PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Season Preview

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Season Preview

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:27 pm

More important than ever for this year's team to beat Cincy and UCF and to at least compete with Houston. I'd like to think we have a roster that will be capable, especially if fans will return to Moody with some enthusiasm
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:38 pm

I think that train has already left the station. For the last several years we needed to change coaches and get a real one. This is what happens when you don't step up and you don't care what happens to the program. Plus we had a mental hernia forcing re-seats and driving away our once loyal fan base. and now we think it is time to do something?? really??
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:23 am

Can't wait for November to get the season started. If the newcomers are what we are hoping they will be and team chemistry is as good as what the early reports are, this could really be a fun season.

https://smumustangs.com/news/2021/10/17 ... hoops.aspx
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:01 am

Yeah, I’m intrigued for sure. Season opens three weeks from tomorrow.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 am

I really hope we can make it back to the NCAA tournament and win a couple games there! We have the roster to get it done, now we need to execute. This is our best chance in the last few years and going forward.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:02 am

FWIW… I don’t expect that I'll miss a single guy who transferred out this past year.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:26 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Can't wait for November to get the season started. If the newcomers are what we are hoping they will be and team chemistry is as good as what the early reports are, this could really be a fun season.

https://smumustangs.com/news/2021/10/17 ... hoops.aspx

Jank tends to have the same quotes coming out every year.

That said, I think last year's team was a challenge for multiple reasons:
- Jolly clearly wasn't Jolly
- Hunt didn't grow physically, wasn't a good shooter. Great athlete, but had the offensive game of a 4 and a defensive game of a 2-3. Tough to place.
- Ethan was a 5 athletically but a 3/4 offensively. Could cause matchup issues but a hard fit defensively.

This team needs time to gel. But it is a much, much better team overall, and a much easier team to coach.

Nutall is a scoring guard who will play next to Davis, and is the best fit we have had next to Davis. He is a more consistent scorer than Jolly was. He is an upgrade at that position.

Phelps will give us depth behind them at guard. Phelps is Shake, maybe a little worse shooter coming in, but a better driver and better defensive player as a frosh.

I think Band and Michael Weathers will play the 3 in a 3 guard lineup. Both have length for their size and are slashing types of players that will provide movement off the ball around the two other guards. I know the attention is on Marcus, but don't sleep on Michael. He can't shoot the three, but he can get to the basket and averaged 9 points in 20 minutes a game at OK State a couple years ago. Band is a better shooter, so that rotation will be interesting.

Marcus Weathers is the most complete starting 4 we have had here in a while.

Clark/Jasey/Young is a very solid 3 headed monster in the post. If Clark is healthy, he is going to be a plus player in the league.

I think we lack depth at the 4, which might cause us to run very small at times. Jank experimented with some double post last year, and we might see that again. The health of Clark is going to be really important.

Overall, I think the team will be the best team we have had in quite a while. We have a lot of scorers, but we lack elite shooters, which is going to bite us against teams that slow it down and play good defense. If Kendric, Nutall and Band can shoot 3's at 40% this is a great team. But I think this should be a better defensive team that can score enough on offense to cause problems and will finish 3rd in the league, good enough for an NCAA berth (albeit an early exit). If Clark is really healthy and Kendric, Nutall, and Band shoot well, and we have a good backup at the 4, this is a sweet 16 team. But expecting those guys to shoot that much better is a stretch.
JasonB

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am

unfortunately they will probably win enough that our mental hernia of an AD will extend trash-o-vichs contract, if he hasn't already (and kept it secret).

A substandard bball program and lack of supporters to get a decent coach is a strong reason why we likely won't be in the next P5 expansion.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:52 pm

Saving this post and re-blocking you. We shall see how your prognosis pans out.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:54 pm

If we get the Clark from before his injury, we’ve got an all conference level guy. I’m pumped about this team.
ponyboy

Postby geezerdonk » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:11 pm

A substandard bball program and lack of supporters to get a decent coach is a strong reason why there is no chance in hell that SMU will be in the next or any future P5 expansion. Fixed it for you.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:20 pm

ponyboy wrote:Saving this post and re-blocking you. We shall see how your prognosis pans out.

not surprised. seldom are you objective in your analysis.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:08 pm

redpony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Saving this post and re-blocking you. We shall see how your prognosis pans out.

not surprised. seldom are you objective in your analysis.

But you aren't biased and full of hate for Turner and Hart. Not much. And you've already declared you won't support the program because we aren't P5 worthy, so why bother to hang around? The "entitlement" attitude of so many SMU fans never ceases to disappoint me. I've been accused of being negative but prefer to think I'm just realistic. You (and several others) are quick to bash the administration and the few wealthy donors trying to keep SMU relevant, but I don't see much in the way of constructive criticism. How exactly would you propose to make SMU so attractive that all the P5 conferences will be lining up to invite us to their party?
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:03 pm

K.D. at # 25 on this list of Top 100 college hoopsters. AAC well represented on this list, including 4 Memphis Tigers. Think there are might be some high expectations in Memphis?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 22-season/
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:15 pm

One thing’s for sure: we got a helluva point guard.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball