansas OOC games, they are not afraid to compete.

SMU improved its MBB program, but it has a long ways to go before it can be compared with Kansas.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby untitled » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:46 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
bubba pony wrote:Rick Hart was considered for AD of Kansas. Imagine he brought this type of schedule to that school. If you look at Kansas OOC games, they are not afraid to compete.

SMU improved its MBB program, but it has a long ways to go before it can be compared with Kansas.

untitled
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:17 pm

untitled wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

I miss Larry
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:This season SMU is bringing only one (scholarship) freshman (Feron Hunt) into the program.

I'm not sure how no one else caught this. SMU is bringing in three freshman on scholarship.
CJ White
Jahmar Young Jr
Feron Hunt
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
Cheesesteak wrote:This season SMU is bringing only one (scholarship) freshman (Feron Hunt) into the program.

I'm not sure how no one else caught this. SMU is bringing in three freshman on scholarship.
CJ White
Jahmar Young Jr
Feron Hunt

If Young was given a 'ship, that would make 12 on the roster and I thought we were limited to 11 until '19-'20. With 3 seniors on this year's squad and getting back to 13 'ships in '19-'20, we should have 4 more openings next year so maybe Young can earn one of those?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:

CJ White
Jahmar Young Jr
Feron Hunt

If Young was given a 'ship, that would make 12 on the roster and I thought we were limited to 11 until '19-'20. With 3 seniors on this year's squad and getting back to 13 'ships in '19-'20, we should have 4 more openings next year so maybe Young can earn one of those?

Young is on scholarship this year and he makes 11. McMurray, Hunt, Dixon, Douglas, Foster, White, Mike, Young, Ray, Chargois and Whitt.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DiamondM » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I don't like our schedule, but this is just a silly statement. Of course Kansas isn't "afraid" to compete. A couple of losses in non-conference is completely irrelevant to them. And it's easy to schedule against similarly situated Blue Bloods since there is no downside to Kentucky, Nova, or Michigan State playing Kansas. You think SMU turned down legit opportunities to play these folks? Were there tons of other schools in the 15-40 RPI range that were knocking with legit offers to play, let alone do home and homes, or even 2 for 1s? Not likely. Not to mention, every fall tournament wants Kansas, and they have built in marquis games in the Champions Classic and Big XII SEC Challenge every year. I would love to get an AAC Big East challenge, but I doubt that would happen. Big East is already sending 5-7 to the tourney each year so it's hard to see their incentive.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Donnell88 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:33 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Jank is such a scared sack of [deleted]. He must still think he's at Illinois State.

What an absolutely garbage schedule. Hello NIT!
In fairness to the coaching staff, I don't think a lot of teams want to play SMU.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 am

Donnell88 wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:Jank is such a scared sack of [deleted]. He must still think he's at Illinois State.

What an absolutely garbage schedule. Hello NIT!
In fairness to the coaching staff, I don't think a lot of teams want to play SMU.

In all fairness - I have a hard time believing that the following teams don't want to play SMU:

UT-Arlington
Texas State
LA Tech
UT-San Antonio

All of which would be better options than Southern Miss, Western Carolina, Cornell, Oral Roberts, McNeese State, Lamar
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 pm

I find it hard to believe Arkansas, which has in the past, and LSU would not do a H&H with us. I also believe OU would if pushed.

I really hoped we would try to get Gonzaga to do another H&H. That worked well for both schools in my opinion.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Maybe our non-conference schedule is optimized to maximize our NET ranking.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 pm

PonyTime wrote:
In all fairness - I have a hard time believing that the following teams don't want to play SMU:

UT-Arlington
Texas State
LA Tech
UT-San Antonio

All of which would be better options than Southern Miss, Western Carolina, Cornell, Oral Roberts, McNeese State, Lamar

The real question is who will play us without demanding a home/home deal. I wonder how many of the above are getting return visits?
Charleston Pony

Postby smupony94 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

UT-Arlington
Texas State
LA Tech
UT-San Antonio

The real question is who will play us without demanding a home/home deal. I wonder how many of the above are getting return visits?

Some major programs wanted our home game to be at the AAC and then play at their home
smupony94

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:16 am

Major programs don't want to play in Moody any more than they want to play at a place like Gonzaga. They have seen what happened to others since the Moody remodel.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball