PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I Thought We Were After a Splash Hire?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I Thought We Were After a Splash Hire?

Postby GHammond » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:17 am

If rumors persist…Enfield not a splash hire, even though SMU has a bit of “USC Envy” - does have a hot wife. Wade, Lutz - no. Shaka is a splash hire..Jay Wright is a splash hire…Pearl is a splash hire…Mussleman they say is VERY hard to deal with, play for, and work for - no thanks. Hoping we do something special. Long Live Gene Phillips.
GHammond
Varsity

Re: I Thought We Were After a Splash Hire?

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:22 am

Enfield would be a step up, but I agree, not splash. Probably the best we can hope for this stage.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Otto » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:05 pm

A lot of SC fans would be thrilled if we hired Enfield. The masses are growing restless with him in L.A.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby highlander » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:15 pm

I posted this on another thread:

Just look at our recent coaching hires:

John Shumate: ZERO NCAA tourney appearances before we hired him.
Mike Dement: ONE NCAA tourney appearance before we hired him.
Matt Doherty: ONE NCAA tourney appearance before we hired him. That was a fantastic UNC team that he inherited.
Larry Brown: One of the greatest coaches ever
Tim Jankovich: ZERO NCAA tourney appearances before we hired him.
Rob Lanier: TWO NCAA tourney appearances before we hired him.
Andy Enfield (?): SIX NCAA tourney appearances before we hired him.

So this guy has two MORE tourney appearances than 5 of our last 6 coaches COMBINED.

We can do a lot worse.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:10 pm

In Miller We Trust
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

I think this is a great hire,

Although, the term P2 is mostly relegated to football, we just got a coach that was heading off to the BIG10.

You have to believe that when we fired Lanier, this hire was already set in stone and the very capable money men of SMU behind the scenes knew this is who we wanted.

Of course, Rice with Lanier will probably win the AAC tourney next year and be dancing while we struggle to finish high enough in the ACC to just barely make the cut for the conference tournament.

But long term, this makes sense. Hopefully we give him a chance and not can him after two years...
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

From what I see in the blogosphere/twitterverse the outside world sees this as more of a "splash" than many of our fans. We sometimes forget that SMU sports have been an afterthought to most sports fans nationally. I am seeing a lot of people nationally with the perception that SMU is not only headed to the ACC but that we have enticed away a Big 10 coach from a glamor school to go with us. Dallas beats out LA for a guy whose job was not on the line.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby highlander » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

shadowman wrote:I think this is a great hire,

Although, the term P2 is mostly relegated to football, we just got a coach that was heading off to the BIG10.

You have to believe that when we fired Lanier, this hire was already set in stone and the very capable money men of SMU behind the scenes knew this is who we wanted.

Of course, Rice with Lanier will probably win the AAC tourney next year and be dancing while we struggle to finish high enough in the ACC to just barely make the cut for the conference tournament.

But long term, this makes sense. Hopefully we give him a chance and not can him after two years...

Enfield will not get the quick hook the way Lanier did. Lanier was just a victim of circumstance. He would have outlasted Jank in terms of tenure if we had not moved to the ACC, and almost certainly would have been more successful. We just can't begin the ACC era with a NIT-level coach.
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

Topper wrote:From what I see in the blogosphere/twitterverse the outside world sees this as more of a "splash" than many of our fans. We sometimes forget that SMU sports have been an afterthought to most sports fans nationally. I am seeing a lot of people nationally with the perception that SMU is not only headed to the ACC but that we have enticed away a Big 10 coach from a glamor school to go with us. Dallas beats out LA for a guy whose job was not on the line.

That's what I am seeing, too. But when LB is your standard when it comes to splash hires, a lot of eligible candidates are going to fall short.
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

I agree -- this HAD TO be in the works prior to the firing, and I think Lanier knew he was done.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

I would be very surprised if this wasn't a done deal in principle before Lanier's dismissal was announced. I also think that Lanier was probably aware that the NIT was his last rodeo at SMU and that he had already talked to Rice. Contract negotiations involving this kind of money, not to mention family discussions re moving from LA to Dallas don't happen overnight. Only USC may have been caught flat-footed.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

BTW, the top marginal state income tax rate in California is 12.3% and it kicks in around $1 million, depending on filing status.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

I think poaching a good coach from a p4 school qualifies as a splash hire.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:BTW, the top marginal state income tax rate in California is 12.3% and it kicks in around $1 million, depending on filing status.

Yeah but in LA everyone gets free human excrement in their front yard.
highlander
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball