PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nice pickup

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nice pickup

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Just got a 114% commitment for Alex Anamekwe from McKinney. Other offers included Texas Tech and Bama.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Nice pickup

Postby PonyPride » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Forward
6-6 / 195
Reports offers from Alabama, North Texas, Oral Roberts, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Utah State
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:59 am

Game starts about 3 minutes in.

Anamekwe is No. 14 in blue.

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby mustangxc » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am

I don't know how good he is but apparently he has Trae Young's approval.

https://twitter.com/TheTraeYoung/status ... 1350114309
mustangxc

Postby indianmustang » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am

mustangxc wrote:I don't know how good he is but apparently he has Trae Young's approval.

https://twitter.com/TheTraeYoung/status ... 1350114309

he is part of Team Trae Young
@teamtraeyoungmb
Home of the Team Trae Young Boys Basketball Program. Adidas only 3SSB sponsored program in Oklahoma! 3SSB
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:31 pm

Hopefully Anamakwe & Gibson (if we could get him) will both be good additions to next year's roster. With all the graduating seniors on this year's team, there is plenty of room for 6'6" guard/forward types to get into the rotation
Charleston Pony

Postby Huzz » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:25 pm

I’ve actually coached Alex & you won’t find a better young man. He’s very quiet & soft spoken until he gets on the court. He’s a monster on the court. Alex is an athletic freak & has a giant wingspan. Watching what he’s done in HS is very impressive but you wont get the full pic. He plays with several outstanding guards so he’s asked to do certain things that don’t show up on the stats. He’s the returning defensive MVP in a very tough district, a great O & D rebounder, basically has to play more of a big man role which he has done an outstanding job at. You really get the full picture & see his all around skills when he’s playing in the AAU circuit. He’s expanded his outside j range, plays fantastic d, great rebounder, & totally sells out in the effort category. He plays HARDER than any kid I’ve been around & u will love him. Get ready for some serious Feron Hunt type dunks because Alex can throw it down. I’ve been a SMU fan for a long long time & I can’t recall any player that combines both the athleticism & the effort on the court that you will see from Alex. Great pickup & so excited for him.
Last edited by Huzz on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huzz

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:29 pm

Huzz wrote:I’ve actually coached Alex & you won’t find a better young man. He’s very quiet & soft spoken until he gets on the court. He’s a monster on the court. Alex is an athletic freak & has a giant wingspan. Watching what he’s done in HS is very impressive but you wont get the full pic. He plays with several outstanding guards so he’s asked to do certain things that don’t show up on the stats. He’s the returning defensive MVP in a very tough district, a great O & D rebounder, basically has to play more of a big man role which he has done an outstanding job at. You really get the full picture & see his all around skills when he’s playing in the AAU circuit. He’s expanded his outside j range, plays fantastic d, great rebounder, & totally sells out in the effort category. He plays HARDER than any kid I’ve been around & u will love him. Get ready for some serious Freon Hunt type dunks because Alex can throw it down. I’ve been a SMU fan for a long long time & I can’t recall any player that combines both the athleticism & the effort on the court that you will see from Alex. Great pickup & so excited for him.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like we got a good player!
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:46 pm

Huzz wrote:I’ve actually coached Alex & you won’t find a better young man. He’s very quiet & soft spoken until he gets on the court. He’s a monster on the court. Alex is an athletic freak & has a giant wingspan. Watching what he’s done in HS is very impressive but you wont get the full pic. He plays with several outstanding guards so he’s asked to do certain things that don’t show up on the stats. He’s the returning defensive MVP in a very tough district, a great O & D rebounder, basically has to play more of a big man role which he has done an outstanding job at. You really get the full picture & see his all around skills when he’s playing in the AAU circuit. He’s expanded his outside j range, plays fantastic d, great rebounder, & totally sells out in the effort category. He plays HARDER than any kid I’ve been around & u will love him. Get ready for some serious Freon Hunt type dunks because Alex can throw it down. I’ve been a SMU fan for a long long time & I can’t recall any player that combines both the athleticism & the effort on the court that you will see from Alex. Great pickup & so excited for him.

Sounds great! I can't wait to see how he develops under Coach Jankovich!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 pm

Huzz wrote:I’ve actually coached Alex & you won’t find a better young man. He’s very quiet & soft spoken until he gets on the court. He’s a monster on the court. Alex is an athletic freak & has a giant wingspan. Watching what he’s done in HS is very impressive but you wont get the full pic. He plays with several outstanding guards so he’s asked to do certain things that don’t show up on the stats. He’s the returning defensive MVP in a very tough district, a great O & D rebounder, basically has to play more of a big man role which he has done an outstanding job at. You really get the full picture & see his all around skills when he’s playing in the AAU circuit. He’s expanded his outside j range, plays fantastic d, great rebounder, & totally sells out in the effort category. He plays HARDER than any kid I’ve been around & u will love him. Get ready for some serious Feron Hunt type dunks because Alex can throw it down. I’ve been a SMU fan for a long long time & I can’t recall any player that combines both the athleticism & the effort on the court that you will see from Alex. Great pickup & so excited for him.

Thanks for the input. What do you see as his natural position at the collegiate level?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:51 pm

Huzz wrote:I’ve actually coached Alex & you won’t find a better young man. He’s very quiet & soft spoken until he gets on the court. He’s a monster on the court. Alex is an athletic freak & has a giant wingspan. Watching what he’s done in HS is very impressive but you wont get the full pic. He plays with several outstanding guards so he’s asked to do certain things that don’t show up on the stats. He’s the returning defensive MVP in a very tough district, a great O & D rebounder, basically has to play more of a big man role which he has done an outstanding job at. You really get the full picture & see his all around skills when he’s playing in the AAU circuit. He’s expanded his outside j range, plays fantastic d, great rebounder, & totally sells out in the effort category. He plays HARDER than any kid I’ve been around & u will love him. Get ready for some serious Feron Hunt type dunks because Alex can throw it down. I’ve been a SMU fan for a long long time & I can’t recall any player that combines both the athleticism & the effort on the court that you will see from Alex. Great pickup & so excited for him.

Love hearing this from a guy who has actually coached him. Hope you are right about him bringing some "serious Feron Hunt type dunks" as Moody needs more excitement, not to mention great D and rebounding because that is going to be needed.
Charleston Pony

Postby Huzz » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:

Thanks for the input. What do you see as his natural position at the collegiate level?

I think Alex will be a wing type player. But he is very flexible, especially on D. He's quick & athletic enough to guard a 1, & big & strong enough to guard a 4-5 type. He has a 7'1" wingspan & plays bigger than 6'6". He allows his HS team's guards to pressure the ball & he's there as the back defense. In AAU he guards everyone & anyone.
Huzz

Return to Basketball