PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB @ Texas A&M

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

MBB @ Texas A&M

Postby geezerdonk » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm

Odigie is a blazing train wreck dumpster fire. It appears that he has been coached to do the following:
When you get the ball in the offensive zone squeeze it real hard and hold on tight. In the defensive zone, you are in charge of keeping track of the opponents' layups. Watch carefully and prepare a tally at the end of the game.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

MBB @ Texas A&M

Postby geezerdonk » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:35 pm

A&M just ain't that good. A very mediocre Colorado team hung 103 on them winning by 28.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Re: MBB @ Texas A&M

Postby HorsePower » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:50 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Looks to me like this team and program is worse off than it was under Jank. We ran off K.D. & Bandoumel with the coaching change. Bring those guys back along with Phelps, Todorovic and if Williamson comes back home via the portal, that's a pretty solid group with just big men needed. Surely Jank could have done as well or better than Lanier in terms of the bigs he was able to bring in via the portal. Also might have retained the 2 H.S. recruits. Anamekwe might become a player at this level.

Yup. Those 24 wins last year look pretty good now. I'm not even close giving up on Lanier after 7 games, and I'll be at Moody Saturday. But the uphill climb facing this team is long and steep.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:33 am

HorsePower wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Looks to me like this team and program is worse off than it was under Jank. We ran off K.D. & Bandoumel with the coaching change. Bring those guys back along with Phelps, Todorovic and if Williamson comes back home via the portal, that's a pretty solid group with just big men needed. Surely Jank could have done as well or better than Lanier in terms of the bigs he was able to bring in via the portal. Also might have retained the 2 H.S. recruits. Anamekwe might become a player at this level.

Yup. Those 24 wins last year look pretty good now. I'm not even close giving up on Lanier after 7 games, and I'll be at Moody Saturday. But the uphill climb facing this team is long and steep.

SMU was 23-8 last year and still couldn’t secure an NCAA tourney bid.

SMU maybe wins 10 games this year.

As good as KD was, nobody will convince me that having him on THIS team THIS season would have meant an NCAA tourney appearance. I wonder if they even make NIT.

MAYBE, just MAYBE, KD came to the same conclusion and decided he would bail on SMU regardless of who our HC was. So IMO, there is no guarantee KD stays if Jank stays.

yet keeping Jank this season would mean another contract extension….one that apparently SMU is unwilling to buyout early.

No Thanks
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:51 pm

Prediction - it will be mid-February before SMU MBB passes SMU FB in wins this season.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:56 pm

I think we’ll see vast improvements as this season progresses.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:14 pm

I'm not comparing to Jank. Jank fell into the Weathers brothers and Clark las season, which saved us last year, but it accelerated the roster issue this season.

I was really worried about talent evaluation with Odigie, but he was clearly brought in to be a place holder for this season.

Lanier's success here is going to be determined by whether Koulibali, Wright, Williamson, Njie, Hylton, and Foster develop over the rest of this season and going into next year. Most of those guys show potential.

The initial steps to watch are going to be when Njie and/or Foster push past Frank in the rotation. Frank is doing a great job with effort and playing physical, which is really important because it is going to push those other guys to improve quicker instead of just be handed minutes by default.

Same thing with Emory. He is clearly limited athletically, but he is doing his job being in the right spots on defense and playing physically. His job is to push Koulibali and Wright until they show that they actually deserve to be in the rotation.

Frankly, I think the Paul Quinn game showed Lanier that if he just played the talented guys, it would result in a million turnovers and easy transition baskets. So he is forcing players to earn their time, which will be better for us in the long run.

Once Frank and Emory are out of the rotation, then it becomes a question of who can displace a starter.

I'm sure the staff was hoping the transition would have happened by now, so that you have a rebuilt rotation going into the Hawaii tournament. The team just isn't there yet. And I have no problem with him wanting Foster, Njie, Koulibali and Wright to show smart play on both ends of the court before he plays them in the games. He is trying to force the team to get to where he wants them to be before we get into conference season. I'm more disappointed in those players for not forcing their way into the rotation than I am in coach Lanier, because Emory and Frank shouldn't be getting minutes with this group.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:05 pm

Jason, my response was for those pining for Jank. I’m not one of them.

As for this team, simply question.

Our goal should be a Top 30 team that competes for Conference Championships, can make the NCAA tourney and actually have some success there.

What player(s) on this roster can play key roles in us achieving that goal?

My bet is 3 at most, probably less.

That means this year is a big waste and that improvement will come more from churn than development.
SoCal_Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:49 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Jason, my response was for those pining for Jank. I’m not one of them.

Our goal should be a Top 30 team that competes for Conference Championships, can make the NCAA tourney and actually have some success there.

That means this year is a big waste and that improvement will come more from churn than development.

I agree with your goal. And I agree you need three key guys. Phelps, Foster, and Williamson are probably most likely from the group. But I also don't think we would have brought in younger transfers like Koulibali, Wright, and Njie if they didn't think they had potential to develop into key players. They wouldn't have wanted to waste the roster spots.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:39 am

JasonB wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:Jason, my response was for those pining for Jank. I’m not one of them.

I agree with your goal. And I agree you need three key guys. Phelps, Foster, and Williamson are probably most likely from the group. But I also don't think we would have brought in younger transfers like Koulibali, Wright, and Njie if they didn't think they had potential to develop into key players. They wouldn't have wanted to waste the roster spots.

Good news is on the horizon. We will soon play in a conference where the only real competition is Memphis. Once they go on probation again or leave for a better conference we will have a clear path to the conference championship game every year vs Temple. It will be as if we were in the Big Sky or Southland conference with a chance at a 15 seed every couple of years! Coaching staff just needs to recruit well enough to beat Tulane, Tulsa and Wichita - the rest is gravy.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:24 pm

PonyTime wrote:Good news is on the horizon. We will soon play in a conference where the only real competition is Memphis. Once they go on probation again or leave for a better conference we will have a clear path to the conference championship game every year vs Temple. It will be as if we were in the Big Sky or Southland conference with a chance at a 15 seed every couple of years! Coaching staff just needs to recruit well enough to beat Tulane, Tulsa and Wichita - the rest is gravy.

At least you acknowledge the fact that Wichita State, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa will be challenging but don't sleep on UAB and UNT who have both developed pretty competitive hoops programs. I would not overlook Charlotte as their program has a decent history and coming into the American will help them recruit a higher level of player. My guess is they will feast on ACC transfers
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball