PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mountain West teams in the NCAA

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mountain West teams in the NCAA

Postby Caballo » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:47 pm

I only realized last evening that they put FOUR Mountain West teams in the tournament; San Diego State, Wyoming, Boise State, and Colorado State. I cannot believe that they put twice as many teams in the dance as the AAC. I admittedly did not watch one Mountain West BB game this year, and have no idea what their NET rankings were, but that conference has never been a hotbed of basketball talent other than SDSU in the past under Fisher.

Wyoming was beaten by a crappy Indiana team and now Colorado State has lost (got blown out) to an equally terrible Michigan team. Wonder if the Big 10 powers that be just advocated for the MW entries so that they could be Big 10 whipping boys? Hmmmm
Caballo
All-American

Re: Mountain West teams in the NCAA

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:10 pm

SMU's NET was superior to Wyoming. They stole our bid.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:40 pm

And 3 of the 4 have already been bounced, including 6 seed Colorado State.

The MWC is 0-3 before most have even had a chance to print their bracket. Will be a Conference crash and burn of epic proportions if San Diego goes down to Creighton tonight.

Would love to see it!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Sewanee Stang » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:23 pm

The Mountain West is in the same predicament that the American is in. It's tough to get respect. I view them as a peer league and will generally root for them against any team from the Cartel leagues.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:29 pm

Sewanee Stang wrote:The Mountain West is in the same predicament that the American is in. It's tough to get respect. I view them as a peer league and will generally root for them against any team from the Cartel leagues.

That they're in the same predicament is precisely why I absolutely do not root for them. They're simply a competitor for scarce resources. And their league is full of schools that bolted on SMU and the WAC 16 in a way that was at least as shady as UT back in the SWC end days.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 pm

MWC...0-4.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Arkpony » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:30 pm

All MWC teams are out
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:50 pm

The MWC, Big Ten, and Big East are all vastly overrated and got way too many bids. UConn is the same old UConn they were in the American. They simply get credit for beating 0-18 Georgetown whereas beating a decent Tulane gets you laughed at.
mustangxc

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am

Simply comes down to appearance. MWC and Big East have sold out, big arenas. AAC is arguably a MUCH better conference than the MWC...but the visual of 85% of the AAC teams playing in empty arenas takes a toll on the common fan. Especially on the selection committee when they tune in to check the AAC teams out. People forget Houston was in the final 4 last year. No respect for the conference. Just a bunch of commuter schools with limited basketball history and empty arenas. Selection committee sees $$$ over anything.
Pony ^

Return to Basketball