PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BBall thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BBall thoughts

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:14 pm

That was a must win game for the Ponies. I'm not sure if they could have recovered from another loss to TCU. Would have put a damper on the whole season. SMU looked outcoached during the first half. TCU used a basic 2-3 zone daring us to shoot from the outside, which nobody did, hitting 2-17 3 pointers. Could not throw it in the ocean.

Turning point of the game came when there was a big pileup of players in front of the TCU bench during the second half. The crowd and players go into it after that.

I hope B Hop is going to recover this season. He is a shadow of his former self which is still the best point guard we have had in many years.

Great win for the Stangs. I have been smiling since game's end.

Great weekend--2 WBBall wins, football win a MBB win.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: BBall thoughts

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:27 pm

I was enouraged last night, because:

• We shot 2-for-17 from 3-point range.
• We shot 61 percent from the foul line.
• Hopkins was playing on one leg, and couldn't cut or leap

And we STILL beat a good TCU team. Not a great team, but a good team. You have to think that Q, Kris Lowe, Brian Miller, etc., will find their stroke from the 3-point arc at some point. Hopefully tomorrow night.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:40 pm

I hate to disagree but I wasn't very impressed with TCU. Merriex is definitely not a center. He is only capable fo hitting 3 pointers when he is completely unguarded. He had a few putbacks but he is playing way way out of position. Junior Blount is definitely the real deal. That guy can shoot lights out. Santee is also a good player. This TCU team plays a slow-down game now. It is so different from BillyBall. They are going to get killed in C-USA play.

With a completely healthy BHop we might have a chance against TT but I don't see us getting a win out there. Too much home cooking from the refs in Lubbock.

BTW I saw several NTSU players at the game scouting us out.
Nacho

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:18 pm

One scout at the game told me Bingo Merriex and Quinton Ross are both draftable players.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:00 pm

Meriex draftable? Oh come now. Which branch of the service? Here is a guy who couldn't create his own shot if his life depended on it. If you want a guy who shoots 3 point set shots only when there is no one within 10 yards then I might consider him, otherwise he brings nothing to the table.
Nacho

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:12 pm

I disagree. Granted, he's playing badly out of position, but everyone who follows the game remembers when he was drilling 3's from the student section when he was playing on the perimeter, where he belongs. As long as Robert Horry and Steve Kerr have jobs in the NBA, there will be room for Merriex. He's bigger than Kerr, stronger than Horry and more athletic than both. He'll never be an NBA star, but I bet he finds a bench role somewhere.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:24 pm

NBA draftnet has Q going at 49 to Philadelphia. Funnny but Meriex is nowhere in sight. Look he's a pretty decent college player but no way in hades is he going to the NBA. He is an okay college player. Okay college players do not get drafted unless they are 7-6.
Nacho

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:39 pm

1. The best part of last nights game (other than the win) was Q's cutting ability. He really has improved his inside game.

2. What can you say bad about B-Hop. 10 assists? Well-Done! His hip was cleary bothering him.

3. We had no real set plays. Dement has a good amount of telent, but he could take them a lot farther.

4. Tech is not that good, but we will probably lose due to coaching. If the game is close, Knight will find a way to win.

Thanks for the win guys! Makes the season seem so much brighter!
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:07 pm

Nacho,
I think you are wrong about Bingo. He has a NBA body and can shoot. Like Grapevine said, he will never be a star but he could, and likely will, find a role the NBA.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:25 pm

You guys win. He is the next Magic Johnson.
Nacho

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:17 pm

Ha! Good thing you're not going overboard, Nacho!
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby mulletmike » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:37 pm

Bingo can shoot and thats it. No place for an unathletic 6-8 spot shooter that can't create, doesn't board and is a defensive liability.

Kid may have torched us a few times, but that doesn't make him league ready by any stretch. Implying he has that sort of talent, especially when every euro matches that skillset and couples it w/fundamentals, just isn't right.

Q is league ready waaaay before Bingo.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Return to Basketball