PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I Thought We Were After a Splash Hire?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I Thought We Were After a Splash Hire?

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Apparently one of the names that USC would go for is the SDSU coach. I’m surprised we didn’t make an attempt at him.

Also, if it’s true that the writing was on the wall for Enfield at USC, I hope the buyout, if any, was negligible, as they just signed him for a 6-yr renewal contract a few years ago.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby highlander » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Apparently one of the names that USC would go for is the SDSU coach. I’m surprised we didn’t make an attempt at him.

Also, if it’s true that the writing was on the wall for Enfield at USC, I hope the buyout, if any, was negligible, as they just signed him for a 6-yr renewal contract a few years ago.

I don't think the buyout is negligible, or else they wouldn't still be negotiating it.

Regarding Dutcher (SDSU), dude has been there for 25 years!!! I imagine it would take a lot to pry him away, or else he would have left by now. You don't stay an asst coach at the same mid-major school for 18 years if you're looking to advance your career at the cost of relocating.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

highlander wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Apparently one of the names that USC would go for is the SDSU coach. I’m surprised we didn’t make an attempt at him.

I don't think the buyout is negligible, or else they wouldn't still be negotiating it.

Regarding Dutcher (SDSU), dude has been there for 25 years!!! I imagine it would take a lot to pry him away, or else he would have left by now. You don't stay an asst coach at the same mid-major school for 18 years if you're looking to advance your career at the cost of relocating.

Dutcher would be more affordable but the guy is already 64 years old. Not sure how much longer he intends to stay in the game?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Couldn't wee have waited until USC fired him and picked him up cheap like Rice did with Lanier? Does he bring Bronny with him (do we want him?)?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:Couldn't wee have waited until USC fired him and picked him up cheap like Rice did with Lanier? Does he bring Bronny with him (do we want him?)?

We couldn't have waited. This absolutely needed to be done prior to entering ACC. We needed to change direction now.

Contrary to what you hear, he was not being fired this year by USC. If he had another down year - perhaps.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:Couldn't wee have waited until USC fired him and picked him up cheap like Rice did with Lanier? Does he bring Bronny with him (do we want him?)?

That’s what the old version of SMU would have tried to do.
highlander
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

Still not excited about hiring away an established coach who would have been on the hot seat next season. Seems like thats what the old version of SMU would do.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby soccermom » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

HubbaHubba wrote: Does he bring Bronny with him (do we want him?)?

Personally I wouldn’t want Bronny because I can’t stand his flopper Dad.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

HubbaHubba wrote:Still not excited about hiring away an established coach who would have been on the hot seat next season. Seems like thats what the old version of SMU would do.

Well I, for one, am tired of hiring presumed up-and-comers. We got lucky with Lashlee, but otherwise our track record is not good.
highlander
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 am

Lutz was hired by Ok State. Three years of HC experience but three tournament appearances with A&M Commerce and WKU. Not a splash hire but a bit better than Lanier who had one appearance at Georgia State with an improving trend and an awful experience at Siena twenty years ago.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Hop Sing » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:55 am

This is a great hire, and definitely a ripple if not a splash. He has actual accomplishments vs promise, and change can be rejuvenating. We should all be thankful and excited.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 am

If he brought Bronny James with him, it would be a splash hire. Even if he turns out to be an average player, his name would bring media buzz and guarantee butts in the seats.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby highlander » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 am

Maybe when Bronny comes to the realization that he is not his dad, and never will be, he will stay in college. And then maybe he will follow his coach to Dallas. But I think butts in seats is already all buy guaranteed, given the prestige of the new coach vs the former coaches, and the prestige of the ACC. But yeah, Bronny would be a nice addition.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 am

EastStang wrote:... his name would bring media buzz and guarantee butts in the seats.

Winning will do those things, too.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Hop Sing » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 pm

Bronny is in a no-win situation trying to measure up to his dad, and who knows, it might be a situation that Andy is happy to remove himself from.
Hop Sing
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball